Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another US person facing terrorism charges for deliberately coughing on stuff in a grocery store as a prank

To be fair, the police have to meet a quota, and terrorist organisations have had massive redundancies recently.

Think about it, their main targets - planes and large public gatherings, both basically stopped.

Bad time to be a terrorist right now.

What if the virus jump's to quokkas

Quokkas get the last laugh and rule the world as revenge for all the stupid selfies they have to take.
As in, the virus jumps to them but also mutates into something like the T-virus, giving them all super strength & a thirst for blood? And the ability to swim of course, setting up a great Rotto channel swim scene.

Could be a Perth version of Black Sheep. Now is the time to write these kind of scripts I guess, I hear the BBC is already seeking scripts for stories about isolation.

Yes but only for a short period of time as its not sustainable, there should be a serious plan to get the economy kick started again as soon as practicably possible once the worst is behind us.

Again don't disagree, but if we go hard now for a few weeks, we might get back on our feet earlier.

With regards to economy i work for a major shipping line, and at the moment we are having to leave stuff behind in China, as we do not have enough space for all the cargo, so they are most certainly starting to get back on their feet economically, i'm not buying the whole idea that hard restrictions will see us out of action for 6 months, China is starting to get going after 3 months.

Lessons learned that should never really have needed to be learned since it was kind of obvious what would happen. In any group of people there is always a decent sized portion of them who won't do the right thing unless forced to.
Yeah that’s whats annoying about this. The leaders, not just Australian, just assumed the entire population would listen and set their rules based on false hope. That sounds all well and good but out of millions of people youll never get them all unanimously agreeing to do/follow the same thing, with anything in life, not just a virus outbreak.

There will always be people that think it doesn’t apply to them and on top of that you’ll get the people that blatantly do the opposite, these people pulling pranks for example. Only takes a handful of these types to ruin the whole thing. That’s where governments missed a trick, trusting their population.

I found another copy which also links to a twitter thread by a biologist refuting the article if you're interested in reading that.

Short version is the article was terrible and the author made lots of rookie errors.

Rebuttal thread is here if anyone wants to read:

Author of rebuttal thread only got half done before the article was pulled by Medium.

He does have some counter points. Although it is some padding there. He seems to take a fair few cases of 'don't like using that word' which for most people didn't really make any difference.

He also goes into defence of the Imperial College model. I can see why since predictions have gone from 500k deaths to 20k.

I got into an argument with someone on the MB claiming his doctor friend said modelling predictions 1 million cases in Australia by the end of April.

He does have some counter points. Although it is some padding there. He seems to take a fair few cases of 'don't like using that word' which for most people didn't really make any difference.

He also goes into defence of the Imperial College model. I can see why since predictions have gone from 500k deaths to 20k.

Got a link for that last part?

Again don't disagree, but if we go hard now for a few weeks, we might get back on our feet earlier.

With regards to economy i work for a major shipping line, and at the moment we are having to leave stuff behind in China, as we do not have enough space for all the cargo, so they are most certainly starting to get back on their feet economically, i'm not buying the whole idea that hard restrictions will see us out of action for 6 months, China is starting to get going after 3 months.
The problem is we just know if these measure, while probably necessary, will work and for how long. This is a great experiment though. But we must have an eye on getting people back to work asap. I did hear one idea about those that have recovered from COVID starting to work again if they can, but we wont see large numbers of those for a while. I think what we will do after this is have a rethink of our just-in-time supply chains and offshoring of core industries. Maybe we should start opening/promoting manufacturing industries to set up shop in Australia like phama (we import most of our antibiotics from China who hoarded it) and medical tech etc. Good for Australian jobs and for our national security.

The problem is we just know if these measure, while probably necessary, will work and for how long. This is a great experiment though. But we must have an eye on getting people back to work asap. I did hear one idea about those that have recovered from COVID starting to work again if they can, but we wont see large numbers of those for a while. I think what we will do after this is have a rethink of our just-in-time supply chains and offshoring of core industries. Maybe we should start opening/promoting manufacturing industries to set up shop in Australia like phama (we import most of our antibiotics from China who hoarded it) and medical tech etc. Good for Australian jobs and for our national security.

That offshoring is a big issue. Face mask production is primarily in China. Even foreigned owned companies there (3M) had all their production diverted to the Chinese domestic market.

