Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact III “WA - An Island within an Island”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the AFL be pushing it as a hard situation for family’s that it might put pressure on the government to give them an exemption to travel?
But health wise they would travel and have to stay isolated in family groups. If not cross infection would be a massive risk. Just anothe dumb AFL thought bubble.

7AFL

@7AFL

·
8m

High level medical advisers have told the AFL that quarantine hubs aren't the answer and they should begin planning to push forward without them.

Bit of footage of Kelly in that tweet ( Not sure how to link the video) saying it would be tough on his wife if it came to hubs.

Sounds to me they might need to convince the state premiers to allow interstate travel. I dunno i have a feeling that in a months time if we are staying the same course case wise i think the Government would allow it and say that AFL is essential service as it is for work.

7AFL
@7AFL

·
8m

High level medical advisers have told the AFL that quarantine hubs aren't the answer and they should begin planning to push forward without them.

Bit of footage of Kelly in that tweet ( Not sure how to link the video) saying it would be tough on his wife if it came to hubs.

Sounds to me they might need to convince the state premiers to allow interstate travel. I dunno i have a feeling that in a months time if we are staying the same course case wise i think the Government would allow it and say that AFL is essential service as it is for work.
Victoria's government are being the most cautious of any state, so that's going to have a big impact.

Its time the national competition cut the apron strings with the VFL anyway. Set them adrift and we will get on with it.😋
God I would love to have an 8-team non-Victorian comp this season and then hear their whingeing when the winner adds it to their premiership tally. "What's that you say? It doesn't count because it was a different competition? Hmmm"

Victoria's government are being the most cautious of any state, so that's going to have a big impact.

True, but I think they've hamstrung themselves a little with declaring (then extending) a state of emergency until 11th May. If they try to wind it back early then some serious questions will be asked (and no doubt processes will change) for any future SOE declarations.

That said, as soon as that ends the state can wind back as many restrictions as they want - so I don't expect it to impact the AFL too much further (further than it already has) and certainly not the season-proper (possibly the preseason training block, but even that is unlikely with the mooted early-June return date)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the new cases are linked to a cluster at an aged care home. It demonstrates how if even one case goes unnoticed that it can quickly balloon out the numbers and at an aged care home sadly it is likely to lead to deaths.

Even if WA records zero cases again today (hopefully) it demonstrates you still need to stay on top of it.

As much as I don't enjoy saying it - surely the logical extension of Australia's risk appetite on all this stuff means that footy is simply cancelled this year? If they can't even get health expert support around the hub/bubble (hubbles?) idea, then they're already stuffed.

Let's just call it and focus on more important things, I'm sorry to say.

As much as I don't enjoy saying it - surely the logical extension of Australia's risk appetite on all this stuff means that footy is simply cancelled this year? If they can't even get health expert support around the hub/bubble (hubbles?) idea, then they're already stuffed.

Port currently sitting top of the ladder though so they could be awarded the flag by default and I won’t be having that

If this happens, what are the implications for the AFL's revenues, and therefore their distributions to the clubs?

What I'm getting at is, if the AFL loses its broadcast revenue for 2020, will the effect be that some clubs will become insolvent?

If this happens, what are the implications for the AFL's revenues, and therefore their distributions to the clubs?

What I'm getting at is, if the AFL loses its broadcast revenue for 2020, will the effect be that some clubs will become insolvent?
For the future of the game and it becoming a true national fairer competition I hope so

What's the down side?
Never let a good crisis go to waste - Winston Churchill

MCG it is!

822604.jpg

WA Clubs: Zero new cases in WA today!
AFL: MCG it is
WA clubs: No, no "zero new cases"
AFL: MCG
WA Clubs: Ze-ro Cas-es
AFL: MC-G
WA Clubs: Z-E
AFL: M-C