Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at how willingly people took up masks. I'm confident 90%+ will also get the vaccine. Especially once it is clear that you can't travel or send kids to school etc without one.

It's covering your face Vs injecting something in your body

I think there will be a bigger push back

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
i think where it comes to a point your employment could be on the line, you wont be able to travel or enter government buildings or even able to claim benefits from the government people will just accept it and move forward.

reality is there will always be one person who reacts to medicine in a bad way whether it is a vaccine or a tablet. regardless of age gender and size

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
The anti-vaxx brigade is a vocal minority. I expect a high take-up rate.
Take up rate for flu shots tops out around 70%, and there will be plenty who get those jabs that will be hesitant to take a Covid one if my circle of contacts is representative. There's going to need to be a great deal of coercion to get to anything like 90% mentioned a few posts previously.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Take up rate for flu shots tops out around 70%, and there will be plenty who get those jabs that will be hesitant to take a Covid one if my circle of contacts is representative. There's going to need to be a great deal of coercion to get to anything like 90% mentioned a few posts previously.
Speaking of flu and Covid vaccinations...

If you make it a requirement for travel that will definitely boost it past 70%. It is also not difficult to envision similar 'no jab no play' policies being enacted but for COVID.

A large percentage of the 30% that don’t get the flu jab would be people that don’t consider it necessary rather than any concerns over its safety.

I’ve had the flu vaccine once and that was because the place I worked for at the time organised someone to come in and do it at no cost. Every other year I couldn’t be arsed.

Have no issue getting the covid vaccine. Won’t be pushing any oldies out of the way to get to the front of the line but will happily get it in due course

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
A large percentage of the 30% that don’t get the flu jab would be people that don’t consider it necessary rather than any concerns over its safety.

I’ve had the flu vaccine once and that was because the place I worked for at the time organised someone to come in and do it at no cost. Every other year I couldn’t be arsed.

Have no issue getting the covid vaccine. Won’t be pushing any oldies out of the way to get to the front of the line but will happily get it in due course

I always get my jabs when needed but only ever got the flu shot a few years back when i was asked too for work.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Provided that the Federal government doesn't find a way to botch the vaccine rollout, I expect a high uptake including from sceptics as they gradually see the evidence that it is safe.

My biggest concern is virus mutations, specifically South Africa. I wouldn't be surprised if travel opens up to various countries but not South Africa, or even most of the African continent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

And I expect that many people who don't see the need to get a flu shot will feel the same about a Covid vaccine. They'll be in age groups where the Covid risk is very low. I'm not sure the government really wants to go down the coercion route to get the numbers up.

And I expect that many people who don't see the need to get a flu shot will feel the same about a Covid vaccine. They'll be in age groups where the Covid risk is very low. I'm not sure the government really wants to go down the coercion route to get the numbers up.

They already do with no jab, no play.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Any chance after the medicos etc are covered. We can sort the AFL out so we get a normal season.

Jokes aside how many vacines would be needed to cover the AFL front line workers ie players and staff?

4,000 doses being 2,000 x 2 shots.

Lets double that to include staff at grounds across the country.

8,000 doses gets an entire industry up and going?

Are the feds handing that decision to the states and territory govts to manage? Nice handball!

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Jokes aside how many vacines would be needed to cover the AFL front line workers ie players and staff?

4,000 doses being 2,000 x 2 shots.

Lets double that to include staff at grounds across the country.

8,000 doses gets an entire industry up and going?

Are the feds handing that decision to the states and territory govts to manage? Nice handball!
Given there isn't much data on whether transmission is also reduced post-vaccination, there won't be normality until all at-risk groups are vaccinated.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
They already do with no jab, no play.
Those vaccines have decades of proven efficacy and safety. And look at the target audience - parents who would have had the vaccines themselves as kids so are comfortable giving them to their own children. Ask those same parents if they'd support the same policy for their kids with Covid vaccines.

Those vaccines have decades of proven efficacy and safety. And look at the target audience - parents who would have had the vaccines themselves as kids so are comfortable giving them to their own children. Ask those same parents if they'd support the same policy for their kids with Covid vaccines.

That logic does not wash. No jab no play is a policy to incentivise parents to vaccinate when otherwise they would not (either for moral reasons or because they cbf). A government providing incentives to achieve public health outcomes is common and it will be the same with COVID vaccines.

If those same parents were told they needed to vaccinate for COVID for their child to be in day care, you bet they would sign up too at similar rates.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
My biggest concern is virus mutations

Bingo.

The vaccines are being gobbled up by the developed nations, leaving their poorer counterparts to effectively fend for themselves, often with healthcare infrastructure that was already teetering on failure before the pandemic.

The virus will continue to circulate within these forgotten countries, raising more and more mutant strains until the likelihood of one being completely resistant to current vaccines is more probable than not - then we are all back at square one once again with lockdowns as soon as one is identified upon our shores.

At best, less than half of the people on the planet will have the opportunity to receive a vaccine this year.

Unless the threat is addressed upon a fully global scale, current vaccination efforts in wealthy countries will not result in the silver bullet overcomes that are being envisioned and communicated.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Given there isn't much data on whether transmission is also reduced post-vaccination, there won't be normality until all at-risk groups are vaccinated.
This is true. It'll be a while before there are enough jabs in enough arms to make some solid evidence-based decisions about opening things back up.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Bingo.

The vaccines are being gobbled up by the developed nations, leaving their poorer counterparts to effectively fend for themselves, often with healthcare infrastructure that was already teetering on failure before the pandemic.

The virus will continue to circulate within these forgotten countries, raising more and more mutant strains until the likelihood of one being completely resistant to current vaccines is more probable than not - then we are all back at square one once again with lockdowns as soon as one is identified upon our shores.

At best, less than half of the people on the planet will have the opportunity to receive a vaccine this year.

Unless the threat is addressed upon a fully global scale, current vaccination efforts in wealthy countries will not result in the silver bullet overcomes that are being envisioned and communicated.
The developed world for sure needs to help out the developing and third world nations. Not even for some altruistic motive, but because it will benefit us all for the reasons you've outlined.

However, is it not fair that developed nations look to inoculate their own populations as a priority, before lending a helping hand where needed?

Bingo.

Interested in your thoughts on some of the criticisms being levelled at the federal govt for not rolling out the vaccine sooner

I think they’ve been prudent not rushing the approval process the way other more affected countries have as our low rates of infection negate the need for the same urgency.

Also, given the high demand for doses worldwide it seems selfish for a country like ours to be demanding supply ahead of other countries with more immediate need

There’s valid criticism of aspects of the feds response to the pandemic but I don’t believe the vaccine rollout is one of them

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Bingo.

The WHO team who just finished their study of the virus origins found evidence of 5 mutations back in December 2019. This virus isnt going away, the vaccine is there to help lower the mortality rate. It will then become embedded in the population like many others and we will get annual updates like the flu shot.

The developing countries will be inoculated on time, but it's going to take a while to make enough vaccine and establish the logistics for them. It is true that first inoculating the countries where they can't control the virus is the safest way. However, no bunch of tax payers is going to accept paying for another country to be protected first, primarily because they didn't have their s**t together or were too poor to sort out a vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back