Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
They don't actually suspect side-effects, they are just pausing their rollouts due to a couple of people getting blood clots after they were vaccinated. It is likely the clots are unrelated to the vaccinations (would've happened anyway) but they are taking a cautious approach while the issue is investigated. Typically, the media has jumped on it and now the anti-vaxx brigade will anti-vaxx brigade.
Dont agree. The experts are not sure and hence it requires investigation! It has nothing to do with the word "anti".
The life is yours. The more information the better.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

snapshot from the above linked article:
The EMA’s safety committee is reviewing the issue but said that there was currently no indication that vaccination has caused these conditions, which are not listed as side effects. It said that the information available so far showed that the number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people was no higher than that seen in the general population. It said that, as of 10 March, 30 cases of thromboembolic events had been reported among the five million people given the AstraZeneca vaccine in the European Economic Area.

Phil Bryan, vaccines safety lead for the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, said, “More than 11 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have now been administered across the UK. Reports of blood clots received so far are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the vaccinated population.” He added that the agency was keeping the issue under close review but that available evidence did not confirm that the vaccine was the cause.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

snapshot from the above linked article:
The EMA’s safety committee is reviewing the issue but said that there was currently no indication that vaccination has caused these conditions, which are not listed as side effects. It said that the information available so far showed that the number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people was no higher than that seen in the general population. It said that, as of 10 March, 30 cases of thromboembolic events had been reported among the five million people given the AstraZeneca vaccine in the European Economic Area.

Phil Bryan, vaccines safety lead for the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, said, “More than 11 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have now been administered across the UK. Reports of blood clots received so far are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the vaccinated population.” He added that the agency was keeping the issue under close review but that available evidence did not confirm that the vaccine was the cause.
There was an health alert in 2020 in warning people not to take blood thinning drug like aspirin when you have suspected covid.
Whether this directly or indirectly causes the blood clots problem is something the experts need to look into and the public need to know too.
Note: All drugs have effects and side effects. It is a matter knowing them for our benefits.

Last edited:

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
There was an health alert in 2020 in warning people not to take blood thinning drug like aspirin when you have suspected covid.
Whether this directly or indirectly causes the blood clots problem is something the experts need to look into and the public need to know too.
Note: All drugs have effects and side effects. It is a matter knowing them for the benefits of us.

I think the other political factor is the chance for the EU countries to take a swipe at the UK.

I see this analogous with the threat to invoke a hard border in Ireland and over zealous implementation of border check documents as a series of little punishments for Brexit.

Any chance to inconvenience the UK or tarnish their reputation in a passive aggressive way is taken.

I have had the Pfizer vaccine but would have happily had Astra Zenica.

I also have no problem with pausing to check if there is a side effect as you state. It’s common sense. Just remember it is also a chance to snipe at the UK at the same time.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
My view is that these EU shenanigans are less having a swipe at the UK (nice added bonus though) and more of a cover for their own incompetence.

They are looking down the barrel of more lockdowns, they have no vaccines and they have a population that is more than fed up of both these things, plus the associated illnesses and deaths. They are having to resort to basically stealing orders from other countries, orders which will now be wasted due to this slowdown/cover for low vaccinations per day.

PNG is in COVID trouble right now. We would have been in a far better position to help if the EU didn't block supplies that they are now wasting. As it is we won't be much help for probably another month as our own manufacturing finally starts.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
this whole astra zeneca thing smells like horseshit

* EU ****ed up their vaccine program and initially said Astra zeneca shouldnt be used on the elderly
* Astrazeneca isnt meeting production levels required for the EU
* UK don't want to export their vials to the EU because they are not obliged to
* To retaliate EU blocks exports, doesnt affect many countries as they can now source from India or even here.
* To make the vaccine owner suffer financially and put their reputation on the line start to get the media to spread s**t about the vaccine. Even though WHO and the EU health body says theres no correlation. (if there was the UK would have some messy stats)
* Potentially contaminating a batch to get Astrazeneca to start poaching the UK supply across.
* All the bad press will make Astrazeneca potential future opportunities limited while others fill the vacuum (come on down Sputnik), the media pressure will cause further pressure and will make Astrazeneca to increase productitivy for the EU
* EU will then say vaccine all clear and everything back to normal as long as they get their way

Last edited:

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Good to see that we are supporting PNG.

