News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, too, in the sense that we have at least one example of the herd immunity approach to compare with. Herd immunity always looked more risky and the early indications from Sweden and, to a lesser extent, UK, tend to suggest flatten-the-curve was the proper strategic choice.

If we didn't have such comparison, I think we'd all be second guessing the current policy. This might lead to "opening up" too early, with serious consequences - 2nd and 3rd waves ripping through.

On LG-H930 using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. I think we’re doing the right thing here. TBH I’m surprised by how obedient society has been.

Yeah a second wave could be real bad if the social distancing were lifted early. Also, wasn't it the second wave of Spanish flu that killed millions of people after mutating?

Right I'm a huge fan of yours Micky, but you are pushing the boundaries of decency by publishing stuff like that. And you know when I question someone around boundaries of decency... we've a problem :)

Apologies for not asking sooner mate but how’s the online dating going?

And you have studied Theory of Statistics? Yes/no.

Hehe, I love it when conversations delve into what have you studied when they have failed the basic logic test.

I have a reasonable understanding of stats but more from a financial perspective. I am no expert but I understand random testing of our entire population is a waste of resources when you have limited capacity to test. I am sure there are plenty of statistic experts around the world who are advising our pandemic experts, which is why there isn't any random sampling anyone outside of hotspots, anywhere in the world. But hey, I am sure everyone else could be wrong.

What is happening in Singapore and Japan ? the graphs of various countries "curves" i saw in todays Herald Sun, all seem to be flattening somewhat, but theirs look like just the opposite, apparently on the rise. (or am I reading it wrongly).

I think you might be right. I'm pretty sure I heard that Singapore, at least, had eased restrictions and the curve immediately went the wrong way. This is why the next steps are almost as critical as the first steps taken. Get it wrong now and especially as we enter Winter, we could still see things go the wrong way like so many Northern Hemisphere countries.

Then again Muttley it might just be my senility kicking in.

On a different tack, I emailed and cancelled some meetings I had planned for next Wednesday and one of the people, who lives in a very modern Retirement Village in Frankston South, replied to say that there had been a couple of cases there. She's okay but it just tells me at least, that we really don't know where it is all that well. I could have so easily just continued with my normal program, waltzed along on the day and maybe came in contact with it.

What is happening in Singapore and Japan ? the graphs of various countries "curves" i saw in todays Herald Sun, all seem to be flattening somewhat, but theirs look like just the opposite, apparently on the rise. (or am I reading it wrongly).

Try turning the paper up the right way? :p

I'll download the app for sure. But if I'm up to no good I'll leave my phone at home.

Phone tracking is already happening. I have been on a jury panel where the dude was convicted on his phone movements. This was in 2015.

Guilty people deserve to be punished for their crimes.

Me too. I was particularly interested to hear if the "filming" in the shower manouvre had been reciprocated.

Im sure his escapades are thread worthy in themselves
Or you could auction them for filming?

(tasteful filming, no playboy antics, appeal to biggest audience and make $)

I'll download the app for sure. But if I'm up to no good I'll leave my phone at home.

Phone tracking is already happening. I have been on a jury panel where the dude was convicted on his phone movements. This was in 2015.

Just curious, did they obtain his phone records or google map history?

Japan was similar to us in that their early infection numbers were largely from cruise ship passengers, they didn't place nation wide lockdowns so I assume those returning home to Japan have been slowly spreading the virus. Without the lockdowns the virus spreads even when you are social distancing, it is just not as rampant. They have only recently implemented nation wide lockdowns so they will probably have a bit of a spike over the next few weeks.

Singapore is heavily reliant on foreign workers, majority of their new cases are reported to be from migrant workers and their dormitories, their living conditions aren't ideal when it comes to pandemics.

That would be triangulation based on which tower the signal was bouncing off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile in Sweden:

Country population: 10m

Coronavirus cases: 13,216
Active cases: 11,266
Closed cases: 1,950 (550 recovered, 1400 dead)

Sweden is also cooking the books with deaths, if you have an underlying condition like cancer that isn't terminal and you have died because of the virus, they are putting the death down to the cancer instead of the virus. Their deaths are going to be way off.

People who don't understand history and politics will be all DER BUT WHAT DOES TRUMP HAVE TO DO WITH IT as usual, but this stuff is hugely concerning.

Governor of Washington response is scathing.

It is the kind of stuff you see in history book in the lead up to revolution/civil war/major civil disturbance.

The President calling for people - who are armed - to "rise up and liberate" their states is beyond astounding.

Plague always brings huge social and political change and we're seeing it here.

Meanwhile in Sweden:

Country population: 10m

Coronavirus cases: 13,216
Active cases: 11,266
Closed cases: 1,950 (550 recovered, 1400 dead)

Sweden is also cooking the books with deaths, if you have an underlying condition like cancer that isn't terminal and you have died because of the virus, they are putting the death down to the cancer instead of the virus. Their deaths are going to be way off.

From https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1587160140763.png

People who don't understand history and politics will be all DER BUT WHAT DOES TRUMP HAVE TO DO WITH IT as usual, but this stuff is hugely concerning.

Governor of Washington response is scathing.

It is the kind of stuff you see in history book in the lead up to revolution/civil war/major civil disturbance.

The President calling for people - who are armed - to "rise up and liberate" their states is beyond astounding.

Plague always brings huge social and political change and we're seeing it here.
Cal-xit!!!
might not be as stupid as it sounds

...........and then hand out trophies to the winners.

Viral infection factors are incredibly complex mate, and it's flawed logic to assign points to this or that politician based upon outcomes. This stuff is several levels of complexity beyond those clowns.

Viruses don't happen in vacuums, they happen in countries, populated by people who follow advice and decisions made by politicians.

Viruses may be complex but the way they spread is a lot simpler and the dynamics of it is understood well enough that plenty of experts around the world can work out what is gonna happen.

The decisions people with power made in response to this need to be judged on their merits and letting them avoid responsibility for their actions by saying "ohh its all too hard there are too many details."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back