Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Nobody is beyond reproach. Many people in this thread have criticised the Chinese response to Covid, just seemingly not in a way that works for you. Similarly, criticising the US’s response is not an acceptance of China’s response.

It’s probably time for everyone to move away from “who is most at fault for this” and get the thread back on track.

Looking back through thread history we will have to agree to disagree there.

Either way happy to move on.

Hopefully China's learns it's lesson and we aren't making another megathread in 15 years time.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Of course its true. Where is the hate for Xi Jingping? They covered it all up, imprisioned doctors, bought up all the medical supplies from other countries (while saying there is nothing worry about) and then diverted medical equipment to the local market even for foreign owned business. Then they have the nerve to claim that any blame towards them is racist.

What about the WHO? The leader is compromised due to his country recieving billions of needed investment from China. They claimed there was no person to person transmission and claimed travel bans were not needed (were even critical of those that did impose bans). All while praising China (see previous paragraph). Then THEY have the nerve to claim the world missed the 1st window to stop the outbreak and needed to do more.

But of course you have nothing to say about them do you? Media didn't tell you so you don't know/care.
Haha, no.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Love cricket but just imagine a Boxing day AFL Grand Final ...the AFL commission would love that and could happen .
Yes and Trump is all over the place but who isn't right now and China never been there and I'm never going either .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would share them if I could but I can't find them anywhere. I know we were one of best per capita a week ago who knows now?
Was still highest in the world (maybe slightly behind South Korea) a day or 2 ago, and lowest positive results.

Which I think equates to - at this stage less ****ed than most others. But still pretty ****ed.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Its not really corona related but I wonder if someone like North Korea will have a crack at the US when they are crippled.
Reckon that’ll be the next thing. Going to be some big fights once this blows over. At the moment everyone’s just concerned with the virus but once it’s gone the blame game will begin and s**t will fly as everyone tries to get their economy out of the s**t. Don’t think China and Russia are going to pass up this opportunity to f*ck everyone over. The world has definitely changed for the foreseeable future.

Wonder how this weekend is going to pan out.

Last Sunday was when my girls realised s**t was indeed real - and that their whole life was changing in front of them.

Same.

I am an old Hippy and haven't ever had to live through one of these World Health Crisis, worst I have had to endure is a couple of significant financial collapses, but I vividly remember my parents talking about how as kids the War Years created an atmosphere of uncertainty and insecurity that griped a generation .
These events left an indelible mark on my late parents, even as life latter became abundant and they lived in a prosperous era, they never forgot the hard times and were always grateful for the charmed years that came in the middle and latter part of their life.

Like wise my Grandparents who lived through not one, but two, world wars and the great depression . ( Holy F*** can you imagine that )
They celebrated the small things in life and took great joy and pleasure being able to share those things and moments with their kinfolk.
But they were always cautious, scepticial and questioned if the good times would last.

I would be being less than truthful if I did not admit, that I too, have been influenced by my grandparents and parents values.
Work hard, save hard, don't live beyond your means.
If you need to take out a loan, or , put on the credit card,the money to fund your holiday.....then don't go ... because you cant afford it.

Fast Forward.

My child has been blessed beyond belief and is now faced with the stark reality that, the yellow brick road, has just been ripped up and wont ever be the same again.

Child is now a young adult, in their late 20's and mates have this week been stood down, their home loan repayments still need to be met, uncertainty and financial stress is now a reality.
The future doesn't look quite as rosy as it did at party central on New Years Eve.

Child now looks at the TV and exclaims what the F*** is happening to the world.

Alas Innocence Lost.

Its a stark reality check and its hit this generations "Camelot", like an exercept missile thats slammed into the hull of the HMAS GoodTimes.

I hope like hell ..... ( put out warm fuzzies ..... generate good karma....... throw out good energy .... or pray .... what ever works for you ), that we all make it through the other side of this massive s**t storm.

But one thing is certain as we move forward we will all be reminded of the line in the Star Trekkin song " Its life Jim but not as we know it".

If I sound a bit morose and down, its because its been a very shitty week for planet earth and all its inhabitants..... and the prospects next week look even shittier.

And if you think I am painting the millennials in a bad light, I am also acknowledging that us boomer are also getting a reality check nothing demonstrates this better than this .... as I caught myself out ......

Six weeks ago I had my own favourite brand of toilet paper and it was always in the store.
Today I am just grateful for something to wipe my arse with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies but the emotional unload has been very therapeutic.

Last edited:

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Page-catching the thread while I watch an old game of footy that we look likely to lose, and:
- Personally I still have a vested interest in Trump's shenanigans because his f*ckups directly affect my superannuation balance
- Re. wet markets, keep in mind that they're not exclusive to China
- Australia *appears* to be doing pretty well so far, and WA even better. Lines are trending in the good direction. I'm just not sure what they're worth, given our testing criteria.

covid-19.jpg

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The reason why people are thinking about the economy in addition to infection rates:

That spike 5-6 times the highest spikes during recessions in the last 50 years.

We are talking Great Depression levels.

We may well survive Covid 19 and only to die from the economic fallout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back