Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feeling pretty uneasy, as Australia is now doing a lot more to slow the virus than here in Japan.

People here are relaxed and going out as normal, the city streets and shops are busy with locals despite being devoid of foreign tourists. All the school graduation ceremonies went ahead despite the supposed closure of schools, and Abe has confirmed they will reopen again after the spring holidays. Airports are still open as normal to many countries. They can put up as many "cough etiquette" signs around the cherry blossoms as they like, people will still be going out in hordes over the next few weeks.

Yet the growth remains slow, and the hospitals are not creaking under the weight of bed demand. Is it an usually long calm before the storm, or have the officials done enough?

Ah well, nearly time to crack open a Suntory Premium Malts and stop worrying for a couple of hours. Could be the only footy we get all year!

I’m ******* livid with this. Everybody on earth knew it was a bad idea, but the AFL wanted to keep plugging away because they’re imbeciles.

Didn’t even complete a full round before announcing the shut down.

Wouldn’t it be great to come back in several months time with all teams on 0-0-0, start fresh albeit late? Well you’ve f’ed that now. Good job Gil. Good job *******s.

Livid isn’t the word.
Deep breath, Badge. Then repeat.

Deep breath, Badge. Then repeat.

I know I’m going unnecessarily hard but it was the most predictable situation on earth and they’ve fumbled it.

I’ve got group chats where we tried to predict when the season would be suspended, and the LATEST guess was after the completion of round 1.

Everyone saw this coming. It’s such a needless thing, to play one game of football then take months off before the next one? They had such a free pass with all teams equal at 0-0.

Imagine Melbourne dick us now. Imagine we dick Melbourne. Will fans of the losing team be satisfied that that was a fair outcome in a normal, professional sporting environment? Or will we feel frustrated that the game was already fairly compromised given the announcement?

What if Nic does his ACL (which would likely end his career) in a rushed Round 1 for a season that ultimately may be cancelled?

This isn’t a freak occurrence impacting the season - nobody was blindsided by this.

The season doesn’t have an asterisk on it just yet, but the round 1 results certainly do, and that was so needless. They had a free pass right there and refused to take it because what if some Americans with nothing else to do watch footy?

Feeling pretty uneasy, as Australia is now doing a lot more to slow the virus than here in Japan.

People here are relaxed and going out as normal, the city streets and shops are busy with locals despite being devoid of foreign tourists. All the school graduation ceremonies went ahead despite the supposed closure of schools, and Abe has confirmed they will reopen again after the spring holidays. Airports are still open as normal to many countries. They can put up as many "cough etiquette" signs around the cherry blossoms as they like, people will still be going out in hordes over the next few weeks.

Yet the growth remains slow, and the hospitals are not creaking under the weight of bed demand. Is it an usually long calm before the storm, or have the officials done enough?

Ah well, nearly time to crack open a Suntory Premium Malts and stop worrying for a couple of hours. Could be the only footy we get all year!

Proof is in the pudding Japan's numbers are putting the rest of the Western World to shame. Must be doing something right.

Well I haven't commented in here about this but I will say hopefully we get some play but probably the best decision to ensure this virus is stopped in its tracks from spreading.

The positive I can see is if rioli is suspended for a year it won't have much impact of we don't get many games in this year.

Proof is in the pudding Japan's numbers are putting the rest of the Western World to shame. Must be doing something right.
Well they are not testing even close to the amount they could be, only testing those with a possible link to another country or an established outbreak (the Osaka live houses etc.). So low numbers are to be expected from low testing numbers, "the pudding" may not in fact reflect reality.

Japan is an incredibly stable country with a very obedient population, but it can be notorious for changing slowly and doggedly sticking to old ways. There are a lot of old people here, like Italy. I remain concerned. I hope they are doing it right, but it is far from the forced closures & quarantine used in other countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I’m going unnecessarily hard but it was the most predictable situation on earth and they’ve fumbled it.

I’ve got group chats where we tried to predict when the season would be suspended, and the LATEST guess was after the completion of round 1.

Everyone saw this coming. It’s such a needless thing, to play one game of football then take months off before the next one? They had such a free pass with all teams equal at 0-0.

Imagine Melbourne dick us now. Imagine we dick Melbourne. Will fans of the losing team be satisfied that that was a fair outcome in a normal, professional sporting environment? Or will we feel frustrated that the game was already fairly compromised given the announcement?

What if Nic does his ACL (which would likely end his career) in a rushed Round 1 for a season that ultimately may be cancelled?

This isn’t a freak occurrence impacting the season - nobody was blindsided by this.

The season doesn’t have an asterisk on it just yet, but the round 1 results certainly do, and that was so needless. They had a free pass right there and refused to take it because what if some Americans with nothing else to do watch footy?

C’mon Badge, no one died. 9 fairly meaningless matches were (will be) played, and then the season came to an abrupt halt.

There are bigger things to be worried about at the moment, than whether we should or shouldn’t have got a round of footy in.

If i was Kruezer, Id be feeling preety upset now

C’mon Badge, no one died. 9 fairly meaningless matches were (will be) played, and then the season came to an abrupt halt.

There are bigger things to be worried about at the moment, than whether we should or shouldn’t have got a round of footy in.

There absolutely are, that’s fair.

Purely from a football perspective, this is a marvellous * up the likes of which will be hard to repeat. Egotistical, chasing dollars and no regard for the integrity of the season.

From a world perspective, who gives a s**t about football, which is the exact reason they didn’t even need to embark on this.

Are those infected more likely to do what they are told?

Also, don’t know why would you announce it when there’s literally a couple of hours (and one game) till the round is complete. Now neither us or the Dees are really going to give a s**t. I really don’t think a 5 or so hour delay on an announcement will make a lot of difference.. especially after you were incompetent in the first place letting the round go ahead.

Probably because teams like North, St Kilda, Melbourne and Bulldogs could legit go broke because of this.
I am legit worried about the AFLW future given my girls pathway at the moment

I feel ill

Certainly seems to help though.

Either way I am not sure why you are all so focused on Trump? Would of thought Spain's, Italy's and China's leaders would be in for more criticism since they are all doing a far worse job.

But I guess thats just a coincidence.

Yes you are.

The USA's trend line is pretty much par for the course with most of Europe. They will have similair mortality rates to the UK, France, etc. Italy's and Spain's are wildly out of control and China started this mess AND covered it up.

Yet here you are are worried about the US president. Why him in particular? Where is the criticism of the incompetance of Giuseppe Conte or complete underestimation of the crisis by Pedro Sánchez or the deceitfulness of Xi Jinping?

The US is on course to have more cases than any other country by Easter.

Europe, having acted belatedly, is now under lockdown of people movement - their curves will begin to flatten over the next two weeks.

China has already contained its outbreak, they are the proof that isolation measures are what is effective against this virus - the numbers in Hubei would have been over 9 million by now without the shutdown that was conducted.

The US however has done little apart from where county sherrifs or state governors have decided to take action themselves independently.

The overwhelming majority of people in that country are yet to undertake the extent of isolation that is required to contain COVID-19.

The largest economy on the planet is going to be offline for a significant amount of time, which will cause the greatest financial disruption globally since WWII.

Considering the inaction, lack of responsibility and pedalling of misinformation that has come from the current White House administration in regard to this pandemic, Trump should rightly be criticised for how it has been (mis)handled to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back