Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch

NSW doing their best to prove that a short sharp early lockdown like we did is probably a better way to deal with a couple of cases popping up. Despite my misgivings about whether they were needed at the time

I think they were right to back themselves in. They've managed three (or four?) outbreaks without city-wide lockdown previously, so fair enough that they tried again. It's not as if Melbourne's lockdown stopped the spread immediately either, they still needed 4 weeks of fairly tough restrictions to turn the corner.

I think they were right to back themselves in. They've managed three (or four?) outbreaks without city-wide lockdown previously, so fair enough that they tried again. It's not as if Melbourne's lockdown stopped the spread immediately either, they still needed 4 weeks of fairly tough restrictions to turn the corner.
Nah, as soon as that vision came out of the guy getting it in the shopping centre just from brushing past the other guy they should have locked down, at least that area as a minimum. Rolling the dice with this thing, especially this new variant was always going to backfire.

It's not just McGowan. SA, Queensland, Victoria and WA have all done early, short and sharp lockdowns.

The sole reason (imo) why NSW has put it off for so long is pure politics - Premier Gladys Berejiklian and her deputy Premier John Barilaro has long advocated against lockdowns and criticised other states when they did. Watch Barilaro go strangely silent over WA and Mark McGowan now. It would not surprise me if their CMO Dr Chant was privately agitating to lock down from three days ago.
Don't think it's so much politics as ideology. Splitting hairs I know, but I think that NSW actually believe in their approach.

People refusing to get vaccinated because of potential side effects rams home to me once again how poorly people understand probability.

I really shouldn't be surprised given how popular lotto and pokies are, but here we are.

Whats the saying about lotto, you gotta be in it to win it? Having an experimental vaccine at this point is literally the same as playing the lotto so thats a great comparison actually.

Saying stuff like oh well you have a 1 in 100k chance of dying of blood clots, or a 1 in 10k chance of getting myocarditis etc etc is ignoring the fact that its not a question of whether you live or die. There is a very small chance of dying, so you can't really compare that risk to the benefit of getting immunity form the vaccine. Clearly those numbers indicate getting vaccinated is the sensible choice. That is not really the debate though is it?

Isn't the debate over the fact that these early vaccines have chosen to use the spike protein and its not a. staying in the deltoid muscle where it should, and b. its cytotoxic. Every form of side effect, from a day off in bed to a headache to a sore arm, carries a risk because a dangerous substance has been introduced to the body and the immune response to this spike protein is poorly understood. The short term effects are almost insignificant compared to the long term risks. For all we know, and very smart people have substantive fears over this, getting these early jabs could result in lifelong consequences in all different manner of forms. Its very similar to early days of chemo in cancer treatment, without knowledge of what constitutes the most effective dose or form, we're bombarding the body with some really dangerous s**t that in the case of early days chemo, was a radiation level high enough to cause recurring illness 10 years down the track.

Currently, there is an insistence of giving children and infants these vaccines, with no regard as to what the burden will be on them over the course of their lifespan. Its absolutely immoral to be giving the vaccine to anyone under 20 imo, at a certain point doing so just becomes an equation of forcing them to take an unnecessary hit to protect the large segment of the population that isn't humanities future. And we don't even know if the vaccines are going to work, so far looks to me like variants are going to stay one step ahead and we are probably in over our heads so far as being able to control what direction the virus takes in response to the vaccine.

By the way, anyone who did their homework on mRNA vaccine tech early on to understand that why its potentially very safe [assuming you don't use it to deliver instructions for replicating a cytotoxin] would think that because RNA doesn't behave like DNA it can't interfere with the genome of the host. Whelp, looks like that little safety net is probably off the table as well. The science fiction of 6 months ago that vaccines could rewrite our DNA is, according to science of current day, now a live possibility. How good.

Last edited:
It's a mostly PR exercise for both the state and federal governments. The reality is the pandemic landscape will be markedly different in 2022 as dozens of vaccines come online (or continue), health systems are upgraded and popular support for restrictions wane.

In this respect I agree with the feds - vaccination is the only reasonable ticket out of this - if enough get vaccinated year upon year, we live with it and adapt like we do with the flu and we can have more free overseas travel in and out of the country without risking a surge in COVID overwhelming hospitals, keeping people from spending, or ruining productivity in workplaces.

This is obviously the strategy that all governments have agreed on and have been pursuing since January 2020. I agree at this point that is is almost certain we're now stuck with Coroa forever. However, there is such a thing as vaccination fatigue and you only have to look as far as the jump in side effects upon taking the second dose of the vaccine to imagine that a top up jab of more virus every 6 months is going to be a path of diminishing returns. DOn't quote me on this but I think there are numbers out there being studies at the moment that indicate that if you fall into the group of people who have a double jab but still manage to catch corona [a not insignificant % of people, lets say its 10% of us] you are 6 times more likely to be hospitalised and die. So its working both ways to an extent, and would be a bitter pill really if that pans out to be the case.

