Not open for further replies.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Actually a fairly insane response to a single case. Aside from the panic buyers doing their thing and that dick refusing a mask yesterday, everyone just shut up shop, wore masks, did as they were told and got their following week sorted within about 3-4 hours notice and without a second thought. Sure it was disrupting and slightly frustrating when it first broke but everyone just copped it and moved on.

It is slightly worrying that we’ve had 0 again though.. there’s absolutely no way he got through without giving it to someone, and they’re potentially still out there somewhere.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually a fairly insane response to a single case. Aside from the panic buyers doing their thing and that dick refusing a mask yesterday, everyone just shut up shop, wore masks, did as they were told and got their following week sorted within about 3-4 hours notice and without a second thought. Sure it was disrupting and slightly frustrating when it first broke but everyone just copped it and moved on.

It is slightly worrying that we’ve had 0 again though.. there’s absolutely no way he got through without giving it to someone, and they’re potentially still out there somewhere.
The incubation period is up to 7 days. Sit tight.

Given this strain is from the UK and believed to be highly contagious, I find it odd that here in WA and QLD there was really not knock on effect as such... yes its only Tuesday but I have to put my thoughts out there.

The incubation period is up to 7 days. Sit tight.

Yep, so why a 5 day lockdown do we think? Are we looking at further lock down measures come Friday?

Given this strain is from the UK and believed to be highly contagious, I find it odd that here in WA and QLD there was really not knock on effect as such... yes its only Tuesday but I have to put my thoughts out there.

Yep, so why a 5 day lockdown do we think? Are we looking at further lock down measures come Friday?

Yeah they already said lockdown would have extended up to 3 weeks if there was community spread.

So far we're looking good to avoid it, but we can't claim victory yet.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

Yeah wouldn’t be getting too excited about it being lifted on Friday. 5 days is to give us a look on Thursday and Friday at what we’re up against. Just need to hope everyone who knows they were at those places went to get a test straight away and aren’t relying on symptoms showing to go and get one. 16.000 tests is a good number though. If it was rampant in the community you’d surely be expecting at least a few from that many.

Yeah they already said lockdown would have extended up to 3 weeks if there was community spread.
Shyte, must have missed that memo. Cheers bud

Yeah wouldn’t be getting too excited about it being lifted on Friday.

Yeah no certainly not getting excited - more hopeful than anything.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

In my head this is how it goes:

5 days gives time and space for contact tracers in the event that cases are found. It acts as a circuit breaker too with the risk of extra infections outside of the primary contacts quite low.

If we continue with a string of 0's then they have the option of continuing lockdown for another week or two just to be safe

Partial lockdown with some restrictions removed

No lockdown and those who have been to those locations continue to isolate for 14 days, masks probably remain for most activities. This is politically the most alluring option if you only have one case but has the biggest chance of backfiring if there's one that got passed the keeper.

There's a chance we got lucky and he was only infectious for a short period of time (hours) before they picked it up in testing and therefore he hasn't passed it on to anyone.

So additional details are it's confirmed it's the UK variant from genome testing.

They believe he caught it from 2 people on the floor he was guarding.
The extent of his contact is believed to be delivering medication to the door of one of the infected people.

Still further investigations pending though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my head this is how it goes:

5 days gives time and space for contact tracers in the event that cases are found. It acts as a circuit breaker too with the risk of extra infections outside of the primary contacts quite low.

If we continue with a string of 0's then they have the option of continuing lockdown for another week or two just to be safe

Partial lockdown with some restrictions removed

No lockdown and those who have been to those locations continue to isolate for 14 days, masks probably remain for most activities. This is politically the most alluring option if you only have one case but has the biggest chance of backfiring if there's one that got passed the keeper.
This is exactly what has happened. All close contacts are in quarantine, and close contacts of close contacts should now have been identified.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

5 days is because our testing capability is not huge given we've had 10 months of nothing, so need time to process.

Even if zero cases on Friday, we don't go straight back. Brisbane and Adelaide are the roadmap, from memory, it's about 2 weeks with a slight lessening (can exercise, no masks unless public transport, maybe some visitors at home etc) then another two weeks of less restrictions (maybe dining of 20 people in restaurants etc) then back.

The thing that worries me is that we won't actually go back to wherw we were last week. They'll slip in some BS additional restrictions, like masks and less people at big gatherings.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So additional details are it's confirmed it's the UK variant from genome testing.

They believe he caught it from 2 people on the floor he was guarding.
The extent of his contact is believed to be delivering medication to the door of one of the infected people.

Still further investigations pending though.
Lol, medication to the door. More like selling drugs and was in their room. Makes a lot more sense as to why the police are leading the hotel procedure investigation now.

Expecting that restrictions, in some form will be in place for another two weeks.
Masks 😷 to be here for the two week period.

McGowan to announce the schedule of restriction easing on Friday - if all continues to go well.

Will be a cautious unwinding of the restrictions.

But IMO better safe than sorry.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah i would be surprised if everything opened right back up 6pm Friday.

I think pubs/bars will be closed for a further week and gatherings limited to 20 or so people.

Also think more shops will open back up but cafes or restaurants.

Also agree with regards to what was mentioned above about drugs and the police being involved. "Medication" surely isn't a security guards job and the fact that piece of information is out all of a sudden after they had no idea how he even came into contact with a guest.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The restrictions on exercise interest me.

We have thousands of overweight and obese people in WA, particularly in people aged from 40-65 which could tip them towards being at risk for COVID. Recently I have been on my own weight loss journey although I have mainly used an exercise bike. How does restricting exercise to one hour per day and forcing people to wear a mask while running lead to a better overall health outcome for WA?

I think its a highest priority thing. Like lets not get covid right now by staying in doors while it could be in the community.

No restrictions on exercise at all. Just exercise outside your home is restricted.

Re mask when running, I dont think any amount of running that someone could do within the 1 week lock down would really change their overall health. It's pretty easy to substitue your exercise out with something you can do inside.

I suspect you know most of the above but for some reason have disregarded the obvious.

Well done on the weight loss journey. I am trying to get back at it.

Just did this:

Which I learnt about when seeing the trailer for this:

Give it a run and let me know how you find it.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have seen sources referenced on Reddit that something like 80% of cases come from 20% of infected people.

Some are great at spreading and some are really poor.

If we continue with zeros maybe we got lucky and this guy is as good at spreading viruses as he is at staying at home after feeling sick after working in the covid hotel.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
It's entirely possible that if the medication drop happened not long after a meal pickup, the infected person could have coughed droplets out of the room (when they picked up their food) that were still hanging around when the security guard left the medication. If no mask was worn, it's an easy transmission route.

I know there was one instance where I had the phone call to pick up food and I opened the door as medication was being dropped off, which I closed immediately when the person spoke (who I didn't know was at the door). It seems like medication drops aren't co-ordinated will meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back