Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily it seems like the reimposition of restrictions is working. Numbers have been stable and I hope they continue to do so and then start dropping.
Hopefully. The March cases died off quicker than we expected nation wide and would have been even quicker without cruise ship debacles.

The state government has delayed phase 5 and 6 despite the strongest hard border in the country, isn't that maybe an indication that we should pump the brakes a bit and wait for a more uniform approach with other states with reopenings? (excl Vic and possibly NSW at the moment). How can you on the one hand advocate for example 60,000 at Optus in a state where social distancing has stopped completely but on the other hand advocate for hard borders indefinitely even with states with no community transmission? The health message is inconsistent here.

Phase 5 and 6 should be delayed indefinitely, at least until we can implement it in lock step with other states instead of going it alone.

Because, as NSW is now showing (and maybe Queensland soon), all it takes is one arrival from another state to break containment measures and it starts transmitting in the community again. A hard border is a temporary measure until the others get that sorted out. In the meantime, there is full confidence there is zero community transmission in WA and as long as all arrivals are properly quarantined, it can be business as usual including people packed like sardines at Optus Stadium or glassing a campaigner in a nightclub in Northbridge.

So no footy in Victoria for the rest of the year? Is this where we go full Vic and tell them they should all be grateful we let them join *our* competition?

I hope we don't end up in another QLD hub.

Brisbane have to be frontrunners if they don't have to leave their GABBA sanctuary again. Be funny to see Richmond supporters get upset with that.

The covidsafe app has up to now has traced precisely 0 cases, surprise surprise.

I think it's one of those things where anyone concerned/conscientious enough to download the app and keep it switched on the whole time is probably going to be observing social distancing, hand hygiene and avoiding high risk situations.

I think it's one of those things where anyone concerned/conscientious enough to download the app and keep it switched on the whole time is probably going to be observing social distancing, hand hygiene and avoiding high risk situations.
Don't you have to be within 3m of someone for 15 minutes for it to even work/register? I can't remember the last time that was the case for me, except with the missus overnight. And even then our phones are on opposite sides of the bed.

Because, as NSW is now showing (and maybe Queensland soon), all it takes is one arrival from another state to break containment measures and it starts transmitting in the community again. A hard border is a temporary measure until the others get that sorted out. In the meantime, there is full confidence there is zero community transmission in WA and as long as all arrivals are properly quarantined, it can be business as usual including people packed like sardines at Optus Stadium or glassing a campaigner in a nightclub in Northbridge.
I tend to agree with Ok Boomer on this. I fully agree with the hard border closure, but I think WA needs to be really careful with the 'business as usual' course. There are still people entering WA and not quarantining, right? Probably not many, but as you say it only takes one.

The rep from the company through which I'll be consulting if I'm allowed in to WA told me he sponsored a worker from Qld to enter WA a while back. The bloke drove across the country with his girlfriend. When they got to WA she was required to quarantine, he wasn't. He chose to stay with her, but he could have gone straight to work if he'd wanted. Ridiculous. Occurrences like this (and I'm sure there have been many of them) also lend weight to a 'be cautious' rather than 'business as usual' path imo.

Don't you have to be within 3m of someone for 15 minutes for it to even work/register? I can't remember the last time that was the case for me, except with the missus overnight. And even then our phones are on opposite sides of the bed.

?

bed_ext.jpg

I tend to agree with Ok Boomer on this. I fully agree with the hard border closure, but I think WA needs to be really careful with the 'business as usual' course. There are still people entering WA and not quarantining, right? Probably not many, but as you say it only takes one.

The rep from the company through which I'll be consulting if I'm allowed in to WA told me he sponsored a worker from Qld to enter WA a while back. The bloke drove across the country with his girlfriend. When they got to WA she was required to quarantine, he wasn't. He chose to stay with her, but he could have gone straight to work if he'd wanted. Ridiculous. Occurrences like this (and I'm sure there have been many of them) also lend weight to a 'be cautious' rather than 'business as usual' path imo.
I agree. 30,000 in a stadium makes me slightly queasy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think as long as the procedures are strictly implemented, with appropriate use of police and ADF, then we can do a 'business as usual'. Maybe more tightening up is needed but I am confident WA can get through this relatively lightly.

I think it should be able to work, everything going well. I also thought that the one thing each state would get right would be hotel quarantine. Containment was working in Victoria until an outbreak was created right under their noses. I am uneasy about full openings, particularly when it is out of step with every other state. Things are humming along ok at the moment here except for larger venues. I don't think we desperately need 30,000 to 60,000 at Optus regardless of how much we personally enjoy going to the footy.

The twin problem with absolute full reopening is that it leaves us extremely vulnerable to mistakes and/or bad luck and it requires ultra strict border controls to be maintained and I have outlined my concerns with those before. The new normal we have right now should be maintained for the time being.

A lot of people have switched off from the virus here in WA now with their personal behaviour.

Last edited:
So no footy in Victoria for the rest of the year? Is this where we go full Vic and tell them they should all be grateful we let them join *our* competition?

I hope we don't end up in another QLD hub.

Brisbane have to be frontrunners if they don't have to leave their GABBA sanctuary again. Be funny to see Richmond supporters get upset with that.
Yeah I feel like us or Brisbane have to win it from here purely for the absolute meltdown that would follow. Fox Footy would be essential viewing and the main board + Tigers/Collingwood/Geelong/Freo boards would keep me entertained for a lifetime. Always wanted to see the arguments they’d come out with if the tables ever got turned and now is a huge opportunity.

