Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state of the economy is proof massive fiscal stimulus works, it worked during the GFC and is working now. Difference being when Rudd spent it was was a debt and deficit disaster/crisis and now the Libs have done it they consider themselves genius's.

The vaccine rollout here has been the longest dog's breakfast in history, just like the NBN they went cheap and ended up with something half as good.
Astra Zeneca will stop deaths but is unlikely to get us to herd immunity. Uk cases have doubled in two weeks to 9,000 a day using mostly Astra while Israel is down to single digits a day using Pfizer. Putting most of our eggs in one basket has proved to be foolhardy.

As someone just over 60 who has had one Astra shot my reaction to todays news is GAGF
AZ still offers plenty of protection though, so in your case Doggie, I don't think you should feel wronged.

I still think the Govt or WHO still owe us the risk comparison of Covid vaccines by showing us:
Hospitalization or death within 60 days (or 90 days) after taking a Covid vaccines Vs Age Groups Vs Vaccine Brands.
This should paint a picture of the risks.

he will get butchered in victoria and WA. WA will not be supporting scomo with mcgowans rhetoric.

Victoria. Enough said.
I don't think Joe average really knows or cares about the parties. They look at the leader and if they feel comfortable and don't hate the incumbent, they vote against change.

Victoria doesn't have many federal seats currently anyway, there is a reason that the federal government is leaving them out in the cold.

It's all well and good to sit back now and say we should have pfizer, but how would we have obtained it? We can't manufacturer it onshore and I don't see how we could have jumped ahead in the supply queue, given US and Europe needed it much more than us.

Now that they are more advanced in their vaccine programs, I expect a boatload of pfizer to turn up in the next few months. This has always been the type of program that will roll out exponentially.

The Government will start getting a lot of heat on slow vaccine toward the end of the year as other countries open up and we don't. This will lead to an acceleration of the vaccine program (coinciding with increased access to supply) and we'll be opening around Q2 next year. Government might think they are calling an election soon, but there's no way they will when everyone is pissed that they can't go overseas while other countries can.

I don't think Joe average really knows or cares about the parties. They look at the leader and if they feel comfortable and don't hate the incumbent, they vote against change.

Victoria doesn't have many federal seats currently anyway, there is a reason that the federal government is leaving them out in the cold.
they have 38

they have 38

I think he means the Liberals don’t have many seats in Victoria.

There are 38 seats here and, on a bad night for them in 2019, Labor increased their majority from 18 to 21, and the Liberals went from 15 to 12 (plus 3 more for the Nationals).

Scomo is poison here.

He almost never comes to Melbourne and is heckled when he does.

Will be interesting to see what happens to some liberals from here - including Hunt, Frydenburg and Tudge - after they politicised the pandemic last year. ‘From Victoria, but not for Victoria’ is a label that has stuck and people will remember them. They won’t be turfed out, but there might be a solid swing.

Last edited:
Agreeing I think. Albo will lead with negative comments about the goverment, rather than positive comments about policy.
It seems the Abbott method of negativity works better than the Shorten one of heaps of policies. Lot's of policies from the opposition allows a negative campaign from the govt. We saw it as well in the Keating vs Hewson election, a govt that deserved to lose won because they were given the ammo to run a negative campaign ala Scomo.

I know this isn't a politics thread, so I won't follow up any further, but my point yesterday was that I couldn't understand why Albo & co aren't hammering the government on the vaccine rollout. When Abbott was opposition leader, he was everywhere, everyday, sledging the sh*t out of the government for anything he could think of, mostly the big scary new carbon tax. I can't remember the last time I saw or read about what Albanese said or did.

Anyway, Pfizer for 50-59s now, eh?

I confidently predict that 100% of cases of blood clots due to the Astra vaccine from here on will be in people over 60 years of age, what do we do then?
I find it hard to believe that your risk of clots is due to your age. They have to keep giving it some people otherwise the rollout will be a bigger shitshow than it already is. Older people are more likely to die of covid so the reward vs risk is greater for that demographic but the vaccine is no safer than it is for younger people.

