Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact III “WA - An Island within an Island”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think McGowan has done a great job. If he went and opened the boarders early and we started getting cases everyone would jump up and down we went to early.

Look it sucks we might have to play our early games interstate but that isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things as at least we will have some form of football to watch. He is taking it day by day and not giving out false promises like other premiers and who knows we might even be relaxing a lot more as of next week.

It hasn't been that bad in Perth compared to other states where you are locked into your house 24/7 where as here we have been able to enjoy the outdoors quite a bit and now we can see our friends and family. I was surprised he went ahead and relaxed it to allow up to 10 people in the same house.

Quit ya winging.

Here in Perth...

- You can go to restaurants to grab food
- You can go to the hardware store
- You can leave the house as many times as you like
- You can go to the beach
- You don't need a written permission slip to leave the house

etc

People whining about these restrictions need some perspective. It's worse in the big 3 eastern states and far worse in the rest of the world.

Also, a lot of people think that "OMG McGowan has bought on unemployment and reduced tourism, shrunk GDP etc..."

Find me a country or area that hasn't the last three months.

I don't know who those people are but as a Liberal voter I will again go on the record and sing his praises in this thread. I think he's been outstanding in very trying times. He has stood up as a fantastic leader.

First official to give it to the AFL and stand his ground .... Mark McGowan wins the Grand Final just for this brought the whole bias treatment to a head .
Eagles will be ok they changed in their cars before training at surbarban grounds in there formative years ...the inconvenience of going wherever won't matter .
Plus we're going into winter so this virus is still a threat to many .

If that's the cost of no-one else dying of Covid-19 in WA, nor risking catching it in WA, then I'm cool with that.
Plenty like me who wont accept his stance on the AFL. He will lose a lot of goodwill in a position most politicians would envy.

Plenty like me who wont accept his stance on the AFL. He will lose a lot of goodwill in a position most politicians would envy.
Small-minded idiots. Starting up AFL again isn't going to help bring peoples' jobs back. It isn't going to do anything for the average Joe other than give them something extra to watch on TV. It's not worth ******* up all the good work we've done so far.

He won't.

People posting on an Australian rules football forum will of course have strong views on the resumption of the AFL season. But we are a tiny minority of the voting public. The more casual fans will completely understand it's just entertainment - it's not going to reduce unemployment rates or slow the spread of COVID-19. If games can be played with near-zero risk, then sure - but at this point there is no compelling case for exemptions for home and away travel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in 2 minds about the whole thing.
On one hand I'm definitely keen to see some footy again, and with Australia doing so well it feels deliciously close to happening. Much closer than I ever would have guessed had you asked me 6 weeks ago. On the other hand, f#ck the AFL.

P.S. Bravo WA. 7 zeros in a row is freakin awesome.

Apparently AFL are asking us and freo to pick and choose where we want to play our home games. rofl looks like we wont even get a block of Perth games at the end of the season as we're playing 'home' games interstate. Would rather just pull out of the comp for the year tbh
And look how they try to play it off as an “advantage” to us lmao. Big pass on that if we’re not getting any compensation for having to forfeit home games, other than getting to choose which shithole we play at (that isn’t Optus).

Think there’s only two scenarios I’d take, a WA/SA hub or a block of away games to start the season followed by a block of home games when our restrictions are lifted. Only issue with that would be the unpredictability of our timing of lifting things, when a definite fixture is needed.

Also on top of that, if we could get a multiple away and multiple home game system working successfully I wouldn’t mind it being trialled full time. Have “road trips” like the basketball leagues to stop the back and forth flying (understand that’s a little different when you’re playing weekly rather than every other day though).

McGowan knows he is on a winner acting tough against the Eastern Staters. He knows he is on a winner when he bags people on cruise ships or the one Rio Tinto worker who went to Bali but not the thousands arriving from other places. He has done a good job especially early when leadership was lacking in the country but lets not be blind to the politics.

McGowan has done a good job with the virus, but the bigger challenge will be the economy. If they cant get the economy pumping in a reasonable timeframe, no one will remember or care about the virus. I dont envy him.

The ray of sunlight is that they have given themselves the opportunity to open up restrictions earlier. They may get by playing the relativity card - "at least we're better than Vic/NZ/Europe/USA. Guess we'll see how that goes.

mcgowan

FriendlyFirstBluetickcoonhound-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back