Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please confirm to me the rationale behind the QLD government's decision making of late?

On the one hand they have allowed a number of AFL staff members to enter the state. That's fine, but their kids, grand parents and, get this, swimming teachers of the AFL's families have also been permitted to fly up from Melbourne.

(Why are families allowed up there? Isn't it a standard business trip for the AFL employees)

BUT

On the other hand, just one of 4 children will be able to enter into QLD to see their dying father.

I mean seriously what is going on up there?

Gil and Palaszczuk should be held to account on this.

I don't know the rationale regarding the kids and their father. Are they talkinig about quarantining them first or not? I can understand the risk in a cancer ward.
They are focusing a lot on the AFL.
I'd suggest the AFL are paying their way.

Can someone please confirm to me the rationale behind the QLD government's decision making of late?

On the one hand they have allowed a number of AFL staff members to enter the state. That's fine, but their kids, grand parents and, get this, swimming teachers of the AFL's families have also been permitted to fly up from Melbourne.

(Why are families allowed up there? Isn't it a standard business trip for the AFL employees)

BUT

On the other hand, just one of 4 children will be able to enter into QLD to see their dying father.

I would assume the AFL affiliated visitors are required to quarantine for 14 days on entry.

Were the 4 children prepared to do this as well?

BUT

The Herald Sun/Sky News reporting on this has been despicable and just flat out wrong. Again.

The AFL, and the person seeking to go to the funeral, were all given the same exemption. That exemption being the ability to enter Queensland to serve a 14 day quarantine. The family member in this instance was asking for an extra exemption to leave quarantine early and attend the funeral (No AFL person has left 14 day Hotel Quarantine early) which obviously has a large health risk and was denied. They still got an exemption to go to a private viewing since that was deemed low risk.

I get that there’s an election coming up and Murdoch media will do anything to win, but the level of dumb logic in these attacks on the QLD premier is absurd.

TLDR: Letting the AFL into QLD with a 14 day quarantine gives millions to the economy, whilst not increasing the health risk to Queenslanders. Letting people leave hotel quarantine does. It’s that simple.

"Get rid of states"- Jeff Kennett -11/9/2020

And I 100% agree. Open the borders and everyone get on with business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald Sun/Sky News reporting on this has been despicable and just flat out wrong. Again.

The AFL, and the person seeking to go to the funeral, were all given the same exemption. That exemption being the ability to enter Queensland to serve a 14 day quarantine. The family member in this instance was asking for an extra exemption to leave quarantine early and attend the funeral (No AFL person has left 14 day Hotel Quarantine early) which obviously has a large health risk and was denied. They still got an exemption to go to a private viewing since that was deemed low risk.

I get that there’s an election coming up and Murdoch media will do anything to win, but the level of dumb logic in these attacks on the QLD premier is absurd.

TLDR: Letting the AFL into QLD with a 14 day quarantine gives millions to the economy, whilst not increasing the health risk to Queenslanders. Letting people leave hotel quarantine does. It’s that simple.

The only difference is that person had been living in the ACT. So the actual risk was less than the risk of contracting the virus from a Queenslander.

I think it's absolutely heartless and disgraceful for your premier to disallow a person to attend his/her Dad's funeral.

Particularly given that the person involved was from an essentially COVID-free state.

Last I checked the median incubation period is around 5 days. Though it can be up to and even beyond 14, with the current case numbers maybe a risk assessment could suggest a halving of the current quarantine period to one week. A first step as compromise.

Though good luck on compromise now, politicking is taking over.

Last I checked the median incubation period is around 5 days. Though it can be up to and even beyond 14, with the current case numbers maybe a risk assessment could suggest a halving of the current quarantine period to one week. A first step as compromise.

Though good luck on compromise now, politicking is taking over.
Median means that half of all cases will show symptoms after that time. It's craziness to shorten it to a week.
The current system has kept 75% of Australia operating somewhat normally despite Victoria's problems. Weakening border controls - sure it makes business a bit easier, but it would have meant a nationwide lockdown on a similar scale to March/April. The biggest danger to our economic recovery from this is getting caught up in our short term desires. The goal of any exit strategy should be to ensure we don't need anymore extreme measures, because they are properly damaging.

I think it's absolutely heartless and disgraceful for your premier to disallow a person to attend his/her Dad's funeral.

Particularly given that the person involved was from an essentially COVID-free state.
You know what’s worse than missing the funeral of a loved one? Needing to have a funeral of a loved one in the first place. Victoria has had hundreds of extra funerals because of a single mishap in Covid Quarantine Protocols. Giving exemptions for people in quarantine to leave early and interact with the public (as was the case this time) is too high of a risk and was definitely the correct decision.

And as for the ACT border closure, our recent cases came from those girls flying from Melbourne to Brisbane through Sydney while the borders were open. The ACT border needs to stay shut so that loophole along with people from Sydney travelling to Canberra and then Brisbane can’t happen, which is fair enough.

Median means that half of all cases will show symptoms after that time. It's craziness to shorten it to a week.
The current system has kept 75% of Australia operating somewhat normally despite Victoria's problems. Weakening border controls - sure it makes business a bit easier, but it would have meant a nationwide lockdown on a similar scale to March/April. The biggest danger to our economic recovery from this is getting caught up in our short term desires. The goal of any exit strategy should be to ensure we don't need anymore extreme measures, because they are properly damaging.
I’m not talking overseas quarantine, which obviously stays at a fortnight for the foreseeable future, but between States with single figure daily case numbers, I think it would add extremely little extra risk.

You know what’s worse than missing the funeral of a loved one? Needing to have a funeral of a loved one in the first place. Victoria has had hundreds of extra funerals because of a single mishap in Covid Quarantine Protocols. Giving exemptions for people in quarantine to leave early and interact with the public (as was the case this time) is too high of a risk and was definitely the correct decision.

And as for the ACT border closure, our recent cases came from those girls flying from Melbourne to Brisbane through Sydney while the borders were open. The ACT border needs to stay shut so that loophole along with people from Sydney travelling to Canberra and then Brisbane can’t happen, which is fair enough.

You know dieing without dignity is the worst part of dieing in this situation?

Deadset truth is if QLD govt can invest funds to protect Tom Hanks to let him in without a quarantine period they should be able to invest money for AUSTRALIAN citizens to do the same when doing so for a VERY VERY important reason

If people are happy to live in a country where Tom Hanks movie is more important then our own citizens dieing with dignity then so be it. I wont be one of those people however

You know dieing without dignity is the worst part of dieing in this situation?

Deadset truth is if QLD govt can invest funds to protect Tom Hanks to let him in without a quarantine period they should be able to invest money for AUSTRALIAN citizens to do the same when doing so for a VERY VERY important reason

If people are happy to live in a country where Tom Hanks movie is more important then our own citizens dieing with dignity then so be it. I wont be one of those people however
I’d say the dying part is the worst part about dying to be honest. And once again,

Tom Hanks is in quarantine.
The AFL transition hub players/officials/families are in quarantine.
And the person who wanted to attend the funeral was in quarantine. They then got an exemption to have a solo viewing at the funeral home without interacting with the general public.

I’d say the dying part is the worst part about dying to be honest. And once again,

Tom Hanks is in quarantine.
The AFL transition hub players/officials/families are in quarantine.
And the person who wanted to attend the funeral was in quarantine. They then got an exemption to have a solo viewing at the funeral home without interacting with the general public.

They really are not, I mean The AFL players getting kebabs at 3AM is a odd way of quarantining if you ask me.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back