News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife’s auntie through marriage is an Indonesian lady and after leaving her husband and 5 kids here and returning to Indonesia because of religion died yesterday.
The doctor from Australia she used to go to at the request of her family was able to get the medical records which showed severe respiratory illness as a contributing factor among other symptoms of Caronavirus.

They will never know if it was because no autopsy was performed and she was cremated the same day because of how scared they are of this thing.

That country is rooted with this thing.

Sorry to hear,

Always wondered though, with developing nations, are we going to get accurate figures?

I know people have s**t on how dumb millennials are, but holy s**t... Tik Tok Gen Z has said hold my energy drink.

"Pfister, of Warrenton, has been charged by Warren County prosecutors with making a terrorist threat in the second degree. He was arrested Monday at a residence in Warrenton after the March 11 incident at the Walmart, Lt. Justin Unger told The Post."

lol that is a 5 year jail term on that charge... What are you in for? Liking deodorant at the supermarket. You would just ask for isolation off the bat, you are going to get your head punched in every day.

Relax, friend. I want to know why we were shown all of these videos of people collapsing in the street in China when we don't see this in our day to day lives even though coronavirus is here now and thousands of people have already tested positive for it. Were those videos fake? Why would they lie about that? I don't get it.

Indeed.

Here's another one for your reading "pleasure".

Cyber-Attack Potentially Slows Down Development of Coronavirus Vaccine
2 days ago
2 Min Read

clinical-trials-990x660.jpg

A medical research company scheduled to test a potential vaccine for the Covid-19 Coronavirus has been hit with ransomware by Maze Team, the very hacking group that, just last week pledged to stop interfering with entities combating the Coronavirus pandemic.
Maze Team has infected computer systems of Hammersmith Medicines Research (HMR), “publishing personal details of thousands of former patients after the company declined to pay a ransom,” Bill Goodwin reported for ComputerWeekly.com.
HMR is known to have carried out tests to develop the Ebola vaccine and drugs to treat Alzheimer’s disease. It also regularly performs early clinical trials of drugs and vaccines.
Up until last week, it was seeking a cure for the agonizing Coronavirus pandemic. That was, until its systems suddenly froze, infected with ransomware – a form of malware that scrambles data on computer systems and doesn’t restore it until ransom is paid to those commanding the attack.
“HMR said that IT staff discovered a ‘severe attack’ in progress on Saturday 14 March, but were able to halt it and restore its computer systems and email by the end of the day,” Goodwin reports.
“We repelled [the attack] and quickly restored all our functions. There was no downtime,” said Malcolm Boyce, managing and clinical director and doctor at HMR.
Fortunately, the company was able to restore its data – likely from backups secluded from Internet cables or adjacent systems. However, the situation is far from encouraging. While HMR managed to dodge this bullet, the healthcare sector in general is an easy target for cybercriminals, as it’s notoriously lacking in cybersecurity safeguards.
The incident reportedly prompted HMR to “beef up” its cyber defenses, with Boyce admitting his company lacked the funds to pay a ransom demand even it wanted to.
Unlike run-of-the-mill commercial ransomware, Maze authors have meticulously implemented a data theft mechanism to exfiltrate information from compromised systems. This information is used by Maze operatives as leverage, not only for for payment, but also to transform an operational issue into a fully-fledged data breach. Bitdefender this week is releasing a whitepaper exposing the shady techniques employed by Maze Team that allow it to perform obfuscation, evasion and exploitation of infrastructures with a large attack surface, such as government agencies, critical infrastructures and healthcare systems.

I'd be looking at pharma corporates.

My missus just got this via someone who works at Royal Brisbane Hospital. Its an internal email that they are sharing.

Virus Detection.

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a common cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically fist installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs on the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanying but there is a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning. Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperstures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly onto the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water the virus can pass into the trachea, and from there to the lings where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes near us stay 20 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus to fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel
The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, ribbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimise the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: cellphone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc

Not everything in that fits with everything I have heard but its sposed to be an official internal email.

Hope it helps. (Much of this stuff I was doing anyway.)

Mate, I appreciate any and all viral related content but this:

The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C).

........is most certainly incorrect.

This is also incorrect:

The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.

It's between 60-140nm and can get through N95 face masks.

Furthermore:

The Sun's UV rays kill the virus

The sterilization UV treatment is at a wavelength of 200-280nm, which does not get through the atmosphere to any great extent, thankfully, as we would all perish from cancers very quickly. However, I would conclude that direct solar exposure for a significant amount of time would eventually denature the viral proteins.

I would also consider this to be very doubtful:

The virus survives on our hands for about 10 minutes.

Notify your old man/missus/whoever and tell them to ignore this.

Last edited:

The time to act was actually a month ago, two months ago. … but we still believe there is opportunity,

At some point in the future something incredibly similar will be said by climate experts once we've breached some sort of tipping point there.

We are either wrong about climate change or we are ****ed. There is no way we can wind back the clock and get 7.7 billion people who want to live mostly out of poverty and using a massive amount of energy to fit into what was 300 million people who mostly lived in poverty who lived in the age of candle power.

Didn’t want to say much about religion as I wasn’t sure how it would go down on this forum let’s just say that she made her bed and she can lay in it.
in no way was my post intended to be disrespectful re the person concerned, just an observation on the greater issues with religion, and i don't mean to single out religion as there are plenty of other forms of indoctrination that are just as bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people have s**t on how dumb millennials are, but holy s**t... Tik Tok Gen Z has said hold my energy drink.

"Pfister, of Warrenton, has been charged by Warren County prosecutors with making a terrorist threat in the second degree. He was arrested Monday at a residence in Warrenton after the March 11 incident at the Walmart, Lt. Justin Unger told The Post."

lol that is a 5 year jail term on that charge... What are you in for? Liking deodorant at the supermarket. You would just ask for isolation off the bat, you are going to get your head punched in every day.

