Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a virus that runs it's course , burns out . Do people overseas still get Ebola or Sars ?
Take with a grain of salt since I am not an expert, but I believe the infection rate is lower in SARS but the mortality rate is way higher. So what you get is people dying out before it spreads too far.

Covid19 has a very high infection rate, some 2.6 people infected on average by every carrier. Its mortality rate is lower but because it is spread more easily, the overall number of deaths is higher.

Take with a grain of salt since I am not an expert, but I believe the infection rate is lower in SARS but the mortality rate is way higher. So what you get is people dying out before it spreads too far.

Covid19 has a very high infection rate, some 2.6 people infected on average by every carrier. Its mortality rate is lower but because it is spread more easily, the overall number of deaths is higher.
This is pretty much spot on.

I heard they are trialing about 5 different versions around the world. There is huge money for the team that gets it right first. The reason it takes so long to trial is they have to make sure it is actually effective. If they roll out one that doesn't work 100%, then it could stuff us all up big time.
They also have to be sure the side effects aren't worse than the disease they are trying vaccinate against. There a few cases where vaccines which have been rushed into use killed people. It's why vaccines usually take up to a decade to be developed.
Unfortunately we don't have a decade to spare with covid 19.

Might be a virus that runs it's course , burns out . Do people overseas still get Ebola or Sars ?
Ebola is a very different type of beast. It's a viral hemorrhagic fever. And yes, it still regularly pops up. There is an ongoing outbreak in DR Congo that started in 2018, which WHO said in 2019 may last for another 3 years.

SARS is a zoonotic coronavirus closely related in style to C-19. Basically an older variant. Has only been the one big outbreak, 2002-2004. So people aren't still getting it.

Ebola is a very different type of beast. It's a viral hemorrhagic fever. And yes, it still regularly pops up. There is an ongoing outbreak in DR Congo that started in 2018, which WHO said in 2019 may last for another 3 years.

SARS is a zoonotic coronavirus closely related in style to C-19. Basically an older variant. Has only been the one big outbreak, 2002-2004. So people aren't still getting it.

The Congo Ebola outbreak is actually coming under control far faster than previously anticipated and may be declared over in the next month or two, apparently.

There is zero doubt there are asymptomatic carriers in Australia, and there is zero doubt there is some level of community transmission in Australia. But you cannot test everyone who has no symptoms, it's logistically impossible and more worryingly would lead to a depletion of tests when they are not infinite in supply.

"Oh well my work friend was in the same building as a positive test, should I get tested even thought I have no symptoms?" It would be irresponsible to waste a test on that. So you try and figure out what symptoms the majority of those with COVID-19 have, and go from there. Test, isolate, trace.

Even the South Koreans didn't test whole suburbs or apartment buildings and we hold that up as a model for extensive testing.

The message has been pretty consistent about social distancing for the past few weeks - the idea of separating yourself from others and limiting non-essential gatherings and travel is because of the assumption that you may be carrying it.

I think it's you that's missing the point. It's a serious issue but let's not be alarmist here.
Personally ill listen to epidemiologists

Another solid day. Any time the dots are below the line on the % graph things are moving the right way.
covid-19.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent all of my time in Adelaide gallivanting up around the hills. What a great part of Australia!
Yeah i was blessed to grow up my teenage years at the foothills.

Perth is home but if i got another chance to move there for a bit, I'll take it.

How awful

Hospitals are full of really awful bacteria and viruses. If the doctor followed the standard infection control procedures there would be no risk. I assume they did (hence no infection) so this is the media making something sounds worse than it was.

It’s been a while since I’ve been there but they both strike me as great places to live and terrible places to visit. Not a lot to do for the tourist.

Really depends what you're into. I think after this covid is over with, people might appreciate the smaller, quieter and more isolated places. All the razzmatazz of the big lights is rather shallow, isn't it?

I couple of things jump out of those stats- NSW with 2200 cases only has 4 recovered and WA with 400 cases has 48 recovered.
% of cases hospitalized in NSW 2.34 and WA is 13.78. You would have to think there is some relationship in regards to more treatment and recovery.

I couple of things jump out of those stats- NSW with 2200 cases only has 4 recovered and WA with 400 cases has 48 recovered.
% of cases hospitalized in NSW 2.34 and WA is 13.78. You would have to think there is some relationship in regards to more treatment and recovery.
Concerning is the number of ICU beds in use already in WA, nearly 10% of ICU beds are already being used. Could be because of the Artania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back