I also think it is a good move by the government to put pressure on the EU to release vaccines for PNG, a developing country. Vaccine protectionism looks far worse when it is a developing, under resourced country suffering.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
Good to see that we are supporting PNG.

I also think it is a good move by the government to put pressure on the EU to release vaccines for PNG, a developing country. Vaccine protectionism looks far worse when it is a developing, under resourced country suffering.

were supporting them because if it somehow crosses to us therell be another lockdown.

in saying that well done on scomo from marketing.

but now we will see vaccinations hopefully go in full swing

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
were supporting them because if it somehow crosses to us therell be another lockdown.

in saying that well done on scomo from marketing.

but now we will see vaccinations hopefully go in full swing
Oh don't get me wrong, I know that it is full of self interest for the government and Australia in general.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Annastacia Palaszczuk
@AnnastaciaMP

·
3m

BREAKING: One of the COVID-19 cases confirmed in Queensland overnight appears to be locally acquired. The case is a 26-year-old man from Stafford. He was tested yesterday but has been infectious in the community since last Friday.

Mmm fingers crossed they get on top of that one quick!
Let's hope so! This bloody thing keeps finding a way through.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Let's hope so! This bloody thing keeps finding a way through.
Never fear we've got the covid safe app to look after us. Last count it had cost 75 million dollars and is ticking over a hundred grand a day. It's money well spent though because it has picked up 17 contacts in 11 months.
Who would of thought it would be an expensive cockup? Someone made a quid though so it's all good.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Never fear we've got the covid safe app to look after us. Last count it had cost 75 million dollars and is ticking over a hundred grand a day. It's money well spent though because it has picked up 17 contacts in 11 months.
Who would of thought it would be an expensive cockup? Someone made a quid though so it's all good.
Considering we spent several billion on stimulus etc, I'll give a pass for the COVID app. We were desperate for answers and it was made on the fly.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
This Queensland scenario as its stands should be a non issue. Unfortunately our vaccine rollout started slow and is already behind schedule which means even a small amount of spread leaves Queensland open to lockdown and border restrictions.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Second locally infected case here in Qld, related to the case announced on Friday.

All but guaranteed that SE Qld will go into an Easter lockdown now.

NSW and Victoria already have put up travel restrictions - other states likely to follow.

Unofficial word that I have heard this morning is if lockdowns are required for an extended period, the plan is for Qld clubs to hub in NSW.

Thankfully we have Gold Coast out of the way and Brisbane is not fixtured until Round 23, which should minimise any disruption incurred upon us.

Personally, this one is of worry to me as the wife is currently severely immuno-compromised and all of her recent appointments for her treatments are are right in the middle of the tracing area of concern.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Second locally infected case here in Qld, related to the case announced on Friday.

All but guaranteed that SE Qld will go into an Easter lockdown now.

NSW and Victoria already have put up travel restrictions - other states likely to follow.

Unofficial word that I have heard this morning is if lockdowns are required for an extended period, the plan is for Qld clubs to hub in NSW.

Thankfully we have Gold Coast out of the way and Brisbane is not fixtured until Round 23, which should minimise any disruption incurred upon us.

Personally, this one is of worry to me as the wife is currently severely immuno-compromised and all of her recent appointments for her treatments are are right in the middle of the tracing area of concern.
Good luck to you both mate, hope it's all good

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Also it has been confirmed that the cases in Qld are of the B117 variant (known otherwise as the UK or Kent variant).

Genomic testing also linked the case announced on Friday to the cluster in south Brisbane from March 12.

What isn't being said publicly is that means the B117 variant has remained unidentified within SE Qld for the past two weeks, and that the current known cases could be far from a true representation of spread within the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back