News Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm currently stuck in an apartment with military rolling around stopping people from even going for a walk.

Here in Malaysia, we seem to be a couple weeks ahead of Australia in terms of government action.

That's right, you aren't even allowed to go out for regular exercise here. It is total 'stay home'.

If that isn't enough skin in the game for you, I also have elderly family members back in Aus.

Apparently they are not supposed to be visited by their own family any more.

Isolation sucks, especially for old people. How can any sane man think this is all okay and above board?
Oh don't get me wrong, it's messed up on a lot of levels. I think most of us value freedom and don't like the idea of being told what to do by government.

But what's the alternative? If we consider ourselves a civil society we can't just casually sacrifice lives because it's convenient. That's a very slippery slope into all sorts of problems.

I'm currently stuck in an apartment with military rolling around stopping people from even going for a walk.

Here in Malaysia, we seem to be a couple weeks ahead of Australia in terms of government action.

That's right, you aren't even allowed to go out for regular exercise here. It is total 'stay home'.

If that isn't enough skin in the game for you, I also have elderly family members back in Aus.

Isolation sucks, especially for old people. How can any sane man think this is all okay and above board?
Because a sane man reads about what this is, how it acts, and how we can respond to stop uneccesary death from happening.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we consider ourselves a civil society we can't just casually sacrifice lives because it's convenient.
What do you think is going to happen to people as a result of losing businesses, losing jobs, and being kept indoors for months on end?

Be honest, do you think we'll see a spike in mental health issues and suicide?

If your honest answer is yes, and we both know it is, then re-read your comment and make sense of it for me.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What do you think is going to happen to people as a result of losing businesses, losing jobs, and being kept indoors for months on end?

Be honest, do you think we'll see a spike in mental health issues and suicide?

If your honest answer is yes, and we both know it is, then re-read your comment and make sense of for to me.
Of course.

I'm one of those business owners that is losing money. And by losing money I don't mean making less, I mean losing money.

And suicide is a shocking issue in Australia that I'm sure will be an unreported tragedy in all of this.

This is going to be ugly no matter what we do, isolation just seems the lesser of all of the evils right now. It's not like any of us regular citizens have a choice anyway.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is going to be ugly no matter what we do, isolation just seems the lesser of all of the evils right now.
If they told you upfront that the lockdown was going to last months (and even years), would you feel the same way?

Or if they told you upfront that (almost) everybody will eventually be banned from going outside, would you feel the same way?

You don't believe the Chinese in Taiwan have their own supply of face masks?

How can people fall for this kind of crap?

What has happened to people out there?

China was raiding the rest of the world for medical supplies, including face masks, after the virus broke out. The joke is they would have to fly the colours of Taiwan on their faces if they raided Taiwan for medical supplies. I am not sure how captain obvious I need to get into the geopolitical situation because it seems you have missed something...

Just so we are clear here, in Australia it is now considered cool or trendy to shame people for going to the beach?

And it is also cool and trendy to demand the government 'do something' to stop people going to the beach?

Don't get mad at me, I just want to be clear here, I've been outside of Australia for over a year, so I'm asking an innocent question.

Is this social media and MSM stuff I'm reading all fluff, or is this actually what is going on among the Australian public?

Are the regular people seriously calling for government bans on other people going to the ******* beach?

The media lens is haphazard. It's easy to take your camera to the beach, but no newshounds have the balls to film shoppers at ALDI or Woolies.

However, social media 'shame' is just a 2019 concept at this point. It's something to cry over on New Idea. Stop tubby-boohooing about who got 'shamed' s**t has got real. Nobody gives a f**k about your social media feelings cowboy. It's not about shaming people, it's about saving lives.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Are you abiding boy the rules and staying in lock down while you are over there not visiting any beaches. Obviously you are probably because you are to scared of the military over there. So would you be abiding by the lock down in Aust if you where here. By the sound of thing no. I reckon you should give it a go over there and try and visit a beach while you are in lock down over there since it is your civil right to do so see what happens.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
pick the odd one out?