Things have gone on long enough, and the response has been handled poorly enough, that we do basically just have to now hope that the longer the virus is in the wild and transforming into new variants the safer it will become and eventually it will just be a mostly asymptomatic form of cold. Delta apparently is presenting more as a respiratory disease than earlier variants, which is obviously why it is more transmissible, so maybe as it gets harder and harder to transmit at close range due to vaccinated folks is will learn to cast its net wider and wider by air/aerosolisation and hopefully trade off whatever mechanisms make it such a damaging vascular disease in order to do so. Pretty big ifs all round though, we don't really know what it will do or whether it will follow this path given its lab rather than wild origins.

No, it doesnt..

Heaven knows what he’s going to do when Australia opens up and there are cases going around the place daily even when 75% of people are vaccinated…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah it clearly does.
While the vaccination rate is low it's quite clearly the only route that prevents it spreading out of control. NSW has ****ed themselves for likely the next 6 weeks instead of having a shorter lockdown earlier.

Yeah it clearly does.
While the vaccination rate is low it's quite clearly the only route that prevents it spreading out of control. NSW has f’ed themselves for likely the next 6 weeks instead of having a shorter lockdown earlier.

Nah,, lockdown should be used as a last option not the first but if you have no faith in tracers or your hospital system to deal with anything then lockdowns your answer…..

Nah,, lockdown should be used as a last option not the first but if you have no faith in tracers or your hospital system to deal with anything then lockdowns your answer…..

Once we get the majority of the population vaccinated sure. But look at NSW, they had faith in their contract tracers and now they're headed for a much longer lockdown than if they'd just done it in the first place.

The other day, the UK recorded no deaths due to COVID in a 24 hour period. This is a country that as we all know copped the worst of it and botched their lockdowns and restrictions. It is not a coincidence that the UK has one of the highest vaccination rates on the planet.

If you don't want to lockdown, and if you don't want to deal with the piles of bodies that most other countries in the world have had to deal with - then mass vaccinations are the only answer. This should not even be up for debate, I would have thought...

I’m not sure why people say this when it’s been shown to be demonstrably wrong again and again.

WA’s lockdown had a far lower impact than the rolling restrictions NSW had last year. This time the outbreak is worse and the impact on NSW will restrictions, lockdowns and then more restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instant lockdown for 3 days versus 6 week lockdown after a week of dithering? I know which I prefer.

The other day, the UK recorded no deaths due to COVID in a 24 hour period. This is a country that as we all know copped the worst of it and botched their lockdowns and restrictions. It is not a coincidence that the UK has one of the highest vaccination rates on the planet.

If you don't want to lockdown, and if you don't want to deal with the piles of bodies that most other countries in the world have had to deal with - then mass vaccinations are the only answer. This should not even be up for debate, I would have thought...
Amazing that some can't see this. Mind boggling.

Instant lockdown for 3 days versus 6 week lockdown after a week of dithering? I know which I prefer.

No doubt you live in WA so you have been fear mongered into if someone sneezes the worlds coming to an end so its no surprise.

At the end of the day no one is in ICU and no one is on a ventilator . Life goes on and Australia will never get back to normal if the measure is jf any cases means everything shuts down.

There has to be some incentive however for people to get vaccinated. Whether its they don’t have to worry about lockdowns or quarantine for travel something has to move the needle. As it stands theres no benefit accept for those in the danger ages.

Last edited:
No doubt you live in WA so you have been fear mongered into if someone sneezes the worlds coming to an end so its no surprise.

At the end of the day no one is in ICU and no one is on a ventilator . Life goes on and Australia will never get back to normal if the measure is jf any cases means everything shuts down.

There has to be some incentive however for people to get vaccinated. Whether its they don’t have to worry about lockdowns or quarantine for travel something has to move the needle. As it stands theres no benefit accept for those in the danger ages.
Yet now 8 million+ people are now in lockdown for 2 weeks.

There will be deaths in NSW from this outbreak unfortunately. And plenty more on ventilators. We will see the damage in the next week or two.

Your mate Gladys has potentially spread the virus over half the country by not locking down straight away, anyone defending her decision is a complete moron imo.

Also, currently the only person in ICU in the country with covid is in NSW, would expect that to grow as more people become infected though.

So Darwin has entered a 48hr lockdown due to cases arising from the Newmont mine.

There were approximately 900 people at the mine during the relevant period. About 220 remain in the NT the rest have flown out, 400 to Brisbane & 250 to Perth. It's also assumed to be the Delta variant at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back