Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questioning popular opinion never was easy.

But it far more rewarding.

Plus living in fear of the masses is boring.

Trump's actually pretty unlucky that a crisis popped up on his watch that will ultimately be immune to perception.

I'm going to shut up now because this thread is really useful and I don't want to clog it up with contrarian bullshit that serves no actual purpose.

I work on the side in the pub entertainment industry, poker nights, quiz nights etc...

4 companies offer poker, which is absolutely the worst/best way to transmit disease if that was your aim. At least if 3 mates sit at the pub for a beer, we don't keep handing our coasters back and forth for three hours.

2 companies shut their doors last Tuesday, and the third a day later. The 4th, for mine the most reviled, continued running games until the pub closure on Sunday. With a bit of luck that has bbq'ed any reputation they had and when we come back there are 3 entities in the market and not 4.

The shift in attitudes from people being mad that poker was going away, to mocking the players and operators of the last game, gives me a little bit of hope that the perception of the disease has changed in the last 7 days, and will do over the next three weeks.

What pisses me off is that China won't face any sanctions for this. Zilch. Nada.

It's a viral pandemic, not an act of war.

Do you think people wanted to sanction the US for being the first country to report of an outbreak of flu in 1918?

I am not enjoying the amount of China-hate that is currently being circulated and regurgitated so eagerly by sections of our society when it is nothing but a dog whistle that is being called upon to distract from what has been a terrible response by many countries to this outbreak.

China could so very easily have been crushed by this virus - it affected them first when nobody knew it even existed. Ultimately doing something that had never before happened in history - stopping the movements of over 70 million people, contained it. If not for that effort, China would be on course for over 9 million cases by now and the house of cards that holds the second largest economy on the planet together would be falling apart.

The rest of the world had notice. The responsibility of the severity of the outbreaks in those countries lies with their respective leaderships and the actions they have taken leading up to where we are now. It doesn't lie with China.

Doubt it.

The Party must not been seen to be at any fault.

Be all swept under the carpet, the case numbers will continue to be fudged and the wet markets will reopen.

And this will 100% happen again.

Xi's spent the last few years of his reign purging rivals and lower-ranked officials for corruption so he can be seen to be "cleaning up" government. He will not hesitate to set a few more examples, particularly of low-ranking regional officials. It makes him look good. He would also be pissed at the idea that anyone would try to hide something from him, given the police state he's running, so if he doesn't want to publicise it, they'll just disappear. They seem to be putting a lot of eggs in the "America started it" propaganda basket, so that may be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't look like they've been getting much sleep.
None at all.

ScoMo has a meeting with the teachers I hear? He didn’t look comfortable, even if his words said differently.

Part of being PM means having to make tough calls in emergencies. Keeping the schools open may put teachers at risk, but closing them puts more people at risk and will have a bigger economic flow-on. Glad it's not my responsibility.

He's paying the price for the utterly appalling management of the bushdires etc here. His credibility is cooked on this stuff for now.
He seems pretty out of his league. Really not doing a good job of being clear, firm and assuring with these announcements either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back