Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
They're still figuring that out. Israel is the best case study, as they did a deal with one of the manufacturers (I think pfizer) to prioritise supply and quickly vaccinate the whole population. In exchange, the government gives them all the health data, so it acts like a massive population test.

Early results indicated that the vaccine does reduce transmission because it reduces viral load. As we've seen in Australia, those with low viral load, don't spread the virus easily (as indicated by several cases of people in the community not transmitting). This is true for most viruses.

I haven't read anything on it for a few months, so it would be interesting to see how their cases are tracking.
I think there was a study today that analysed transmission-38 to 49% reduction 14 days after 1 dose of Ox/Az or Pfizer respectively which is huge. You'd expect the data will be much better after 2 doses

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I was in 1B, but being under 50 still can't get it. Actually I might have even been 1A.
Really? My partner was in 1B and received the Az vaccine last week. Her GP practice got in a stink about it, so she went to one in the city and they gave it to her straight away.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Really? My partner was in 1B and received the Az vaccine last week. Her GP practice got in a stink about it, so she went to one in the city and they gave it to her straight away.
I haven't pushed too hard.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, they were freaking out after the blood clot stuff, and the receptionist told her "no GP in Australia will give you the vaccine."
Nek minnit, vaccinated!
There is way too much confusion still and stuff like this from GP's really doesn't help.

I have a relative, a woman who turns 50 in a month or so and she could also be potentially classed as 1B due to medical reasons. Where does she fit on the rollout in terms of both access and in regards to which vaccine she will be offered (would prefer Pfizer but would still take AZ without question) ?

I'm not surprised that hesitancy is on the rise even though I think that it is has no basis, the rollout in this country is about as clear as mud.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
There is way too much confusion still and stuff like this from GP's really doesn't help.

I have a relative, a woman who turns 50 in a month or so and she could also be potentially classed as 1B due to medical reasons. Where does she fit on the rollout in terms of both access and in regards to which vaccine she will be offered (would prefer Pfizer but would still take AZ without question) ?

I'm not surprised that hesitancy is on the rise even though I think that it is has no basis, the rollout in this country is about as clear as mud.
Absolutely agree. It's pretty disgusting as it's been driven by the sensationalist media trying to sell.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
There is way too much confusion still and

Is it that confusing? She fits into the highest category that she qualifies for, which is probably 1B.

Instead of getting bogged down on remote risks like blood clots, the governments (Federal and State) need to start pushing the message out about going and getting vaccinated. It's astounding that the WA government only launched their vaccine push today.

Absolutely agree. It's pretty disgusting as it's been driven by the sensationalist media trying to sell.

No matter your views on COVID or the vaccines or on each level of government I think most would agree the Australian vaccine rollout has been delayed, confusing and lagging behind many other countries with far greater populations to inoculate.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No matter your views on COVID or the vaccines or on each level of government I think most would agree the Australian vaccine rollout has been delayed, confusing and lagging behind many other countries with far greater populations to inoculate.
$That's what they want you to think$

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It is slow but I'm not sure how they could have sped it up, without compromising on our regulatory approval (which wasnt warranted due to our success in containment). The supply stuff sucks, but from memory, they picked the Oxford one because we had local manufacturing capability, as they knew importing supply would be problematic.

The other issue we have is that there doesn't feel like a pressing need to be vaccinated. This must be affecting take-up, as even if the vaccine is available, people still need to have it.

I think the turning point will be when there is ample supply and it is open to most people, and they start offering reduced restrictions if you've had the vaccine. Such as overseas travel, not having to quarantine if there is a local flare-up etc.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It is slow but I'm not sure how they could have sped it up, without compromising on our regulatory approval (which wasnt warranted due to our success in containment). The supply stuff sucks, but from memory, they picked the Oxford one because we had local manufacturing capability, as they knew importing supply would be problematic.

The other issue we have is that there doesn't feel like a pressing need to be vaccinated. This must be affecting take-up, as even if the vaccine is available, people still need to have it.

I think the turning point will be when there is ample supply and it is open to most people, and they start offering reduced restrictions if you've had the vaccine. Such as overseas travel, not having to quarantine if there is a local flare-up etc.
OS travel might be a big one, incentive-wise.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast

I’m still hopeful that the maybes will turn when they see the US, UK, Israel and eventually Europe beginning to open up to each other and the world. Singapore will be a good example if you are looking closer to home too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back