Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are in the era of New New Keynesian where the government is stimulating the economy but there is no economy to stimulate ;)
Well not really, people need money for food and the essentials but I expect the Keynesian models will be unleashed when we open the economy up again?

Keynes pretty much said that government should spend like crazy during bad times, ie do the opposite of what the market is doing.

Raising taxes and saving money is what governments don't do during good times, which was the other side of the Keynes coin. People always seem to conveniently forget that part when deriding stimulus spending.

Personally I think it might be the moment to try MMT. Print all the money we need to spend through the crisis. Inflation seems an unlikely outcome when things are this bad. Won't happen in Australia though because our leaders lack imagination. Got a feeling some countries will try that though and I look forward to seeing the results.

The US racked up 120k new cases in 7 days (23rd March - 30th March)

The US racked up 120k new cases in 7 days (23rd March - 30th March)

I think the US are going to be the test case for how bad this thing can get, though it'll wildly vary between states as it did during the Spanish Flu. Will be interesting to see if it does in fact peak in two weeks.

I think the US are going to be the test case for how bad this thing can get, though it'll wildly vary between states as it did during the Spanish Flu. Will be interesting to see if it does in fact peak in two weeks.

Majority of their states are fine, it's just New York/New Jersey which is the massive outlier at the moment

Keynes pretty much said that government should spend like crazy during bad times, ie do the opposite of what the market is doing.

Raising taxes and saving money is what governments don't do during good times, which was the other side of the Keynes coin. People always seem to conveniently forget that part when deriding stimulus spending.

Personally I think it might be the moment to try MMT. Print all the money we need to spend through the crisis. Inflation seems an unlikely outcome when things are this bad. Won't happen in Australia though because our leaders lack imagination. Got a feeling some countries will try that though and I look forward to seeing the results.

Yep only 1 part of Keynesian economic is ever done which is why I have always been critical of it. Government spending now is fine but will we pay any of this 160 billion back? Nope.

Ah well what can you do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is the red tape of trying to lock down their cities with the Governors all ready cracking it.

Over two weeks in Australia we have day by day locked down portions of our country without to much fuss from everyone.

I mean yes we have some idiots complaining about being in a fully paid for 5 star hotel and we have had heaps of other idiots still flood the beachs.

Kids going to Florida on spring break, catching it, then going back to their home state will transmit it further also. What a clusterfcuk over there.

We had similar with back packers in Bondi not giving a *, there's now a large cluster in that area as a result

I think its more high density living has its drawbacks.

The issue now is fleeing NY'ers spreading it.

Escape from New York 2020.

Still 1000s of flights a day going across the US, they don't seem to be locking down their interstate borders just yet

Majority of their states are fine, it's just New York/New Jersey which is the massive outlier at the moment
More than NY/Jersey are going to get pumped.
Florida is doubling every 3 days same as NY just started later.
Latest numbers

Honestly you needed to basically lockdown NY weeks ago but you just can't do that in the US. NY would go nuts and probably ignore it anyway.

Would you be willing to put the National Guard to use locking the place down?

More than NY/Jersey are going to get pumped.
Florida is doubling every 3 days same as NY just started later.
Latest numbers

AHHH been trying to find the breakdown per state cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back