Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masks though...
This is such a * around. I will take an uber to the ground and not wear a mask. While outside I will not wear a mask. At the Camfield, I will not wear a mask (it is not a club). At the ground, I will wear a mask on the way in, but will immediately buy a beer and proceed to "drink it " for the whole game, so that I will not wear a mask.

What ******* peanuts come up with this s**t? Oh, but it is all on "medical advice". The same advice that said last year, we could only have 50% capacity because of all the risks. But 9 months later, it's No worries.

Last lockdown in Jan/Feb, venues absolutely could only do 4m2 with masks in the second week. This time, the businesses have complained about the heavy handed nature of snap lockdowns and the public is grumbling, so no worries, open up completely.

Nightclubs clearly don't have friends, as they get stuck with 4m2 and masks. Except, clubs are huge, so when they add all the non-public areas in, they will have full capacity anyway. Oh, and everyone will be drinking or smoking so no masks.

This whole thing is a piss take. As it stands, we are effectively back to completely open. That's fine, if the risks warrant it. If not, we're just playing pretend and crossing our fingers.

But it's all on the medical advice though...

This is such a fu** around. I will take an uber to the ground and not wear a mask. While outside I will not wear a mask. At the Camfield, I will not wear a mask (it is not a club). At the ground, I will wear a mask on the way in, but will immediately buy a beer and proceed to "drink it " for the whole game, so that I will not wear a mask.

What ******* peanuts come up with this sh*t? Oh, but it is all on "medical advice". The same advice that said last year, we could only have 50% capacity because of all the risks. But 9 months later, it's No worries.

Last lockdown in Jan/Feb, venues absolutely could only do 4m2 with masks in the second week. This time, the businesses have complained about the heavy handed nature of snap lockdowns and the public is grumbling, so no worries, open up completely.

Nightclubs clearly don't have friends, as they get stuck with 4m2 and masks. Except, clubs are huge, so when they add all the non-public areas in, they will have full capacity anyway. Oh, and everyone will be drinking or smoking so no masks.

This whole thing is a piss take. As it stands, we are effectively back to completely open. That's fine, if the risks warrant it. If not, we're just playing pretend and crossing our fingers.

But it's all on the medical advice though...
I think in both the Uber and Camfield (inside) you are supposed to wear a mask ;)

I'm heading up north with a couple of mates mid next week for a boys trip, who are going to have to officially become my household so we don't have to wear masks in the car for 15 hours. As soon as we get out of the car into our shared accommodation, no mask required.

If I am sitting in an office with 10 people we all have to wear masks, then if myself, those 10 and another random 9 people off the street then walk into my house, we can all take our masks off.

I love a good hypothetical as much as the next person, but when was the last time you invited 9 random people in off the street?

If I am sitting in an office with 10 people we all have to wear masks, then if myself, those 10 and another random 9 people off the street then walk into my house, we can all take our masks off.

The inside workplace/office thing is basically a one size fits all. It keeps it simple and clear, but it's also very annoying for small businesses.

I work in a team of about 15 in an office, but we all have our own office. There's more chance of us spreading germs by hanging off the one coffee machine or using the photo copier than there is passing by one another in close proximity to share vapour droplets or whatever.

The rule protects the large, open plan offices in the city. I understand why they've done it, because if you have too many clauses and options for individuals, it becomes murky and of low compliance. But it's still annoying.

The inside workplace/office thing is basically a one size fits all. It keeps it simple and clear, but it's also very annoying for small businesses.

I work in a team of about 15 in an office, but we all have our own office. There's more chance of us spreading germs by hanging off the one coffee machine or using the photo copier than there is passing by one another in close proximity to share vapour droplets or whatever.

The rule protects the large, open plan offices in the city. I understand why they've done it, because if you have too many clauses and options for individuals, it becomes murky and of low compliance. But it's still annoying.
I guess my point is that in the grand scheme of things it really is a pointless exercise. I am by no means anti-mask and I will wear one when I have to but next week of "you have to wear a mask sometimes but other times you don't and this protects us from covid" seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess my point is that in the grand scheme of things it really is a pointless exercise. I am by no means anti-mask and I will wear one when I have to but next week of "you have to wear a mask sometimes but other times you don't and this protects us from covid" seems a bit of a waste of time to me.
Yeah, I'm a bit flippant about it all but I think it's really difficult - you have to draw lines somewhere and they will always end up somewhat arbitrary.

I agree completely. I knew they'd pedal the masks until we hit 2 weeks of no community transmission. It was so predictable. But the rhetoric around Mark has definitely shifted in the last fortnight. I think he can sense it as well, so this is his attempt to walk it back a bit, and it's left some scenarios in a weird middle ground.

That’s been my life for years.

giphy.gif

I've said it before. The masks are being used as a visual cue to promote effective behaviours in social distancing and hand hygiene. These behaviours seem to be very effective in limiting transmission.

I think the science on the masks is pretty solid around them not being effective in terms of stopping the transfer of the virus. Certainly not the type and execution of mask wearing that the majority are utilising.

I think from a health point of view you should be wearing them in a private residence, they just acknowledge it's an impossible thing to police.

Yeah, I'm a bit flippant about it all but I think it's really difficult - you have to draw lines somewhere and they will always end up somewhat arbitrary.
I've noticed a huge change in attitude this time around. I think the shock of lockdowns have worn off a bit and people seem to be seeing through the bullshit contradictory rules a lot more. I've had a couple of meetings with different businesses where they were still in the office and no-one could be ****ed wearing a mask (I was on zoom but could see what was happening on their end), and I'm seeing them coming off a lot more around the place in public as well. Things like these crazy new guidelines don't help at all, there are more holes in them than North Melbourne's defensive zone.

Someone with Covid who caught it at a restaurant was picked up during the snap lockdown, which means in this instance the 3 day lockdown probably prevented a larger outbreak. Why complain about rapidly easing restrictions that will have the effect of making people more cautious just in case we missed someone? This illness still has a 14 day incubation period right?

Pretty sure the government is relying on enough people doing the right thing that in the unlikely event we have missed someone Covid positive spread will be more limited than if there were no restrictions, so if you want to set a bad example for everyone go for it but don't pretend it's righteous.

Pretty sure the government is relying on enough people doing the right thing that in the unlikely event we have missed someone Covid positive spread will be more limited than if there were no restrictions, so if you want to set a bad example for everyone go for it but don't pretend it's righteous.
I'm 100% sure that's their approach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back