AUSTRALIA
aust.png

UNITED KINGDOM
uk.png

ITALY
italy.png

CHINA
china.png

ONE OF THESE GRAPHS IS IS INCORRECT OR SOMETHINGS'S DODGY.

All Australians will be able to consult their GP over the phone and access new coronavirus-specific mental health support under a $1.1 billion package.

The Morrison government is expanding Medicare subsidies for telehealth to the entire population, giving more money to domestic violence and mental health support services, and providing $200 million to charities and community organisations who give emergency relief, such as food banks, and financial counselling.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says this latest round of spending aims to deal with the secondary effects of the health and economic crises the coronavirus is causing.

"As we battle coronavirus on both the health and economic fronts with significant support packages in place and more to come, I am very aware many Australians are understandably anxious, stressed and fearful about the impacts of coronavirus and what it brings," he said on Sunday.

"We will get through this crisis by staying together, by supporting each other and ensuring that no Australian, even though we have to be isolated, should have to go through this alone."

The bulk of the new money goes to the expansion of telehealth subsidies.

The $669 million will allow all Australians to consult their GP and other health practitioners by phone or using video-conferencing, such as FaceTime or Skype, meaning they can still access health services while quarantining or socially distancing themselves at home.

To encourage GP practices to stay open for people who still need face-to-face services, the bulk billing incentive will be doubled between now and the end of September.

Another $150 million will boost programs already in place to combat domestic violence.

This will include counselling, the 1800RESPECT domestic, family and sexual violence counselling service, Mensline Australia, the trafficked people program, and support for women and children experiencing violence to protect themselves to stay in a home of their choice when it is safe to do so.

Domestic violence services have warned about a likely spike in violence as people are forced indoors through the social distancing needed to stop the spread of the virus.

They pointed to increased domestic violence rates in China while it shut down.

And Google has told the government is it seeing a massive increase in people searching online for domestic violence help, spiking in the first week of March to the highest number of searches in five years.

To bolster mental health, a new dedicated coronavirus wellbeing support line will be set up by BeyondBlue, funded with $10 million from the federal government and $5 million from Medibank.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
I
Yes. People have lost their minds and are willing to go to extremes for peace of mind, when they are walking contradictions themselves and also participate in mass gatherings everyday unbeknownst to them.

Exhibit A: The supermarket.
Or as in Queensland yesterday, local government elections. Everybody in the community filing into the same room to vote. I can't believe that was permitted.

It is interesting what the government defines as essential when their own self interest is at stake.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
If they told you upfront that the lockdown was going to last months (and even years), would you feel the same way?

Or if they told you upfront that (almost) everybody will eventually be banned from going outside, would you feel the same way?
I understand where your coming from with some of your posts, but if you don't like the military rule, you got to get out of Malaysia. Australia is nothing like that. I still have been hardly effected by this (lucky enough to still have a job, don't go to pubs too much anymore). Australia is built for social distancing.

I
Or as in Queensland yesterday, local government elections. Everybody in the community filing into the same room to vote. I can't believe that was permitted.

It is interesting what the government defines as essential when their own self interest is at stake.
There was only a small amount of people allowed in a room and people had to bring their own pencils.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes. People have lost their minds and are willing to go to extremes for peace of mind, when they are walking contradictions themselves and also participate in mass gatherings everyday unbeknownst to them.

Exhibit A: The supermarket.

Billy, people have to go to the supermarket. The beach is a choice. No contradiction at all.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If we combine "contact with confirmed case", "under investigation" and "acquired in Australia" then we get tghe following tallies for these dates:

24/2: 26, 25/2: 27, 26/2: 27 and 27/2: 46

With the R0 2.5 applied we should see numbers around 65 on 4/3 and 115 on 8/3.

Late April/early May is the time to watch out to see if we have contained this thing or if people are going to die due to a lack of beds.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
One member of the cluster, who remained anonymous, confirmed she had been infected with the virus, but had self isolated.

'I've been cleared by the Health Department since last Friday,' she said.

'We are the responsible ones in this and people have nothing better to do than be nasty.

I'll tell you what, if we lived in Box Hill and I'd been to Bali no-one would care, would they?'

1585433820104.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back