News Coronavirus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am wasting my time, but maybe a look at these links might be worthwhile.

https://theconversation.com/modern-chiropractic-therapy-is-based-on-evidence-and-here-it-is-1884

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/chiropractic-care-for-pain-relief

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716373/

As for the use of the word charlatan, I seem to be seeing that word in this post of yours.

s that someone dies who could have been saved by a conventional treatment they refuse because they have come under the influence of a charlatan. With all due respect to your wife, many chiropractors are guilty of making outrageous and unproven claims for what their treatments can achieve...

Thanks for links, Horace. I definitely read them.

It appears that I did use the word charlatan but it certainly wasn't a direct reference to chiropractors. I was referring to alternative medicine practitioners and similar who get into the minds of desperate patients who should be receiving conventional treatment and convince them to pursue an alternative option. People like Belle Gibson who convinced many that she had cured her own cancer through diet. It transpired that she had never had cancer at all in the first place meaning her claims and advice were potentially deadly. My own cousin was persuaded to doubt conventional medicine to the point that he delayed treatment on what should have been treatable cancer until it was too late. He died during surgery. It is these people that spruik completely unproven cures for serious illnesses to desperate people whom I was referring to as charlatans.

Australia's ambassador to Indonesia is being evacuated based on medical advice

It comes as the spread of coronavirus in the country continues to surge. The Foreign Affairs Department has assessed the risk of coronavirus in Indonesia is now too high for diplomats regarded as most vulnerable.

It's understood Ambassador Gary Quinlan is regarded as a high risk for acute illness if he were to catch the virus. He's being relocated back home temporarily but will continue as ambassador from Canberra. Australia's consul in Bali has already returned for similar reasons.

The ABC has also learnt that an Australian man has died in Jakarta with symptoms of COVID-19, although he was not tested for the disease. At least one other Australian is known to have been severely ill.

The number of confirmed deaths in Indonesia has jumped to 280, with 3,293 cases. But a low rate of testing means the true number of deaths and cases is likely to be far higher. The number of cases in Indonesia is expected to peak around May.

Horace, hope the young bloke is going ok. I'm in a similar boat with OP Jr who is in the same line of work. My wife is a nurse and she has him on the same strict post-work protocol that she follows: he comes in to the house through the back door, places his clothes straight in the washing machine, and then gets into the shower. No contact with any of us until he is thoroughly clean and in house clothes.
Not trying to tell people what to do, and you might already be following something similar, but that's what our health workers are being recommended to practise in a bid to reduce the risk of spread at home as much as possible.

Many thanks OP. No we haven't been following that routine but noting that your wife is a nurse, we will take that advice and run with it. Much appreciated.

Hang on, I thought Singapore was one of the countries that had this disease as under control as any nation!

So, does anyone know where a "foreign worker" in Singapore is most likely from?

Singapore has set a daily Infections increase record today
It confirmed 287 new coronavirus infections on Thursday, taking the total in the city-state to 1,910, the health ministry said.

More than 200 of the new cases were linked to outbreaks in foreign worker dormitories. Singapore has quarantined thousands of workers in dormitories after they were linked to several cases of COVID-19.

Six people infected with the disease have died in Singapore and authorities are investigating the death of a seventh person who was also infected but had other complications.

Thank that great Australian left-arm spinner Michael 'Frothy' Beer that we're not in Bangers right now:

Booze is banned in Bangkok for 11 days

Sales of alcoholic beverages will be banned in Thailand’s capital Bangkok for an 11-day period starting Friday as part of the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19 infections, Associated Press reports. Bars and restaurants were ordered to stop onsite services last month.

Officials said the alcohol ban was necessary because people were flouting social distancing rules by holding drinking parties even as the number of coronavirus cases keeps rising. At least 11 other provinces have already ordered temporary bans on alcohol sales ahead of Thailand’s annual Songkran Lunar New Year festival from April 13-15, including the major tourist destination of Chiang Mai in the north.

Health officials on Thursday confirmed 54 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 2,423, with Bangkok accounting for about half. Nationwide, the death toll increased by two to 32.

Thanks for links, Horace. I definitely read them.

