Not open for further replies.

download_20210427_102117.jpg

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
McGowan suggested that anyone coming from India should have to transit somewhere else for at least 3 days and get a negative test from that location.
Not sure how that will work in practice given most countries have restrictions that mean that anything other than citizens/PRs can't hang around in transit for that long...

Geez starting to really push the India agenda now.

Got have a boogeyman/scapegoat to blame the problems on rather so you can ignore your own shortcomings

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching the WA Premier press conference this morning reminds me of another outstanding issue that we are ignoring - I can hardly hear the Jurnos‘ voice in the press conference. I guess the problem is that the Jornos‘ microphones were not speaking directly to the camera while the premier‘s mic was.

Is this problem difficult to correct? I dont think do.
If you compare the sound quality of the AFL post match press conference between 2020 and 2021. (which are still available from the AFL site) AFL has corrected the same problem in 2021.

Hope the Govt (or whoever was contracted to do this communication task) can correct this problem in the future press conferences. At the moment, I have to guess the questions from the answers most of the time.

Last edited:

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
Don't be conned by McGowan's attempt to blame his stuff ups on the Feds. The states agreed last year to do hotel quarantine and it is mostly working. If our WA Gov had closed the well known risks with airborne transmission (this is likely how the guard got it in Jan and Melbourne's outbreak around the same time was caused by it), none of this would have happened. They even commissioned a report into it which was delivered to them on 8th April. Absolutely shocking incompetence.

I'm not quite sure the states 'agreed' to do hotel quarantine. I think it was clear from the outset that the federal government wanted nothing to do with such a hot topic. When the states signed up, they assumed/hoped we would be vaccinated as soon as possible. So 'ok, we'll do quarantine, you do vaccines' was probably the agreement.

You can understand why the states might be now getting tired of trying to keep hotel quarantine stitched together. It was never 100% safe - they all said that (fair enough, sounds like this hotel specifically was way less than 100% safe, so that's on the WA government). But they also probably thought they would only need to tough it out for 12 months or so.

Now it looks like it will be for another year at least and, even though the vaccine rollout is a mess, the federal government is showing zero signs of helping with building/re-purposing facilities to step into the breach.

So, yeah, McGowan is using the bigger, higher level failing of the feds to cover his local failings, for sure. But there is some truth to it.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The worst offenders I have seen are young women with face masks around their chin. Either gabbing to the person they're walking with, or on the phone.

It makes me conflicted, because on one hand, I know that most of the masks we are wearing have very poor filtration and fit, so are not fit for purpose. On the other hand, I have to wear one, so they should too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not quite sure the states 'agreed' to do hotel quarantine. I think it was clear from the outset that the federal government wanted nothing to do with such a hot topic. When the states signed up, they assumed/hoped we would be vaccinated as soon as possible. So 'ok, we'll do quarantine, you do vaccines' was probably the agreement.

You can understand why the states might be now getting tired of trying to keep hotel quarantine stitched together. It was never 100% safe - they all said that (fair enough, sounds like this hotel specifically was way less than 100% safe, so that's on the WA government). But they also probably thought they would only need to tough it out for 12 months or so.

Now it looks like it will be for another year at least and, even though the vaccine rollout is a mess, the federal government is showing zero signs of helping with building/re-purposing facilities to step into the breach.

So, yeah, McGowan is using the bigger, higher level failing of the feds to cover his local failings, for sure. But there is some truth to it.
There is some truth, but it is mainly a poorly disguised attempt at deflection. However it started, the states are now running hotel quarantine and I don't see that changing. Even if our entire population was vaccinated, we probably wouldn't accept people in without quarantine, unless they are also vaccinated, so I'm not sure that changes anything.

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
There is some truth, but it is mainly a poorly disguised attempt at deflection. However it started, the states are now running hotel quarantine and I don't see that changing. Even if our entire population was vaccinated, we probably wouldn't accept people in without quarantine, unless they are also vaccinated, so I'm not sure that changes anything.

If we were all vaccinated, we would not need to lockdown when the inevitable breaches happen.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A very rough estimate:
$70 million loss in this lockdown probably enough to manufacture 7000 "container house" suitable for covid quarantine.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
When it comes to the flawed vaccine rollout, McGowan hasn't been outspoken at all really, especially compared to someone like Berejiklian who has been surprisingly outspoken towards the Federal government.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
700, maybe. They need to be fitted off (plumbing, gas, electrical), furnished and transported, then connected into services at the destination.
$7000 each is the quote I had last year including delivery. It even has a small kitchen and toilet of course.
You are right, there are site cost but it is done in bulk, the price will be cheaper plus no GST for the govt task in this case.
Bear in mind the 7000 houses I mentioned is manfacturing excluding installation and is a very rough estimate. (I have already factored in $3000 each for contingency and made it $10,000 each)

Last edited:

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
$7000 each is the quote I had last year including delivery. It even has a small kitchen and toilet of course.
You are right, there are site cost but it is done in bulk, the price will be cheaper plus no GST for the govt task in this case.
Bear in mind the 7000 houses I mentioned is manfacturing excluding installation and is a very rough estimate. (I have already factored in $3000 each for contingency and made it $10,000 each)

Would love to see the breakdown on numbers like that. When in 2020 did you get the quote?

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Would love to see the breakdown on numbers like that. When in 2020 did you get the quote?
Early 2020.
It was verbal but not written though
As I said it is very rough, but i think it is about right.
I am sure there will be a lot of contractors putting up their hands to do it at the price $10,000 each for manufacturing a container house.
Note: This is the local manufacturing price. I am very sure, it will be a lot cheaper if the quote is from some of our neigbouring countries.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Early 2020.
It was verbal but not written though
As I said it is very rough, but i think it is about right.
I am sure there will be a lot of contractors putting up their hands to do it at the price $10,000 each for manufacturing a container house.
Note: This is the local manufacturing price. I am very sure, it will be a lot cheaper if the quote is from some of our neigbouring countries.

Shipping container? Insulated?

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If we were all vaccinated, we would not need to lockdown when the inevitable breaches happen.
I doubt the politicians will accept that (at least initially). It is highly likely that countries won't let you travel to them unless you have proof of vaccination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back