The state government has delayed phase 5 and 6 despite the strongest hard border in the country, isn't that maybe an indication that we should pump the brakes a bit and wait for a more uniform approach with other states with reopenings? (excl Vic and possibly NSW at the moment). How can you on the one hand advocate for example 60,000 at Optus in a state where social distancing has stopped completely but on the other hand advocate for hard borders indefinitely even with states with no community transmission? The health message is inconsistent here.

Phase 5 and 6 should be delayed indefinitely, at least until we can implement it in lock step with other states instead of going it alone.

Whats the logic behind having to do things in unison?

I am for border closures and most likely wouldn't head to the footy right now, but im not sure why we should wait and do things when t he other states can? To me it is totally illogical to do anything that isn't in our own best interest right now.

Isn't what we are doing actually more strict than the other states. Up until Vic re did lock downs?

How would your queensland work mate and his GF been treated going into SA, NSW, or NT?

Isn't what we are doing actually more strict than the other states. Up until Vic re did lock downs?

How would your queensland work mate and his GF been treated going into SA, NSW, or NT?
1. Not any more. How many other states will have crowds of 30,000 at footy games from tomorrow night?
2. I have no idea mate. I was just providing an example of the system being far from perfect.

Whats the logic behind having to do things in unison?
Having synchronisation between states and territories, especially those who are at a similar stage (WA, SA, NT, TAS and perhaps QLD) I think will lead to better long term outcomes for health, the economy and for individuals, particularly for the latter two. There would be more certainty, confidence and consistency nationally. I hate this every state for themselves attitude which has prevailed since April, that rubbish should be left to the US. The sniping between Premiers for political reasons has been embarrassing to watch.

It would mean that health measures could be applied on a more national basis and that economic stimulus could be more targeted. If restrictions were uniform there would be consistency in what businesses and individuals are affected. It could mean that border measures become more concise and consistent nationally.

Having synchronisation between states and territories, especially those who are at a similar stage (WA, SA, NT, TAS and perhaps QLD) I think will lead to better long term outcomes for health, the economy and for individuals, particularly for the latter two. There would be more certainty, confidence and consistency nationally. I hate this every state for themselves attitude which has prevailed since April, that rubbish should be left to the US. The sniping between Premiers for political reasons has been embarrassing to watch.

It would mean that health measures could be applied on a more national basis and that economic stimulus could be more targeted. If restrictions were uniform there would be consistency in what businesses and individuals are affected. It could mean that border measures become more concise and consistent nationally.
1. Not any more. How many other states will have crowds of 30,000 at footy games from tomorrow night?
2. I have no idea mate. I was just providing an example of the system being far from perfect.

I would be jacked of like a mother, if we had to go back into quarantine because some bloke in Melbourne couldn't keep it in his pants.

The states run totally independently normally, I can't see why that wouldn't continue.

The Perth folk's mental health would be shot, and Perth business would suffer big time if we had to adhere to Vic's lock down with our current numbers.

While our system may not be perfect, it is pretty much the envy of every other city in the world. Now I think that might be part luck part planning and I don't think we are out of the woods going forward, but the suggestion that we should make the most (with in reason) of our current strong position is crazy.

So someone spends months taking potshots at McGowan and banging on about getting the economy back up & running ASAP, but now wants some states to undo their good work and close down their economies because of .... uniformity??

The "every state for themselves" attitude is a big reason why WA has fared so well.
Perhaps if Gladys had been minding her state's own business rather than telling everyone else what they should be doing, her state wouldn't be shitting themselves right now over random outbreaks.

There's some real mental gymnastics going on in here. Well... being attempted at least. It's not scoring too well with this judge.

I would be jacked of like a mother, if we had to go back into quarantine because some bloke in Melbourne couldn't keep it in his pants.

The states run totally independently normally, I can't see why that wouldn't continue.

The Perth folk's mental health would be shot, and Perth business would suffer big time if we had to adhere to Vic's lock down with our current numbers.

While our system may not be perfect, it is pretty much the envy of every other city in the world. Now I think that might be part luck part planning and I don't think we are out of the woods going forward, but the suggestion that we should make the most (with in reason) of our current strong position is crazy.
I specifically said "especially those who are at a similar stage (WA, SA, NT, TAS and perhaps QLD)" Why wouldn't we work with these states on a similar timeframe?

As far as I know, these places are not locked down and virtually no community transmission so I am unsure why you are talking about lockdowns. Independence is inefficient.

So someone spends months taking potshots at McGowan and banging on about getting the economy back up & running ASAP, but now wants some states to undo their good work and close down their economies because of .... uniformity??

The "every state for themselves" attitude is a big reason why WA has fared so well.

Perhaps if Gladys had been minding her state's own business rather than telling everyone else what they should be doing, her state wouldn't be shitting themselves right now over random outbreaks.

There's some real mental gymnastics going on in here. Well... being attempted at least. It's not scoring too well with this judge.
At the moment. And for the record I was never "banging on about getting the economy back up & running ASAP" because I have never supported things like 60000 at Optus and large events but was simply saying that the whole "island in an island" strategy has negative effects too that need to be heard. And of course you need to adjust your views with the times. In early June nobody would have considered the prospect of a complete quarantine failure in any state.

The government has already delayed phase 5 because they have judged that they had pushed ahead too quickly and that there is too much complacency in the community. The latter is basically a direct quote from the WA health officer. If anything it looks like the WA government is "shitting itself" about an outbreak in its more open and complacent economy, hence the even tougher border controls and the delay in phase 5.

You cannot possibly compare NSW to WA. NSW has three times the population, more border towns, more international and Victorian arrivals and is a smaller land mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back