News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The above would mean a temporary health measure would become permanent solution. I find it strange some are advocating for it.

And like most laws, we shouldn’t be worried about the current climate, we should be thinking worse case scenario because we don’t know which leader is next.
If this goes on for 6 months or longer (until vaccine is ready) it would be an absolute disaster. And this virus isn't worth this type of hysteria IMHO.

Yeah...

Hey, wait a minute...!

The had a crack in 1933 and got knocked back.

The preamble to the constitution instructs the rest of the document that the states are united in one "indissoluble" commonwealth, so the only way to undo that is via a referendum, which requires others states agreement & cooperation.

Not only do I excel in all matters pertaining to football and science, I am also a decent arm chair constitutional lawyer.

Basically, it will never happen whilst Australia is in its current formation.

The preamble to the constitution instructs the rest of the document that the states are united in one "indissoluble" commonwealth, so the only way to undo that is via a referendum, which requires others states agreement & cooperation.

Not only do I excel in all matters pertaining to football and science, I am also a decent arm chair constitutional lawyer.

People have very short memories, WA needed the east for long stretches of our history

had a few times it comes up but never seems to go beyond "we should"

You not concerned with Community Transmissions or trying to see something positive in a sea of gloom?

I am definitely concerned about community transmissions but the overall numbers are on a clear downward trend. I would have a degree of confidence that the whole management of inbound travellers is not under solid control and whilst they may cause bumps in the overall data, they are not going to send our numbers back to the feared exponential growth projection.

Community infection is definitely the wildcard that could spike our numbers if any state loses control of an outbreak. I hope that we have learnt everything we can about how South Korea managed this process in terms of contact tracing, isolation etc, and that we have enough resources dedicated to it. Getting on top of community transmission is the key to life being able to return to normality.

If we got rid of them we could claim that AFL is a truly international game....

If this goes on for 6 months or longer (until vaccine is ready) it would be an absolute disaster. And this virus isn't worth this type of hysteria IMHO.
Have you taken a look at the USA, Spain, France, Italy....?

I'm not saying we should have hysteria but this needed a big response.

Have you taken a look at the USA, Spain, France, Italy....?

I'm not saying we should have hysteria but this needed a big response.
Mate, look at their normal seasonal monthly death rates prior to the virus. There is really not that much difference if any. Over 13,000 people a month die in Australia on average. Most of them of terminal illness or age related illness. Same groups of people who will die with Covid, not necessarily from it. FFS, let's not forget that. We are all going to die. I can guarantee that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, look at their normal seasonal monthly death rates prior to the virus. There is really not that much difference if any. Over 13,000 people a month die in Australia on average. Most of them of terminal illness or age related illness. Same groups of people who will die with Covid, not necessarily from it. FFS, let's not forget that. We are all going to die. I can guarantee that.
Not me I’m joining our new AI overloads and becoming sentient. Fairwell these old flesh and bones.

Cool perspective. I'd just as soon it wasn't me or any of my family dying now, alone, in hideous agony, when it is entirely avoidable. So far everyone who has downplayed this (people die all the time of things) has been proved horribly wrong.

Cool perspective. I'd just as soon it wasn't me or any of my family dying now, alone, in hideous agony, when it is entirely avoidable. So far everyone who has downplayed this (people die all the time of things) has been proved horribly wrong.
Entirely avoidable is a very questionable assertion. You do realize we won't be able to come of this without a vaccine, which is at best 12 months away. Likely longer. If you call the current situation workable - I disagree. There is only so much money we can print. And who has been proven wrong? It will take a while before anyone is proven right or wrong.

So I have to ask, if nearly every country, bar like Nicaragua and Brazil, are issuing lockdowns and responding to the threat of infection with these extreme measures, what do you know that they don't?

I definitely agree we are sailing headlong into an immense financial crisis and threw away the paddles but as each day goes on more and more nations holding onto normal life are making drastic changes, and it's not something that can be inferred from political lines- communist states, democracies, left and right leaning governing bodies are all responding the same way. Are they all wrong and overreacting?

And how can we know if they are overreacting anyway? If these measures achieve the goal of reducing hospital overload and controlling the virus then we will never really know if it was going too far because the whole planet is doing the same thing (even in my example of Brazil the favelas are being shut down by gangs forcing curfew and the local councilors are taking steps Bolsonaro won't).
So if the measures are successful you can still call it hysteria and nobody will be able to prove you wrong.

What actually makes you think it's going too far though?

Well, its started already...

Coronavirus crisis: WA Premier Mark McGowan declares State as its ‘own country’ with borders to close Sunday

Josh Zimmerman
The West Australian
Friday, 3 April 2020 2:00AM

Western Australia will become its “own country” and shut its borders to all overseas and interstate travellers from midnight on Sunday.
The new “hard border” will stop any international visitor or Eastern States resident from travelling to WA unless they first obtain specific exemptions that will only be granted on work, medical or compassionate grounds.
West Australians who are overseas will still be permitted to return home after Sunday but those currently visiting the Eastern States will also require an exemption to return home if they do not arrive before the end of the weekend.

Declaring “isolation is now our best defence”, Premier Mark McGowan said the unprecedented step would prevent COVID-19 cases from creeping into WA from States such as NSW and Victoria that are grappling with larger outbreaks of the deadly virus.
“I want the message to be absolutely clear to any West Australian over east: If you are thinking of coming back to WA you need to come home now,” said Mr McGowan, watched intently by Treasurer Ben Wyatt.
“I cannot stress that enough. If you’re an Eastern Stater and thinking about visiting Western Australia, forget about it.
“We’ll be turning Western Australia into an island within an island, our own country.”
Mr McGowan said exemptions to the “hard border” were still being finalised but would include freight and essential workers such as those in health and emergency services.
West Australians forced to quarantine in hotels in the east of the country after returning from overseas will also be permitted to return home.
“There will also be exemptions for FIFO workers and their families (but) strict 14-day self-isolation measures will need to be followed when they first enter Western Australia,” Mr McGowan said, adding some Eastern States resources sector workers and their loved ones would temporarily relocate to WA.

