Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Most Australians won't support the cap removal because it doesn't affect them, the same reason why many support WA's hard borders here. They don't have separated families and don't work FIFO so why should they care?

You can always back self interest because you know it's the only horse that's trying.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
On one hand, I'm happy that my family and friends in WA are safer now than I am.

On the other, gee I hope this isn't an issue in 6 months time.
Me too. Currently looking like it'll cost $20K for my partner and I to come home!
I really feel for the people who stayed abroad who had visas and jobs, but now find themselves out of work as the economic impacts of covid hit, or simply couldn't fly because they were ill with covid or airlines like qantas cancelled indefinitely.

It seems crazy to enforce such a restrictive cap (to the point of airlines having to cut economy class), when there were 300,000 people coming home at the height of the pandemic between March and May and quarantine coped just fine. Seems more of a political decision so governments can say "we're tough" than issues with resources (which is now user pay) or capacity (reportedly way under capacity). It will cost lives as the mental strain gets too much for some that find themselves homeless, without the ability to earn money and are priced out of coming home.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
People only support the governments approach to the virus, i.e. bankrupting the country, at this stage because nobody is explaining to them what the consequences are going to be. Job Keeper will have to be taken away in a few months because the country doesn't have the borrowing capacity to keep paying it. And when Job Keeper gets taken away Australians will be shocked when 30% of Australian small businesses shut their doors literally overnight and the unemployment rate will be over 20%. And it will stay there for a long time. It will be very hard for the economy to recover because nobody will have the confidence to start or expand a business given that the country or just state governments might declare more lockdowns on whim and destroy the business. And most Australians won't have discretionary income to spend to support new business. Tax rates will have to go up to pay off the debt which will suck more life out of the economy. House prices will take a big hit because nobody will want to, or in most cases be able to afford to, buy a house. The banks won't be lending to anybody unless they have a 30 - 40% plus deposit and there will be lots of forced sales of houses due to people defaulting on their mortagage payments. In short, we have committed economic suicide as a country but most Australians don't realise this yet as it is deliberately not discussed in the parliament or on the 10 mins of news they see everynight on the news. They think that this current scenario where the government is flooding the country with printed and borrowed money to anaesthetise the pain is as bad as it gets and all we have to do is put up with this current situation for a few more months and everything will be fixed. The pain hasn't even started yet.

Most Australians also don't realise that the virus is nowhere near as deadly as the government claims. Governments are hyping up the death numbers to justify the economic carnage they have caused. They are marking up as many deaths as they can to the virus and trying to hide the fact that nearly all the deaths are aged care residents. Why is it that when there is an outbreak the government has to send out teams of contact tracing people to tell people they have to get tested and that they likely have the virus? If the virus is as bad as the government says then wouldn't they be at deaths door and heading to a hospital for treatment if they don't drop dead on the street first? Might it be because most of these people don't even realise they have the virus because they have only the mildest symptoms, if any at all? And if people don't realise yet that lockdowns don't work given the global evidence then god help them. They must be epically dumb.

This is all lies. And the media coverage is completely manipulated. On an AFL note, i keep wondering why nobody in the commentary teams or coaches etc are commenting or asking questions about next year. If next year is like this one with chronic lockdowns and hubs and limited crowds etc then the AFL will go broke and be in recievership. They had to borrow $500 million by pledging stadiums as collateral just to get through this season. It seems fairly obvious that the AFL has been told by governments not to allow any public discussion of this by it's employees or allow it's employees to say anything publicly that might in any way alarm the public or undermine support for the lockdowns etc. And they have told all the teams and commentators that no discussion of the impending bankruptcy of the league if all this continues is allowed. Surely it would be being discussed if higher powers were not actively banning that discussion.
Go away dickhead

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast

I cannot stand this egomaniac. In 2019 the WA economy was absolute trash, recession levels. There was no bragging about "WA's higher incomes" at that point. Now thanks to Chinese stimulus and Brazilian COVID woes the iron ore price has shot up. Pure luck. His border policy is pure self interest at this point.

The Federal Government should refuse to provide any further ADF support to WA until this clown starts being reasonable.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

I cannot stand this egomaniac. In 2019 the WA economy was absolute trash, recession levels. There was no bragging about "WA's higher incomes" at that point. Now thanks to Chinese stimulus and Brazilian COVID woes the iron ore price has shot up. Pure luck. His border policy is pure self interest at this point.