Assuming " Pfister " will find out in jail what his surname actually means.

Good luck with that 👍

He will be fine (ish), he will be a bitch for someone

Assuming " Pfister " will find out in jail what his surname actually means.

Good luck with that 👍
Pfister was booked into the Warren County jail without bond. He has previous convictions for burglary, theft of a firearm, drug possession and driving while intoxicated

Maybe he likes it

The encouraging aspects are the low positivity rates (which means a decent spread of testing across the community compared to higher rates), production being scaled up, changing the criteria to cast a wider testing net and overall
testing is being ramped up.

The USA has positivity rates of 50% plus, while we are hovering around 2%. They are barely scratching the surface in the USA.

Last edited:
Going to have to, respectively, disagree.

Wasn't ignored at all, it was seriously weighed up and considered. It was the lack of wider consensus and long-term sustainability in some of the measures that made Murphy put the wider lockdown on hold. Some of those measures were put in place anyway, i.e. skeleton schools (keep them open for critical worker kids only).

This is why I said he's letting them do what is in their best interests, which the PM has stated since the start of the mess.

Your last sentence is unproven media and internet gossip. Even if it is true, who gives a s**t. It is the state's resources, it's up to them to manage them dependent on their unique needs in an ever-evolving situation. I'm sure we'll progress to a lockdown sooner rather than later, but as Professor Kapur stated:

Professor Kapur said people could not be complacent and he was comfortable with a much stronger lockdown but it should also be recognised that Australia was showing low infection rates, high testing rates, low fatality rates and still relatively few cases from local community transition.

"We should in no way be complacent but I don't think we should throw stones at a system that has managed to achieve these statistics," he said.

By all means you are absolutely entitled to your view.

And OK, the paper was weighed up and considered and then rejected by some in the National Cabinet. It's no secret that the Vic Chief Medical Officer disagrees with Brendan Murphy - he's come out and said he's always supported stronger measures. And so have the premiers of Vic and NSW - they both made announcements prior to the Sunday National Cabinet Meeting and since.

And again, the PM isn't 'letting them' do anything, the Victorian and NSW governments don't need his permission - they determine if their schools remain open, how their hospitals and police forces operate. And they've acted on the basis of this report.

As for the "internet and media gossip" - policy making in practice is opaque, but speak to anyone at DHHS or anyone you know in Premiers or Education, the Vics wanted to go harder the week before. And they'll tell you it came to a head last Sunday.

Professor Kapur was being diplomatic - his comments are at odds with the recommendations. One of the issues is we still have so many half wits who are ignoring the advice - that's why there needs to be enforcement and penalties and that's why Vic police will be doing just that, through the air and on the ground. It is ramping up.

Recommendations

1.Australia without delay implements national stronger social distancing measures, more extensive banning of mass gatherings, school closure or class dismissal.

2. Australia urgently seeks mechanisms to enable a much-enhanced and coordinated regime of COVID-19testing without delay. This should include community testing to estimate the rates of disease in the population and this should guide further decision making.

3. Strengthen the messaging around the importance of people complying with all of the requirements ofisolation or quarantine and having increased compliance monitoring and support to allow them to do so(estimated that around 20-30 per cent will not comply).

4. Social distancing, especially when introduced vigorously across so many areas of life, will have significantcosts for individuals and groups in society. These consequences will impact unequally. Governments shouldplan for this and ensure flexible and supportive policy responses for all who may be disadvantaged

By all means you are absolutely entitled to your view.

And OK, the paper was weighed up and considered and then rejected by some in the National Cabinet. It's no secret that the Vic Chief Medical Officer disagrees with Brendan Murphy - he's come out and said he's always supported stronger measures. And so have the premiers of Vic and NSW - they both made announcements prior to the Sunday National Cabinet Meeting and since.

And again, the PM isn't 'letting them' do anything, the Victorian and NSW governments don't need his permission - they determine if their schools remain open, how their hospitals and police forces operate. And they've acted on the basis of this report.

As for the "internet and media gossip" - policy making in practice is opaque, but speak to anyone at DHHS or anyone you know in Premiers or Education, the Vics wanted to go harder the week before. And they'll tell you it came to a head last Sunday.

Professor Kapur was being diplomatic - his comments are at odds with the recommendations. One of the issues is we still have so many half wits who are ignoring the advice - that's why there needs to be enforcement and penalties and that's why Vic police will be doing just that, through the air and on the ground. It is ramping up.

Recommendations

1.Australia without delay implements national stronger social distancing measures, more extensive banning of mass gatherings, school closure or class dismissal.

2. Australia urgently seeks mechanisms to enable a much-enhanced and coordinated regime of COVID-19testing without delay. This should include community testing to estimate the rates of disease in the population and this should guide further decision making.

3. Strengthen the messaging around the importance of people complying with all of the requirements ofisolation or quarantine and having increased compliance monitoring and support to allow them to do so(estimated that around 20-30 per cent will not comply).

4. Social distancing, especially when introduced vigorously across so many areas of life, will have significantcosts for individuals and groups in society. These consequences will impact unequally. Governments shouldplan for this and ensure flexible and supportive policy responses for all who may be disadvantaged
By letting, I mean that the federals are not interfering with the states way of managing their efforts. I didn’t say he had sone mythical authority. The cabinet is mostly a consultative body.

That’s fine, I don’t really care about state-federal tiffs, as there will be always differences there. As I have said multiple times, in the end it doesn’t matter as a lot of it is up to the states and they have done what they think is in their best interests. I honestly feel like I’m repeating myself here.

I did take the time to read the letter in some detail, so thanks.

Lets see what happens and hope we don’t see more misery, as it is depressing as hell to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back