Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
How would a 17 year old being drafted to the other side of the country be able to be part time at the club and part time school?

What about the the guys that didn’t get pick up as a 17 year old? won’t they still have pressure on them during their u18 year?
Dangerfield stayed in Geelong and finished his studies during his first year at the Crows.

Other than maybe being a dickhead, it didn't seem to hurt him.

How would a 17 year old being drafted to the other side of the country be able to be part time at the club and part time school?

What about the the guys that didn’t get pick up as a 17 year old? won’t they still have pressure on them during their u18 year?

Dangerfield still went to school in Melbourne, then travelled to Adelaide during school holidays and even managed to make his debut - It can be done.

Dangerfield stayed in Geelong and finished his studies during his first year at the Crows.

Other than maybe being a dickhead, it didn't seem to hurt him.
Dangerfield still went to school in Melbourne, then travelled to Adelaide during school holidays and even managed to make his debut - It can be done.
How were Dangerfield‘s school grades?
Lucky for him he turned out to be an exceptional footballer and he didn’t need his grades to get into university.

What about the 17 year olds that got drafted that didn’t turn out to be football stars?

They didn’t raise the draft age to 18 back in 2009 for the 17 year olds that turned out to be stars, they raised for the ones that didn’t.

Last edited:

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Lucky for him he turned out to be an exceptional footballer and he didn’t need his grades to get into university.

What about the 17 year olds that got drafted that didn’t turn out to be football stars?

They didn’t raise the draft age to 18 back in 2009 for the 17 year olds that turned out to be stars, they raised for the ones that didn’t.
They didn't do it for the kids at all.

They did it so the club's didn't waste picks on undeveloped kids who never amounted to anything.

The strike rate of predicting how an 18 year old will ultimately perform is exponentially better than predicting 17 year olds.

There's no reason to suggest waiting another year improves that again - not by enough that kids should be denied being drafted into an AFL environment.

They didn't do it for the kids at all.

They did it so the club's didn't waste picks on undeveloped kids who never amounted to anything.

The strike rate of predicting how an 18 year old will ultimately perform is exponentially better than predicting 17 year olds.

There's no reason to suggest waiting another year improves that again - not by enough that kids should be denied being drafted into an AFL environment.
First I’ve heard of it being changed because clubs were wasting picks.

I’ve always thought it was changed because 17 year olds were getting selected, not getting the right education and then not making it as Footballers.

Any info that backs your claim?

3EA380A9-3DC9-45C8-9377-5E1B473B66BF.jpeg

What is the difference doing your last year of school whether or not you are on an AFL list - Some may think year 12 is easier to manage if you are already on an AFL list as clubs will ensure school is a priority.

What is the difference doing your last year of school whether or not you are on an AFL list - Some may think year 12 is easier to manage if you are already on an AFL list as clubs will ensure school is a priority.
Because young people think they’ve made it already once they are on an AFL list and doing well at school isn’t important to them.

Why would clubs make school a priority? They aren’t your parent, they aren’t your school teacher, clubs priorities are to put a winning team on the footy field for their paying members, their job isn’t to check to see if you’ve done your homework.

Last edited:

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
First I’ve heard of it being changed because clubs were wasting picks.

I’ve always thought it was changed because 17 year olds were getting selected, not getting the right education and then not making it as Footballers.

Any info that backs your claim?

View attachment 862932
Back my claims?

It's complete common sense. I'm arguing the clubs were motivated by self interest, you seem to be arguing it's from concern for the educational future of some young lads.

17 year olds can be seen to have had a higher failure rate for where they're drafted than 18 year olds. Maybe it's because they were all incredibly concerned and distracted by their tech studies class, or maybe it's because they still had unpredictable physical development to make.

In any event, 18 seems to work well.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
In any event - if you have other priorities, do them and then enter the draft.

Where are all these horror stories about 18 year old draftees who's lifes have fallen apart? It's a complete beat up.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Carey wasn’t earning over $1m+ a year. It was over his whole contract (multiple years) that he was earning a million.
He was the first player to sign a million dollar contract, but the contract was worth a million, not what he got each year.
Carey was apparently on close to a million all up in 1999: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-afl-clubs-have-stopped-paying-a-million-20150124-12xivs.html

Alastair Lynch's 1994 10-year deal would surely have cracked the million mark.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Carey was apparently on close to a million all up in 1999: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-afl-clubs-have-stopped-paying-a-million-20150124-12xivs.html

Alastair Lynch's 1994 10-year deal would surely have cracked the million mark.

Carey was never on a million a year, even by 99. Clubs are struggling to pay marquee players that now some 20 years later. Clubs are richer, the salary cap has increased and it’s still a struggle.