The Federal Government should refuse to provide any further ADF support to WA until this clown starts being reasonable.
Not to mention that 28 days of no community transmission is probably impossible to achieve. The coronavirus will settle into the human population like the various other coronavirus and influenza strains. The vaccine will allow us to protect the most vulnerable, after which, society will move on. There will always be some without immunity and some spread.

I think the truth is that we aren't going to relax the borders until the imminent threat has passed. I expect that to be after the state election at a minimum, which probably coincides with the early rollout of a vaccine (assuming trials are finished by end of year and regulatory approval is fast tracked).

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
Highlighted astounds me from McGowan prove it's no longer about health and all about politics, surely there would be a crap load of people from NT,TAS, SA and ACT who would look at a holiday in WA at the moment, and would actually spend more on holiday than West Aussies do. Does he have such little faith in what WA offers that he thinks no one would go there.

HIGHLIGHT
Premier's savage dig at 'poorer' states
40901fdb3e7cb0d809d753b5915d6001

Natalie Brown
The date Western Australia's border could reopen to the rest of Australia remains a mystery, with Premier Mark McGowan telling reporters earlier today there was "no benefit" in changing the restriction.
The state's borders are shut to anyone except for designated works on those granted exemptions on compassionate grounds – and have been that way since the coronavirus pandemic struck Australia six months ago.
Mr McGowan said a travel bubble with South Australia and the Northern Territory – where community transmission has been stamped out, and cases (if any) remain low – wasn't worth pursuing, despite the strategy being adopted by SA, the NT and Queensland.
"There is no benefit," he said.
"All we'll do is lose jobs were we to open to those (jurisdictions).
"The other states want us to open the border so that West Australian tourists will flood east, not so that people from the east will come here.
"They're only saying all this for very self-interested reasons because we have higher incomes, we have people that are more used to travelling and therefore we'll have more tourists go from Western Australia to the east."

Mr McGowan has insisted the border will only come down when all other jurisdictions go 28 days without any community transmission – a stance that's been deemed "beyond caution" by some of the nation's top epidemiologists.
"When we get calls from other governments around Australia, particularly NSW, to bring down our border, all I'd say is they have had significant policy failures in the east that caused the spread of the virus into Western Australia in the early days," he said, referring to reports that passengers from the Ruby Princess cruise ship could have infected as many as 11 people on a flight from Sydney to Perth.
"We're always very careful about our borders to protect our people. If only they'd been more careful, we wouldn't have had some of those cases come to our state."

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Highlighted astounds me from McGowan prove it's no longer about health and all about politics, surely there would be a crap load of people from NT,TAS, SA and ACT who would look at a holiday in WA at the moment, and would actually spend more on holiday than West Aussies do. Does he have such little faith in what WA offers that he thinks no one would go there.

HIGHLIGHT
Premier's savage dig at 'poorer' states
40901fdb3e7cb0d809d753b5915d6001

Natalie Brown
The date Western Australia's border could reopen to the rest of Australia remains a mystery, with Premier Mark McGowan telling reporters earlier today there was "no benefit" in changing the restriction.
The state's borders are shut to anyone except for designated works on those granted exemptions on compassionate grounds – and have been that way since the coronavirus pandemic struck Australia six months ago.
Mr McGowan said a travel bubble with South Australia and the Northern Territory – where community transmission has been stamped out, and cases (if any) remain low – wasn't worth pursuing, despite the strategy being adopted by SA, the NT and Queensland.
"There is no benefit," he said.
"All we'll do is lose jobs were we to open to those (jurisdictions).
"The other states want us to open the border so that West Australian tourists will flood east, not so that people from the east will come here.
"They're only saying all this for very self-interested reasons because we have higher incomes, we have people that are more used to travelling and therefore we'll have more tourists go from Western Australia to the east."

Mr McGowan has insisted the border will only come down when all other jurisdictions go 28 days without any community transmission – a stance that's been deemed "beyond caution" by some of the nation's top epidemiologists.
"When we get calls from other governments around Australia, particularly NSW, to bring down our border, all I'd say is they have had significant policy failures in the east that caused the spread of the virus into Western Australia in the early days," he said, referring to reports that passengers from the Ruby Princess cruise ship could have infected as many as 11 people on a flight from Sydney to Perth.
"We're always very careful about our borders to protect our people. If only they'd been more careful, we wouldn't have had some of those cases come to our state."