I know this isn't a politics thread, so I won't follow up any further, but my point yesterday was that I couldn't understand why Albo & co aren't hammering the government on the vaccine rollout. When Abbott was opposition leader, he was everywhere, everyday, sledging the sh*t out of the government for anything he could think of, mostly the big scary new carbon tax. I can't remember the last time I saw or read about what Albanese said or did.

cos albo doesnt seem like a annoying whinging degenerative campaigner. abbott was

I confidently predict that 100% of cases of blood clots due to the Astra vaccine from here on will be in people over 60 years of age, what do we do then?
I find it hard to believe that your risk of clots is due to your age. They have to keep giving it some people otherwise the rollout will be a bigger shitshow than it already is. Older people are more likely to die of covid so the reward vs risk is greater for that demographic but the vaccine is no safer than it is for younger people.
whats worse is the amount of money the govt has spent on az and the production facilities. now were just producing vaccines that can be used for a fraction of the population and then we will be left with an oversupply that we will just send overseas.

hunt i think indirectly suggested that AZ wont be used from next year as pfizer moderna and novavax will be abundant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think any talk of the vaccine is a bit of a political own-goal (either side).

The election is in 18 months or so - 18 months ago we weren't even talking about COVID so a lot can change.

The retort of the rollout being delayed due to safety concerns will resonate with the public (see how many are hesitant to get AZ even though they are eligible) - so why bother right now if you are Albo. Wait and see, and if it is still a shemozle in the lead up to the election then go hard.

I think any talk of the vaccine is a bit of a political own-goal (either side).

The election is in 18 months or so - 18 months ago we weren't even talking about COVID so a lot can change.

The retort of the rollout being delayed due to safety concerns will resonate with the public (see how many are hesitant to get AZ even though they are eligible) - so why bother right now if you are Albo. Wait and see, and if it is still a shemozle in the lead up to the election then go hard.
Just go hard and reinforce the current perception of a shemozzle, even if the Govt gets their act together. Worrying about facts didn't seem to dissuade Abbott all that much.

Just go hard and reinforce the current perception of a shemozzle, even if the Govt gets their act together. Worrying about facts didn't seem to dissuade Abbott all that much.
I know what your saying, but I really can't endorse any strategy that says "Do what Abbott did".

As far as I am concerned these people can get lost then.

I'm tired of the maybes. These people work with the most vulnerable people in society and still have this selfish mindset. Piss them off and bring some overseas vaccinated workers in.

Pricks in the 50-75 year old age group who have never been through a crisis in their lives breaking support staff. This country is ****ed.

Countries around the world are desperate for vaccines, look at Indonesia our most important neighbour for example yet these people threw a hissy fit because they didn't get the one they wanted. ZERO perspective.

As far as I am concerned these people can get lost then.

I'm tired of the maybes. These people work with the most vulnerable people in society and still have this selfish mindset. Piss them off and bring some overseas vaccinated workers in.
Agreed. My mate is an employment law expert and reckons it is legal to make it a condition of employment, so maybe they won't be able to sit on the fence for much longer

Pricks in the 50-75 year old age group who have never been through a crisis in their lives breaking support staff. This country is f’ed.

Where in that tweet did it say people 50-75 yrs old were the ones handing out abuse. Vaccinations are open for people over 30 in WA and no more than 40 in other states but you've decided the abuse came from oldies. And how do you know they've never been through a crisis? The country is fkd because too many people form opinions based on no evidence and abuse people on the back of it.