Ta. UK Deaths is the 20k figure from the article for those playing at home. UK had 463 deaths in the latest WHO sitrep, which tends to be about a day behind. Will be interesting to see how that prediction holds up. It's now two days old (the prediction) and this stuff just moves so fast.

Here's a short twitter thread from the scientist quoted in the article clarifying a few things:

Essentially the 500k figure was modelling based on UK doing nothing, and 20k is modelling based on the strong enforced social distancing they've now implemented. No revising of figures has been done.

You're not the one stuffing up all the drawings I price up from are ya? 😂

Construction is supposedly deemed essential so I think everyone is trying to keep it going as long as they can.

That’s what I do. I also include in the spec that the builder needs to provide a carton of beer to the architect before PC is issued

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad time to be a terrorist right now.

No it's a bad time to be a dickhead who can't read a room and thinks it's funny to cough/lick on people and things when we are in the midst of a pandemic.

Maybe just caring citizens trying to support their local small businesses like I am with my local cafes?
Oh I know, I know, you just feel for them so much...like that beautiful slim asian girl down at the local massage parlour, she looked so sad with a drop in trade, so I went down there and had a massage just to help her out, and then I didn't need to but I let her give me a happy ending just so I could give her an extra bonus...we do what we can!

Here's a short twitter thread from the scientist quoted in the article clarifying a few things:

Essentially the 500k figure was modelling based on UK doing nothing, and 20k is modelling based on the strong enforced social distancing they've now implemented. No revising of figures has been done.

Its also interesting when he said:

Experts say that could take 12 to 18 months and Ferguson acknowledged it was impractical to keep the UK in lockdown for so long, especially because of the impact on the economy. “We’ll be paying for this year for decades to come,” he said.

The UK government is aiming to relax restrictions on people’s movements only when the country has the ability to test more people for the virus, said Ferguson.

Yet Trump says the cure can't be worse then diesese and that they will review some lockdown procedures soon he is the greatest fool on Earth.

Stealing Biggie's thunder:

Increase in recovered is getting good.

As of right now its a 12.9% increase from yesterday (midnight total). Hopefully there is no new large increases.

Yet the news stories never mention the recovered, or if they do they add it on as an afterthought in closing. Always trying to sensationalise the increasing numbers, which, don’t get me wrong, are concerning still, but they aren’t exactly out of control as of right now.. which is what the news should be reporting, current events. Reporting on what “might” happen is just making it worse

Oh I know, I know, you just feel for them so much...like that beautiful slim asian girl down at the local massage parlour, she looked so sad with a drop in trade, so I went down there and had a massage just to help her out, and then I didn't need to but I let her give me a happy ending just so I could give her an extra bonus...we do what we can!
#CommunitySpirit Well done.
If only they had offered full body soap washes as part of the service they might have been able to stay open

Its also interesting when he said:

Yet Trump says the cure can't be worse then diesese and that they will review some lockdown procedures soon he is the greatest fool on Earth.

While this will be my last post for today about Trump, he did he wanted things unlocked by Easter, and his people have since clarified about reviewing things. The man is definitely a great fool, but I suspect you'll never see that. That's cool. Each to their own.

Yet the news stories never mention the recovered, or if they do they add it on as an afterthought in closing. Always trying to sensationalise the increasing numbers, which, don’t get me wrong, are concerning still, but they aren’t exactly out of control as of right now.. which is what the news should be reporting, current events. Reporting on what “might” happen is just making it worse

In anything other Victoria seems to be putting up recovered numbers in any amount. NSW is sloppy as all hell to the surprise of no one.

#CommunitySpirit Well done.
If only they had offered full body soap washes as part of the service they might have been able to stay open
That's right, needs to be foaming soap however, could even stretch it out to 1-2 hour soap ups with a few girls just to be totally philanthropic and spread the funding around?!
How far do you reckon we could run with this, here?
Are we at risk of losing track of the main thread?
Does it matter? :D

Stealing Biggie's thunder:

Increase in recovered is getting good.

As of right now its a 12.9% increase from yesterday (midnight total). Hopefully there is no new large increases.

Appreciate

WFH allowed me to go to ALDI on my lunch break and top up the meats without battling Karen and her goons tomorrow morning. No diced chicken breast was annoying but other than that all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back