Not to mention that these types of comments mean that there won't be a lot of goodwill coming our way if things turn sour here, particularly if McGowan is Premier at that time. Rightfully so too.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Not to mention that 28 days of no community transmission is probably impossible to achieve. The coronavirus will settle into the human population like the various other coronavirus and influenza strains. The vaccine will allow us to protect the most vulnerable, after which, society will move on. There will always be some without immunity and some spread.

I think the truth is that we aren't going to relax the borders until the imminent threat has passed. I expect that to be after the state election at a minimum, which probably coincides with the early rollout of a vaccine (assuming trials are finished by end of year and regulatory approval is fast tracked).
That's if an effective vaccine is produced. That could take years, if it does happen (there's a reasonable chance those currently in the pipeline won't be effective enough). Does WA stay shut indefinitely?

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
He seems determined to kick an own goal here.
I have been good with nearly everything he has done prior to this week, but if he wants to lose support that's his prerogative I guess.
I wonder if his popularity will hold up if/when people realise they'll be separated from interstate friends and family at Christmas. Every other state (even Victoria) could be open for domestic travel by then.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if his popularity will hold up if/when people realise they'll be separated from interstate friends and family at Christmas. Every other state (even Victoria) could be open for domestic travel by then.
I think the Queensland election will be a indicator too. Palaszczuk obviously didn't enjoy the same popularity surge that McGowan had but she has the second most ridiculous stance on borders in the country.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I have been good with nearly everything he has done prior to this week, but if he wants to lose support that's his prerogative I guess.

I tend to agree with this.
He should realise he is/was on to a good thing but there's a point (and I think he's basically there) where you start to lose support fast as you're being ridiculous.

I suspect what he's trying to do is continue to make it difficult for FIFO works to live in any other state which would deliver a decent boost economically. That's not based on any facts, it's just the only reason I can rationalise other than pure politics in which case he's creating a scenario where he has little more to gain and everything to lose.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS

I live in Vic and have family in Perth, i fully understand right now there is no way we can go anywhere, not even sure i will be able to come back at xmas to see family, but what threw me was his comments that everyone would leave Perth, but none would go back the other way. People all over Australia are looking to take a holiday somewhere, and whilst it's fine to pump your own state (even our dopey premier was doing that yesterday here in Vic saying we should holiday in Vic, well i would but i can't go any further than 5 km from house), the reality is most people have seen a lot of their own state, and want to see something else. He should be out there selling WA to those who are in a safe place to travel ,travellers always spend more than locals on holiday. Travellers from other states will frequent local business for breakfast, lunch or dinners, where as locals generally don't, they might go out for dinner when away but a lot of the time will eat or drink where they are staying, to save costs.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Yeah, there may be a lot of truth to it (let's face it, WA doesn't have the same concentration of conventional tourist "attractions" as most other states), but it seems excessively defeatist to announce it and perpetuate it like that.
And you're quite right, Magnum, that the safety here is attractive for a lot of people.

I can't blame any leader for leveraging whatever economic advantages for their state that they can during a time like this of depression and huge deficits. But if I was doing it to this extent I'd be more inclined to keep a lot of that to myself. Down the track, brag about your against-the-odds economic achievements, but no need to spell out to everyone all the ways you're causing them pain atm to achieve it. There are still a lot of people out there who don't want to hear that they're being personally held underwater for a while longer for reasons of the state budget. You can spin this situation a lot better than he just did.
It's important to keep strengthening the economic foundations as jobkeeper/seeker starts to back off and the true unemployment reality is revealed, but the state vs state stuff is just sounding childish to me at this point.

Yeah, tend to agree with others. Have agreed largely with border stances, but there is no reason not to open up ato the same extent as SA etc now IMO. Hopefully Vic isn't too far behind too.

Economic arguments certainly don't look good.

EDIT - Just did some more reading - seems the economic benefit thing about people coming in and out was in response to a specific question about the economic benefit of opening up to SA/NT. Nice that the article puts it in context :rolleyes:. McGowan stated in that presser that the primary driver to closed borders is still community transition.

Last edited:

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know about anyone else, but Summer in WA is top shelf. I could imagine people flocking to our beaches, not looking to fly interstate to avoid them.

I prefer to holiday outside of WA in Winter, and chase sunshine elsewhere.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know about anyone else, but Summer in WA is top shelf. I could imagine people flocking to our beaches, not looking to fly interstate to avoid them.

I prefer to holiday outside of WA in Winter, and chase sunshine elsewhere.

A lot of us take our beaches for granted. We went and had a look at the "Home and Away" beach in Sydney a few years back, looked like brickies sand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back