Now that youtube have taken the discussion linked before, good frame of reference can be found here for anyone interested to continue weighing this vaccine rollout. Can see most commenting on here are very pro rollout and think we are way behind, the majority of people are vaccine hesitant though still and there are good reasons for that. Drs, Nurses, Aged care workers are not idiots just for having doubts about the efficacy of experimental vaccines being rolled out in dubious circumstances. Would be a great way to cause a public health emergency to try and force these frontline workers into taking a medicine they don't want to take, so good luck with that. [Were do we propose to find replacements for the % that walk, hospitals are on the brink already and aged care work is completely thankless work as it is, probably not a good idea to give these people and excuse to vacate their jobs]

^This time all the good stuff is in firth half hour, no annoying campaigners talking over each other either ^

Its a simple fact that whether we have vaccines available for the willing or not, perfectly safe [and effective] therapeutics can help eradicate the pandemic and they are being passed over purely out of greed. Big Pharma are filling their boots and filling the boots of public officials and media commentators and thats as plain as the nose on your face to anyone willing to look.

There are legitimate concerns that the downside to trying to strong arm the entire planet to take the vaccine is going to create a rolling pandemic by corralling the virus onto a new evolutionary path that favours mutations and strains that the vaccines don't stop. Many think that this has already started happening and as a consequence the pandemic will just roll on forever. The whole situation is just stupid, corruption is rife, and as with everything involving the public service and politicians there has been no effective leadership and extremely poor public policy that's only sustainable for so long. Whats going to happen when the 20 something and teams are told they need to take the vaccine and the AFL mandates all the players get the jab and we have finals to play and the players rightly revolt due to the risks of myocarditis [heart inflammation]. Club drs in sports leagues overseas are taking quite a lot of caution in this space because they understand the risks are real. Maybe you can vaccinate the entire team without issue, bu vaccinating the entire team and letting them run 15km in 2 hours on the weekend is not a particularly safe thing for many hundreds of professional athletes in the 18-25 range. Clubs and AFL would be exposing themselves to unprecedented risk of future litigation if it was to look at any kind of vaccine mandate, and like all workplaces one would assume because of this in club land whether you get vaccinated is going to remain personal choice.

Countries around the world are desperate for vaccines, look at Indonesia our most important neighbour for example yet these people threw a hissy fit because they didn't get the one they wanted. ZERO perspective.

I have my doubts about countries like Indonesia being desperate for vaccines, they are arguably better placed than we are and have multiple options available, for instance https://bird-group.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Indonesia-Statement-June-14-FINAL.pdf

The G7 discussed the "problem" of "busted arse" countries at length in the last week. They [including we] are all now fully committed to donating billions of doses of vaccine using our tax dollars starting immediately, because the secret is getting out that there are effective alternatives and hundreds of billions or dollars are on the line for poor first world companies if the third world is allowed to further pursue therapeutics. Cost of ivermectin $130 per kilo, average dose a couple of grams. Studies continue to pile up that show its 100% effective when taken preventatively, very effective at reducing viral load, quite effective at treating symptoms for covid positive individuals. Any vaccines that are deemed unsafe or that have low public trust [eg astra now, Pfizer/moderna once Novavac is online] will be donated to less important countries as we get newer and safer vaccines that will be more effective at targeting variants.

Last edited:
I have my doubts about countries like Indonesia being desperate for vaccines, they are arguable better placed than we are and have multiple options available, for instance https://bird-group.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Indonesia-Statement-June-14-FINAL.pdf

The G7 discussed the "problem" of "busted arse" countries at length in the last week. They [ including we] are all now fully committed to donating billions of doses of vaccine using out tax dollars starting immediately, because the secret is getting out that there are effective alternatives and hundreds of billions or dollars are on the line if the third world is allowed to further pursue therapeutics. Cost of ivermectin $130 per kilo, average dose a couple of grams. Studies are piling up now to show its 100% effective taken preventatively, very effective at reducing viral load, quite effective at treating symptoms for covid positive individuals.
I really couldn't give a s**t. Jog on back to the whacko corner of the internet.

Where in that tweet did it say people 50-75 yrs old were the ones handing out abuse. Vaccinations are open for people over 30 in WA and no more than 40 in other states but you've decided the abuse came from oldies. And how do you know they've never been through a crisis? The country is fkd because too many people form opinions based on no evidence and abuse people on the back of it.
Your response just proves my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back