MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
So we have two girls who are denied entry permits but come in anyway, are put in quarantine until they can be sent back, leave the quarantine despite security trying to stop them, go to a unit for a 'not a party' and then get sent to court.

The young one is cooperative with police, has no criminal record, puts in an early guilty plea and gets fined $5000.
The older (leader) one doesn't cooperate with police, hangs up on them when contacted by phone, has a criminal record, doesn't put in an early plea and gets a suspended jail term. Pays no money and just has to be good for a few months.

I know which one I'd rather have. Are the courts just out of touch?

So we have two girls who are denied entry permits but come in anyway, are put in quarantine until they can be sent back, leave the quarantine despite security trying to stop them, go to a unit for a 'not a party' and then get sent to court.

The young one is cooperative with police, has no criminal record, puts in an early guilty plea and gets fined $5000.
The older (leader) one doesn't cooperate with police, hangs up on them when contacted by phone, has a criminal record, doesn't put in an early plea and gets a suspended jail term. Pays no money and just has to be good for a few months.

The law is an ass.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

The courts are taking the AFL's MRO approach to dealing with Tom Lynch.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Hoping this gains some traction and caps are lifted in October:

Sounds like quarantine could be expanded significantly as well: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...assenger-caps-raised-to-fill-quarantine-rooms
According to that article, the combined amount of arrivals country wide is about 2k a day. They would have that backlog cleared in a fortnight. I think the bigger issue is airlines not flying the routes because of low numbers of travellers. That is a much harder problem to solve.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
According to that article, the combined amount of arrivals country wide is about 2k a day. They would have that backlog cleared in a fortnight. I think the bigger issue is airlines not flying the routes because of low numbers of travellers. That is a much harder problem to solve.
Currently limited to a government imposed 4000 per week (525 per week to Perth). Raise the arbitrary limit, and people will get on planes. It's near impossible to get on anything but a business or first class fare.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Would it now be irresponsible if the QLD govt keeps their 75% crowd attendance pitch for a GABBA GF?

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 7.34.18 am.png

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
I'm really curious to know how anyone arrived at 75% for a "safe" capacity.
50% seems to me like the absolute least reduction that could make an actual meaningful difference, and even that isn't particularly convincing to me. (If I was setting up tickets I'd have alternate rows empty, but also one spare seat between every group of tickets that are sold.

Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Would it now be irresponsible if the QLD govt keeps their 75% crowd attendance pitch for a GABBA GF?

View attachment 941910

Businesses with COVID Safe Plans are unaffected at this point in time & will need to wait a couple of weeks before the extent of this cluster is known.

Any decisions about stadium attendances will be informed by QLD Health. QLD govt won't risk public health just to host the AFL grand final.

Though the AFL making a decision on the location of the GF next week looking a little shakey now lol.

Probably the harshest penalty dished out so far

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Probably the harshest penalty dished out so far
It doesn't get more deliberate than hiding in a car on the back of a truck. Clearly knew the rules and hid to cheat them.

No mention of any penalty for the truck driver though. She asked him for a lift in Mildura and hid in the car across the border. He clearly knew she was hiding, and facilitated it.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
To be perfectly honest he is lucky to be allowed back in. Plenty of people with just as compelling reasons haven’t been but again it proves rules for some and not for others .

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
It's an interesting one. My brother got rejected for a GTG pass for a death in the family, and there's scores of examples of people who have had that experience. But if you're an AFL footballer, the reasons don't have to be so compelling. Good on Crippa and his family, and if afforded that by the government in the same situation I would do the same, but it does make a mockery when different rules are applied to different people. Same with some of the exemption categories.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Havent seen it posted yet - quarantine breach at the Northbridge Hotel. Some dickhead traveller ignored orders and went out for drinks Friday night. People ordered to get tested, but were allowed to leave the venue to go wherever.

Hopefully nothing comes of it. Absolute w***er.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Havent seen it posted yet - quarantine breach at the Northbridge Hotel. Some dickhead traveller ignored orders and went out for drinks Friday night. People ordered to get tested, but were allowed to leave the venue to go wherever.

Hopefully nothing comes of it. Absolute w***er.
They've announced that his test came back negative. Still pretty shitty. Good thing is the cops were right on it, so safeguards worked.

Really need to give him a bit of jail time, like the chick who snuck across the border. All it will take is one slipping through and we're ****ed.

They've announced that his test came back negative. Still pretty shitty. Good thing is the cops were right on it, so safeguards worked.

Really need to give him a bit of jail time, like the chick who snuck across the border. All it will take is one slipping through and we're f’ed.
Surely he sees the inside of a cell for a bit.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Really need to give him a bit of jail time, like the chick who snuck across the border. All it will take is one slipping through and we're f’ed.
Yep, give him the same 6 months that chick got. I don't want to go back into lockdown because some selfish campaigner can't drink beer at home

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Incidents like this really show the risk of opening up too much while relying on closed borders. Borders can't and won't stop people doing these things.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Incidents like this really show the risk of opening up too much while relying on closed borders. Borders can't and won't stop people doing these things.

They cut down on the number of morons fairly significantly though. Throw the book at this moron and the next one might think twice.

The balance is pretty good at the moment, and probably as good as we're going to get for a while.

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
On one hand, I'm happy that my family and friends in WA are safer now than I am.

On the other, gee I hope this isn't an issue in 6 months time.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Most Australians won't support the cap removal because it doesn't affect them, the same reason why many support WA's hard borders here. They don't have separated families and don't work FIFO so why should they care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back