I could be wrong about Carey being the first million dollar contract player, but I distinctly remember reading it in the paper as a kid. It would have been read in the Herald Sun, so don’t take it as gospel.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because young people think they’ve made it already once they are on an AFL list and doing well at school isn’t important to them.

Why would clubs make school a priority? They aren’t your parent, they aren’t your school teacher, clubs priorities are to put a winning team on the footy field for their paying members, their job isn’t to check to see if you’ve done your homework.

There have been plenty of 17 years old drafted in the past who have done well on and off the field - It's likely the majority of drafted 17 year olds will attend private schools where education is taken seriously.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Carey was never on a million a year, even by 99. Clubs are struggling to pay marquee players that now some 20 years later. Clubs are richer, the salary cap has increased and it’s still a struggle.

I could be wrong about Carey being the first million dollar contract player, but I distinctly remember reading it in the paper as a kid. It would have been read in the Herald Sun, so don’t take it as gospel.

Carey was on a mill a year on his last contract at north, it’s been well documented he took a fair chuck of their salary cap. In this day and age it’d be like a player being on 2-2.5 a year, clubs would rather spread the money around to create a stronger team. 1 player on 2.5 mill or 3 players on 800k roughly.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be honest, I'm still spewing that the AFL aren't using this to raise the draft age to 20.

The picks that would have been assigned over the two seasons get tallied into points, those points are then used in a "pick auction" where clubs bid for each pick in the draft. The 2020 crop then gets drafted in 2022, the 2021 crop in 2023 and so fourth...

Seemed like the AFL had it handed to them on a gold platter, with bonus theatrics for the pick auction in the post season of 2021.

Universities could have run scholarship programs with the option to defer upon drafting, creating income for what will be a struggling industry (higher education).

The benefits of an older draft age are there to see clearly, and yet the AFL has botched it imo.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Carey was on a mill a year on his last contract at north, it’s been well documented he took a fair chuck of their salary cap. In this day and age it’d be like a player being on 2-2.5 a year, clubs would rather spread the money around to create a stronger team. 1 player on 2.5 mill or 3 players on 800k roughly.
Actually - this was discussed in detail on the SACKED podcast last month. Carey was on a million a year, but North were able to do the majority of it outside of the salary cap by licensing his image rights and other IP from Ricky Nixon.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
To be honest, I'm still spewing that the AFL aren't using this to raise the draft age to 20.

The picks that would have been assigned over the two seasons get tallied into points, those points are then used in a "pick auction" where clubs bid for each pick in the draft. The 2020 crop then gets drafted in 2022, the 2021 crop in 2023 and so fourth...

Seemed like the AFL had it handed to them on a gold platter, with bonus theatrics for the pick auction in the post season of 2021.

Universities could have run scholarship programs with the option to defer upon drafting, creating income for what will be a struggling industry (higher education).

The benefits of an older draft age are there to see clearly, and yet the AFL has botched it imo.

None of those are good ideas. Sorry. And none are worth young footballers losing two years of their career and having their development stalled.

Seriously - you're proposing NO young men are drafted into the league for TWO years? What about rebuilding clubs? They give up for two years?

All for what?

A pick auction? We can trade for picks now. Helping higher education - sorry, but just one University alone has lost $500m this year, a handful of kids getting some scholarships won't help. And who's giving the scholarships? To which players?

I mean - wow.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Actually - this was discussed in detail on the SACKED podcast last month. Carey was on a million a year, but North were able to do the majority of it outside of the salary cap by licensing his image rights and other IP from Ricky Nixon.
Carey was on a mill a year plus 500k outside the salary cap through nixon.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He wasn’t on a million a year through the salary cap. How on earth would North have done that in a star studded side back then with the salary cap so much lower?
Ricky Nixon found some loopholes to up his salary, but that was outside the cap.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the salary cap around 2000 was just over 2 million. Carey is taking half and the rest of the list is splitting a million between them all. A side that had just won a premiership and also just paid decent money to poach Colbert.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s the group I was thinking of.

You can add much more prominent names than that.

Pretty sure McCluggage, Taranto, or Rayner weren’t spoken about as top talents until during their top age year.

This time last year Lachie Ash was spoken about as a second round prospect.
There is no way Ash was outside top ten, he was a beast in his underage year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
There is no way Ash was outside top ten, he was a beast in his underage year.
Either Pie 4 Life or eDPS had him in the 15 to 25 range, I think, on their first rankings for the year. I can’t go back to check, as they continually update their op rankings.

I even had a discussion in @eDPS’s 2018 draft thread, in January 2019, with the ex recruiter Draft Potential, about Potter, Ash and Brock Smith (hey we drafted Smith).

Ash was definitely outside the top 10 on some draft watchers boards early in 2019.

Back