Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...The AFL, NRL and NSL in Australia would be almost the only sports still being played not only in Australia but worldwide...

and now we come to the heart of the matter. If the AFL can be the only league playing in the world imagine the exposure. Every.single.betting.market on the planet betting on AFL.

The exposure, dear gawd the exposure.

It could be Gill's crowning achievement.

Regardless of the decision on the season I have just created a new fascination I’d like solved - is the language on contracts around calendar years or around number of seasons.

I.e. if a player is signed until 2022, does that mean they’re signed until 2022 or until they complete three seasons with the club. It’s always presented as the same thing, because in practice it is, but if they cancelled the season would everyone have one less year on their deal?
Based on my extensive (read almost non-existent) legal knowledge my understanding is the contracts are based on dates

Where the contracts will get tricky is on incentives around games played, B&F finishes, etc. especially in relation to trigger clauses

Based on my extensive (read almost non-existent) legal knowledge my understanding is the contracts are based on dates

Where the contracts will get tricky is on incentives around games played, B&F finishes, etc. especially in relation to trigger clauses

Disposal count. Disposals per game. Goals per game bonuses etc.

Players have less time, do they get pro rated?

Whole thing is such a mess.

1584521903629.png
We can adjust Australia's prediction up a little. From the data yesterday, you would have predicted 87 new cases today, there have so far been 113 new cases.
For reference, you can see why Trump has rapidly changed his tune, and why the UK has very quickly gone into lockdown in the last 48 hours. Australia is doing comparatively well, but that can change quickly if people get complacent. Having done those numbers, I'm a little more nervous to be in the UK. Very happy not to be in a massive city like London.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW to play preliminary finals this weekend which is an acknowledgment that they are unlikely to get through the rest of the season.

Why the * are they starting the men’s competition

Temp checks are a waste of time for a lot of people can be infected without showing symptoms.

They are implementing steps and then monitoring the response before putting more in place. If you are worried, take precautions for yourself now (which will also benefit the community). We will get through this.
lmao

Sure. What steps? There is best practice and there is sitting on your hands. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan. Or the US, Spain and Italy.

Thank goodness this is a text-based forum because I'm speechless rn

Wonder if this might change CA's mind about the summer of cricket. It looked like Brissy was going to get a test against India over us but surely after months of no sports, the WA folks should fill day 1/2 of the India test now.
Is WA the only state that will miss out on footy?

Meanwhile at AFL House sundownder...

"So get this...I tell them we're going ahead with the season!"

giphy.gif

Yes. Absurdly simple.

Simmo has said the AFL are weighing up whether or not to play five games in three weeks, or to just postpone it.

In three weeks time when half the league are injured and/or infected and they have to shut it down anyway, what was the point of the three weeks of compromised, shortened, not quite footy footy?

They know they’re not getting a full season in, they’re just trying to hold on as long as possible until the government make the call for them.

The season hasn’t started. If we were a few games away from finishing, do what you have to. It’s not even started yet. They know it won’t last a full season before being shut down. Do it now, stop crying over lost broadcast money and just make the blindingly obvious call.

There is no argument in favour of starting the season tomorrow that goes beyond “but I like money” or “but I want to watch football”.
Yeah, Australia is having an absolute normal one at the moment. And when I see some of the spineless money grubbing *heads in parliament and do nothings in this thread, I am not shocked.

Was at the hospital half an hour ago, and a couple of the doctors were having a chat. One was absolutely beside themselves. Said their school hadnt closed and the public advice to the kids had sent the complete wrong message. Her teenage son was having a conniption because she didnt want him hanging out with his mates for the season opener.

AFLW to play preliminary finals this weekend which is an acknowledgment that they are unlikely to get through the rest of the season.

Why the fu** are they starting the men’s competition
Gods sake

This is ******* madness.

MADNESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back