News Coronavirus and the draft

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Either Pie 4 Life or eDPS had him in the 15 to 25 range, I think, on their first rankings for the year. I can’t go back to check, as they continually update their op rankings.

I even had a discussion in @eDPS’s 2018 draft thread, in January 2019, with the ex recruiter Draft Potential, about Potter, Ash and Brock Smith (hey we drafted Smith).

Ash was definitely outside the top 10 on some draft watchers boards early in 2019.
I had him far too low on my original rankings, felt really silly having him so late haha

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Either Pie 4 Life or eDPS had him in the 15 to 25 range, I think, on their first rankings for the year. I can’t go back to check, as they continually update their op rankings.

I even had a discussion in @eDPS’s 2018 draft thread, in January 2019, with the ex recruiter Draft Potential, about Potter, Ash and Brock Smith (hey we drafted Smith).

Ash was definitely outside the top 10 on some draft watchers boards early in 2019.

Interesting, he was high on my personal list last year. Just trying to think of some names that were higher.

Rowell, Anderson, Gould, Jackson... Those are about the only names I can think were higher.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If APS sport starts up in July as being reported, surely the afl will also let the nab league commence. Bit unfair that only the prospects playing at aps schools get to play and impress recruiters.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Whispers are saying AFL back in late June, i would expect NAB League a week or 2 later unless the government gives them all a date for it to commence, then they may all resume on the same week?, its just a wait and see proposition atm.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whispers are saying AFL back in late June, i would expect NAB League a week or 2 later unless the government gives them all a date for it to commence, then they may all resume on the same week?, its just a wait and see proposition atm.

I don’t think the Nab league will start anywhere near the AFL date. The AFL is going to be full lock out games or playing at a hub in a remote location.
I can’t see the AFL having the resources to do anything like this with the Nab league. I doubt state government would allow it either.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t think the Nab league will start anywhere near the AFL date. The AFL is going to be full lock out games or playing at a hub in a remote location.
I can’t see the AFL having the resources to do anything like this with the Nab league. I doubt state government would allow it either.

Difference is nab league don’t have to travel to other cities interstate to play. I can see the nab league beginning (no cases spike permitting) late July early August, which will most likely 7-8 weeks after afl.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would the NAB league start back up as the same time as school footy?

Seeing as the AFL fund the NAB league, any chance the AFL says it doesn’t have the money to run the league?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Difference is nab league don’t have to travel to other cities interstate to play. I can see the nab league beginning (no cases spike permitting) late July early August, which will most likely 7-8 weeks after afl.

I just can’t see games of footy being played at local footy grounds in the next few months. 44 kids on the ground, not to mention staff, family, friends, supporters turning up, coming from all walks of life.
AFL clubs have to travel, but they have the resources to quarantine and isolate players if need be. A bunch of kids and various other people coming together on weekend, who could have been exposed to who knows what.
I think elite sports who have the ability to relocate, isolate,quarantine, etc will be going months before amateur sport.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I just can’t see games of footy being played at local footy grounds in the next few months. 44 kids on the ground, not to mention staff, family, friends, supporters turning up, coming from all walks of life.
AFL clubs have to travel, but they have the resources to quarantine and isolate players if need be. A bunch of kids and various other people coming together on weekend, who could have been exposed to who knows what.
I think elite sports who have the ability to relocate, isolate,quarantine, etc will be going months before amateur sport.

If aps sport is allowed to restart nab league would be no different

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Do all VFL players get match day payments?

I only ask, because if the NAB League age is raised to 19, and an 18 year old declares for the draft, and goes undrafted, would he choose to return to the NAB league, or play in the VFL.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Do all VFL players get match day payments?

I only ask, because if the NAB League age is raised to 19, and an 18 year old declares for the draft, and goes undrafted, would he choose to return to the NAB league, or play in the VFL.
A few that come back to nab league are aligned to vfl clubs and when they don’t play there they play nab league (so majority of nab league games) . Archie Manton and Isaac wareham were a couple of kids doing that this year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It’s mostly AFL clubs that decide who they want to see as 19 year olds playing NAB League
A few that come back to nab league are aligned to vfl clubs and when they don’t play there they play nab league (so majority of nab league games) . Archie Manton and Isaac wareham were a couple of kids doing that this year.
I’m talking about next year, and in to the future if they raise the NAB League age to 19, as has been widely discussed in the media.

Draft age remains 18, but all the junior competitions age is raised is raised to 19.

Might not impact the VFL, SANFL or WAFL clubs, but it will impact the Northern clubs if our reserves have to join the VFL.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Herald Sun article detailing potential to combine the vfl and nab league for this season, not sure how that would work. Anyone got access to the article, seems like a flimsy idea to me, some kids would get mauled by vfl guys.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Prediction:

* June 11th AFL round 2
* season to run through September and finals in October - 17 game season/ top 8 finals
* first month games to be played in the eastern states with possibly SA opening up(4-5 rounds into the start) and then possibly WA opening up afterwards?.
* AFL clubs to play friendlies with each other for players not in the AFL system, not a competition, more practice matches to keep the squad players fit.
* NAB League unknown, but the people running the NAB League would like to be back by June 23rd i would think at a guess? and since schools are back in Victoria they might also try and get that going as soon as they can also?, this one im not really sure on because theres so many different groups to make decisions yet and amateur sport and school sport is yet to have any clear pathway atm.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Prediction:

* June 11th AFL round 2
* season to run through September and finals in October - 17 game season/ top 8 finals
* first month games to be played in the eastern states with possibly SA opening up(4-5 rounds into the start) and then possibly WA opening up afterwards?.
* AFL clubs to play friendlies with each other for players not in the AFL system, not a competition, more practice matches to keep the squad players fit.
* NAB League unknown, but the people running the NAB League would like to be back by June 23rd i would think at a guess? and since schools are back in Victoria they might also try and get that going as soon as they can also?, this one im not really sure on because theres so many different groups to make decisions yet and amateur sport and school sport is yet to have any clear pathway atm.
I doubt nab league can get back by then, mid July would be more hopeful.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nab league on hold until at least August. If APS, Sanfl, WAFL start in July now that’s bias.
Explain the bias?

SA and WA are independent leagues in states with almost no active cases.

APS is different though. Same state, should be governed by the same rules.

Unless the AFL/Nab League are making a financial decision to start later.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Wouldn’t say 10 cases a day in a population of 5 million is a ‘spike’ as the media like to label it.
No, but 20 new cases today is.

6C57FEFD-CF33-41A3-A3EC-F0696413D9C7.jpeg

Back