WA Police have established a hotline (13 26 84) to help answer the questions of people unsure if they are permitted to travel west, as well as queries related to travel between the State’s regions, which was banned for non-essential purposes earlier this week.
Police Commissioner Chris Dawson said airlines would be required to confirm passengers were permitted to travel to WA before letting them board flights.
“If you board for instance in Sydney, and you are not a West Australian, and you don’t have a legitimate reason to come here, we are saying ... don’t board them,” he said.
“Don’t board them from an East Coast city ... if you do bring them, we’ll be asking you to take them straight back.”
Further details on the implementation of the new border rules will be released in coming days but Mr McGowan flagged travellers would be required to apply for an exemption prior to their departure.
“What we’re saying is don’t get on the plane over east and come here unless you have the exemption in the first place,” the Premier said.
“If you get here and don’t meet the exemption, you’ll be put on a plane and flown back.”
Some western Australian whack jobs have been wanting this for years.

Cue the secessionists coming out...

I'm sorry but that is a seriously stupid and ignorant opinion.

In a bad seasonal flu season, the mortality rate is 0.02%. Covid19 is currently running at 5% globally and even in the country that hs managed things the best, South Korea, it is 1.7%. So in the very best outcome, this is 8 to 9 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. Hospital systems in those places are being completely overwhelmed because the hospitalisation rate is up to 20% versus 1% for the seasonal flu. This is all happening despite these places being on complete lockdown over the past 2 to 4 weeks, and they are not close to being out the other side yet. This is nothing like the seasonal f#*@ing flu.

We are all going to die but I would prefer that the people care about don't die because they can't breathe and are overwhelmed by fever.

So I have to ask, if nearly every country, bar like Nicaragua and Brazil, are issuing lockdowns and responding to the threat of infection with these extreme measures, what do you know that they don't?

I definitely agree we are sailing headlong into an immense financial crisis and threw away the paddles but as each day goes on more and more nations holding onto normal life are making drastic changes, and it's not something that can be inferred from political lines- communist states, democracies, left and right leaning governing bodies are all responding the same way. Are they all wrong and overreacting?

And how can we know if they are overreacting anyway? If these measures achieve the goal of reducing hospital overload and controlling the virus then we will never really know if it was going too far because the whole planet is doing the same thing (even in my example of Brazil the favelas are being shut down by gangs forcing curfew and the local councilors are taking steps Bolsonaro won't).
So if the measures are successful you can still call it hysteria and nobody will be able to prove you wrong.

It's not what I know, that they don't. It's the fact that politicians are trying to cover their arse, and avoid any blame. When everyone is taking these measures, it's easy to follow suit, and if it all proves a huge overkill, everyone will say that they just did what everyone else was doing.

I'm sorry but that is a seriously stupid and ignorant opinion.

In a bad seasonal flu season, the mortality rate is 0.02%. Covid19 is currently running at 5% globally and even in the country that hs managed things the best, South Korea, it is 1.7%. So in the very best outcome, this is 8 to 9 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. Hospital systems in those places are being completely overwhelmed because the hospitalisation rate is up to 20% versus 1% for the seasonal flu. This is all happening despite these places being on complete lockdown over the past 2 to 4 weeks, and they are not close to being out the other side yet. This is nothing like the seasonal f#*@ing flu.

We are all going to die but I would prefer that the people care about don't die because they can't breathe and are overwhelmed by fever.
You can't establish the mortality rate without knowing correct numbers of infected, which currently are way off.
And you also need to know the co-morbidity numbers, which are hard to tell on the go.

In other words the stats can be massaged to show whatever you want them to.

Currently we have 24 deaths and 5,500 infections. That's 0.4% death rate.
And the real number of infections is much higher than that, so death rate is even smaller.

Contact tracing and identification microchips are permanent solutions.. that is going way to far.

Last edited:
You can't establish the mortality rate without knowing correct numbers of infected, which currently are way off.
And you also need to know the co-morbidity numbers, which are hard to tell on the go.

In other words the stats can be massaged to show whatever you want them to.

Currently we have 24 deaths and 5,500 infections. That's 0.4% death rate.
And the real number of infections is much higher than that, so death rate is even smaller.
That's more bullshit. How do you know our real infection rates are much higher? 98% of our tests are coming back negative so there is zero evidence for your claim. South Korea leads the world in testing per capita so you would imagine they are pretty close to confirmed infections equaling actual infections, and even with the flatest curve their death rate is 1.6% plus. Why does comorbidity matter?

What is your alternative policy prescription?

That's more bullshit. How do you know our real infection rates are much higher? 98% of our tests are coming back negative so there is zero evidence for your claim. South Korea leads the world in testing per capita so you would imagine they are pretty close to confirmed infections equaling actual infections, and even with the flatest curve their death rate is 1.6% plus. Why does comorbidity matter?

What is your alternative policy prescription?
How do I know? Simple logic mate. We are not testing anyone in the community. The testing still has some strict conditions, symptoms and overseas travel being mandatory. But once we start testing general community, it is only logical that we will find more cases.

Comorbidity matters, because it means the rest of the community wouldn't be at risk

It's not what I know, that they don't. It's the fact that politicians are trying to cover their arse, and avoid any blame. When everyone is taking these measures, it's easy to follow suit, and if it all proves a huge overkill, everyone will say that they just did what everyone else was doing.

That is right, it will be hard to make a choice you believe to be correct if everyone else is doing the opposite. Easy to follow the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back