News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in financial markets and have been trading from home 1 day a week for years now. I'm still on cable at 100mb/s, and generally don't notice any difference between home and the office. 1 second latency can potentially cost tens of thousands of dollars (to my employer) so speed is crucial for me, for that reason I've delayed switching to the NBN. I've been working from home full time for 2 weeks now, and honestly performance has held up fine. Telstra however keep calling me to put me on the NBN, but they won't tell me the speed and reliability and say they'll only know once its connected. Anyone have any thoughts on speed/reliability of NBN vs cable at 100mb/s, (I'm paying 80 bux a month for cable only no Foxtel etc.)…….obviously a long way off the footy topic. Sorry, but I figured some on here would be in the know. Cheers in advance.
Maybe look at something like Telstra DVN or dark fibre.
Especially if they offer ptp(precision time protocol)
I’m pretty sure the ASX moved across Time synchronised trading using metamakos switches, an Australian based start up. Basically every trade you do will be time stamped to the micro second leaving your house.

Last edited:
Cheers Ferbs, hope you are right, i was asked that very question out in the real world today, (while lining up at the Post Office to pay my Gas/Water/Electricity bills) by a very worried senior citizen and could not give an accurate answer to assure her she would be ok.
Hey mate, slightly off topic but probably a good time to setup online payment for your bills, it will help your isolation.

In English?

It is a common meme that goes around on Facebook and sometimes Twitter

Already I've seen claims that cops in numerous US states, Ireland, Victoria etc are "offering to test drugs for coronavirus" and that dumb crims are falling for it.

The only people falling for anything are boomers on social media.

It is a common meme that goes around on Facebook and sometimes Twitter

Already I've seen claims that cops in numerous US states, Ireland, Victoria etc are "offering to test drugs for coronavirus" and that dumb crims are falling for it.

The only people falling for anything are boomers on social media.
gotcha....yeah that would describe old mate!

I don't think pensioners get the increase.

"Crucially, although the Jobseeker Payment will still taper down according to the recipient’s earnings, the additional $550 coronavirus fortnightly supplement will be paid in full as long as the person remains eligible for the dole.

Already, about one million people receive payments that will make a person eligible for the extra $550 a fortnight: JobSeeker payment, Youth Allowance (Jobseeker), parenting payments, the farm household allowance and special benefit. But that figure can be expected to rise dramatically once the economic impact of the crisis takes hold.

From 27 April, jobseekers will be eligible for a maximum base rate of $1115.70 a fortnight, excluding rent assistant and family payments, compared with a current base rate of $565.70."

I work in financial markets and have been trading from home 1 day a week for years now. I'm still on cable at 100mb/s, and generally don't notice any difference between home and the office. 1 second latency can potentially cost tens of thousands of dollars (to my employer) so speed is crucial for me, for that reason I've delayed switching to the NBN. I've been working from home full time for 2 weeks now, and honestly performance has held up fine. Telstra however keep calling me to put me on the NBN, but they won't tell me the speed and reliability and say they'll only know once its connected. Anyone have any thoughts on speed/reliability of NBN vs cable at 100mb/s, (I'm paying 80 bux a month for cable only no Foxtel etc.)…….obviously a long way off the footy topic. Sorry, but I figured some on here would be in the know. Cheers in advance.
I'm not in the know, but I can tell you that from our experience the issue wasn't how nbn performed once we had it, it was the changeover - the months it took to get it installed and running properly.

I know why they give these things to pensioners from a political point of view, but they are the main ones whose financial circumstances don't actually change from the shutdown. They will end up being a long way ahead.
Yeah I'm miles ahead.

The current $550 a week for being sole fulltime carer for an invalid 85year old woman has me already killing it.

******* rolling in clover now

Yeah I'm miles ahead.

The current $550 a week for being sole fulltime carer for an invalid 85year old woman has me already killing it.

******* rolling in clover now

Grogg you deserve more mate :thumbsu:

Mate, if you're getting 100mb/s at $80 a month, I would be staying put and not tempting fate. Computers, browsers, devices etc can only process so quickly so I would be surprised if you even noticed another bump in speed

FWIW, I have NBN at work and home. Get upwards of 100 at work and around 45 at home and they both 'feel' the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you don’t think there is a link between disease spread and the inhumane treatment of animals for food?

Yep, of course there is. Is it something limited to China? No.

My missus just got this via someone who works at Royal Brisbane Hospital. Its an internal email that they are sharing.

Virus Detection.

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a common cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically fist installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs on the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanying but there is a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning. Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperstures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly onto the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water the virus can pass into the trachea, and from there to the lings where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes near us stay 20 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus to fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, ribbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimise the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

Not everything in that fits with everything I have heard but its sposed to be an official internal email.

Hope it helps. (Much of this stuff I was doing anyway.)

My missus just got this via someone who works at Royal Brisbane Hospital. Its an internal email that they are sharing.

Virus Detection.

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a common cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically fist installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs on the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanying but there is a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning. Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperstures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly onto the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water the virus can pass into the trachea, and from there to the lings where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes near us stay 20 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus to fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, ribbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimise the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

Not everything in that fits with everything I have heard but its sposed to be an official internal email.

Hope it helps. (Much of this stuff I was doing anyway.)

I've seen it doing the rounds.

Not true.

Remember how nobody could eat British beef for decades, because it gave people Mad Cow disease?

I do and obviously Latham and his mates all got stuck in and ate the mad cow beef. They survived but their brains ended up being fried. Only way I can explain it anyway.

Mate, if you're getting 100mb/s at $80 a month, I would be staying put and not tempting fate. Computers, browsers, devices etc can only process so quickly so I would be surprised if you even noticed another bump in speed

FWIW, I have NBN at work and home. Get upwards of 100 at work and around 45 at home and they both 'feel' the same

Thanks mate, and yes I am putting it of as long as possible, but of course they are switching off the cable Feb next year.

My boss has a holiday home in Byron. He was saying the local cops have offered to have people's stash tested for covid 19 prior to their consumption. Apparently loads of gullible people turned up to the cop shop with bags of meth.
Byron cops would have only kept the coke for themselves...

My small office has just sent people to work from home and we asked everyone to do a speed test on their home internet. The 4 people using NBN had latencies of 10, 11, 13 and 31ms. (The Telstra user had the 13ms.) One person on cable had 10ms latency. Their dl speed was better than any of the NBN users but ul was worse than any of them by a fair margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back