Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First weekend of June is going to be absolute chaos. I hope the locals embrace it. I've bailed on my plans to go away that weekend now. Going to tackle some day trips out bush instead. Bit easier with the young dude.

So with Dan Andrews announcement this morning it looks like the Vic based AFL clubs can legally train from Wednesday - no mention of limits on group sizes. Other states are still limited to 10. Will be interesting to see what the AFL have to say about this.

So with Dan Andrews announcement this morning it looks like the Vic based AFL clubs can legally train from Wednesday - no mention of limits on group sizes. Other states are still limited to 10. Will be interesting to see what the AFL have to say about this.
I think it is limited to groups of ten, read something in the Age but it wasn't definitive.

Very, VERY interesting.

I expect "Well since the bulk of the competition is allowed to train as a whole group, it would be unfair to hold them back from doing so."

The fact that I even expect this to happen is damning on how the comp is run. Also, if it does go down like this, I will be very disappointed if there are not fireworks as a result.

Curious to hear what people have been missing most during the last couple of months? What's the thing you'll be rushing out to do once it's ticked off?

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

I haven't been into Freo in a while and I do quite enjoy going for a walk/play around there with the young bloke before picking a spot for a good beer. It feels like forever since I've paid someone else to cook me some food and pour me a beer from a tap.

Curious to hear what people have been missing most during the last couple of months? What's the thing you'll be rushing out to do once it's ticked off?

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

I haven't been into Freo in a while and I do quite enjoy going for a walk/play around there with the young bloke before picking a spot for a good beer. It feels like forever since I've paid someone else to cook me some food and pour me a beer from a tap.

Golf here in Victoria for me.

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

Playing footy and pub feeds with mates watching footy.

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

Yeah, just any kind of sit-down eating/drinking out I'm really missing, and want to get out and support those businesses as soon as I can.
And junior sport, swimming lessons etc.

I was looking forward to visiting in-laws in the country after we had to cancel our Easter trip there, but they're still s**t scared of the virus and don't want visitors.

I agree with the sentiment CM9000, but the virus isn't eradicated. The rest of the world proves that. Controlled is probably a better description, however, if we maintain the international border control, I reckon we can keep control of the virus. Fortunately for us this big brown land's geographical location helps us maintain those borders and social distancing controls.

Whilst the international and state borders closures are in effect I and my 12 staff won't have a job.

Thank you

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

We went for a walk into Freo on Saturday, a few more people around than the time we walked in a couple of weeks ago, still not much going on, the few places open for takeaway were keeping it pretty simple. It was like walking around after half the population had been wiped out by a plague, I can't imagine how surreal it would be in places where a lot of people have died.
Be interesting to see how things look the first weekend after restrictions are relaxed, I'm envisioning more people queuing outside venues than people seated inside.

Whilst the international and state borders closures are in effect I and my 12 staff won't have a job.

Thank you
Hey mate, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you and your staff are all coping ok.

But the best thing for the majority of people in WA and Australia is to maintain border restrictions. Without them a second wave of infections is almost guaranteed.

We went for a walk into Freo on Saturday, a few more people around than the time we walked in a couple of weeks ago, still not much going on, the few places open for takeaway were keeping it pretty simple. It was like walking around after half the population had been wiped out by a plague, I can't imagine how surreal it would be in places where a lot of people have died.
Be interesting to see how things look the first weekend after restrictions are relaxed, I'm envisioning more people queuing outside venues than people seated inside.

It'll be difficult for venues to work out how much produce to have available and how many tables they'll turn over. I've suggested to a few people that when gyms open they should look at an online booking system where you can pick what hour block (or 45min!) you want to reserve and what you want to train - free weights, treadmill etc. This allows the staff to clean equipment between bookings.

Cafes, restaurants and pubs should be looking to do the same. It's not as spontaneous as it used to be just walking around and picking somewhere for a feed but at least the venues can minimise waste, restrict queues and maximize the investment of putting staff back on by having an online reservation system. Want to go for a feed and beer? Book an hour. Want a boozy long lunch? Book a few hour blocks.

I'd also be okay with a no Covidsafe app no entry policy enforced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went down to get the Chinese food I phone ordered last night - only 1 person onside at a time, fine. But what about the 25 people milling about the doorway waiting for orders to be called (that were half an hour or more behind). Said no thanks, cancelled and left. Suspect we are going to have a lot of these problems with queuing but what can you do?

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

I miss going to the pub for a booze night and playing amateur sport the most.

I also miss footy a lot - mainly seeing the Eagles play live. We always make a big social occasion of it and we've had some amazing sunny weekend days, that would have been perfect for beers at camfield. Followed by booing the s**t out of an opposing team at the stadium.

Hey mate, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you and your staff are all coping ok.

But the best thing for the majority of people in WA and Australia is to maintain border restrictions. Without them a second wave of infections is almost guaranteed.

Regardless of the closures it's guaranteed.
The virus has been around a while, 2 sets friends went to Wuhan last year and both parties got sick in October.
None died.

The state borders don't need to be closed. I understand the international borders need to at least until December

It's pretty frustrating others who arent affected financially bleating about how the lockdowns need to be closed until a vaccine is produced which could be years away and then ineffective because the virus has mutated.

Fear has gripped the world and the media is responsible for it.

We have 9 active cases in WA and we still don't have complete freedoms.
It's madness and costing people their livelihoods.

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

Job security

I went down to get the Chinese food I phone ordered last night - only 1 person onside at a time, fine. But what about the 25 people milling about the doorway waiting for orders to be called (that were half an hour or more behind). Said no thanks, cancelled and left. Suspect we are going to have a lot of these problems with queuing but what can you do?

Last night was uniquely busy because it was Mother’s Day and takeaway shops copped a hammering. Couple of places I regularly pick up from without any problems were massively behind

Last night was uniquely busy because it was Mother’s Day and takeaway shops copped a hammering. Couple of places I regularly pick up from without any problems were massively behind
Yeah I get that. We ended up Uber-Eatsing and it took an hour but that was fine.

Gym?
Getaway?
Pub?
Sport?

Missing the gym for mine, used to train 4-6 times a week and was 7 in the lead up to the wedding.
Was my happy place where I could get any stress out in a healthy way.

Been going on long walks / runs instead, i'm at a streak of 31 days of over 10K steps a day and trying to keep that up.

I miss my now cancelled Hong Kong, Spain, Portugal & UK trip that was supposed to start this Thursday.

At least I still have a job so hopefully will be able to do it in a couple of years. Really feel for those that have lost their job or had their income reduced through all this.

Regardless of the closures it's guaranteed.
The virus has been around a while, 2 sets friends went to Wuhan last year and both parties got sick in October.
None died.

The state borders don't need to be closed. I understand the international borders need to at least until December

It's pretty frustrating others who arent affected financially bleating about how the lockdowns need to be closed until a vaccine is produced which could be years away and then ineffective because the virus has mutated.

Fear has gripped the world and the media is responsible for it.

We have 9 active cases in WA and we still don't have complete freedoms.
It's madness and costing people their livelihoods.
I can now report no cases in my postcode. 2219.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back