It appears that I did use the word charlatan but it certainly wasn't a direct reference to chiropractors. I was referring to alternative medicine practitioners and similar who get into the minds of desperate patients who should be receiving conventional treatment and convince them to pursue an alternative option. People like Belle Gibson who convinced many that she had cured her own cancer through diet. It transpired that she had never had cancer at all in the first place meaning her claims and advice were potentially deadly. My own cousin was persuaded to doubt conventional medicine to the point that he delayed treatment on what should have been treatable cancer until it was too late. He died during surgery. It is these people that spruik completely unproven cures for serious illnesses to desperate people whom I was referring to as charlatans.

I note your comments however one of the problems that allied health professionals encounter far too often, is lumping the actions of the type of people you have quoted in your post, in with properly qualified practitioners and adding in the word "charlatans". During their studies, their lecturers regularly counselled them about the prejudices that they would face in their day to day working lives, once they graduated. When I told her today about what has been posted here, she sighed and said "of course they would they would call us charlatans".

(And by the way, many of their lecturers were not lecturers specifically allied to Chiropractic but rather lecturers sourced from all of the branches of medicine.)

Prior to her commencing her course, this was not new to us, because we had heard the same from previous Chiropractors we had been to. They said that, after a while trying to defend their profession, they just gave up and instead drew motivation for their work from the many patients they saw on a regular basis.

Presently there are around 5000 registered Chiropractors in Australia, who manage over 20 million patient visits a year. Surely not all of these patients have got it wrong.

Clearly covid-19 is a medical condition that needs to be treated by highly trained people in the fields of epidemiology and immunology and the like. Allied health professionals cannot do that sort of work, but where they can play a vital part is in their approach to helping to promote the "wellness" of the human body. In the case of Chiropractic a well aligned body will may help better assist the immune system in fighting off any viral infection when it strikes.

Ms Horace also disputed the claim that there is no research to support the basis for Chiropractic and provided, some further links, posted below, along with a couple of other links that I think are useful in this context.

I think it is incumbent on all of us, to be respectful to and not make baseless and false claims about any profession that we do not have an intimate knowledge of.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/293...kHoHJwwwdvZj1nx49vMN6m8NowK1_11K7w1tJwXUSQK2g

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/310...ikwhmCnqsKS1FHnIDivSGV1yFXz2CV4jwam3Su0aN2qiQ

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/270...cLYanSC7_ceWSba94R4EZHYYuABz4NCile5k5ybZuXseo

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...1M0csktudzI5lsv0ta0fIYQFKe0WS8pghvnzGx5oMJDOc

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/281...gSRVCvtIe8aF4n09sE607Np3MPGhJsu8SU4VSIAfwHBjA

https://www.chiropracticboard.gov.au/About-the-Board/Statistics.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5217252/

Last edited:
Many thanks OP. No we haven't been following that routine but noting that your wife is a nurse, we will take that advice and run with it. Much appreciated.
It's good advice.

I'm going overkill on this (and you're probably well aware why as I've previously touched on my situation personally before).

I'm going a step further, where I don't bring anything into the house that hasn't first been given a wipe down with sterile wipes. Shopping that gets delivered goes straight into the garage where it gets the once over before being repacked into bags that I have brought from inside that haven't been used within the last few weeks. Any other items that get delivered are unpackaged first then cop the same treatment. Glove up when you do it, preferrably with disposables. If you can't get any of those, use standard rubber gloves and rewash them just the same as you do your hands before taking them off. Personally, I soak them in disinfectant as well.

Yes it's probably overkill, but when you're high risk or have a family member living under the same roof as yourself who is, then I'm going overkill all the way. Obviously this doesn't apply to the majority of people in the community, but I implore anybody who is high risk, to err on the side of caution.

And if you're going out into the community, get a mask on.

Massive Unit if you read this you might find some of this useful as well.

Stay safe, guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good advice.

I'm going overkill on this (and you're probably well aware why as I've previously touched on my situation personally before).

I'm going a step further, where I don't bring anything into the house that hasn't first been given a wipe down with sterile wipes. Shopping that gets delivered goes straight into the garage where it gets the once over before being repacked into bags that I have brought from inside that haven't been used within the last few weeks. Any other items that get delivered are unpackaged first then cop the same treatment. Glove up when you do it, preferrably with disposables. If you can't get any of those, use standard rubber gloves and rewash them just the same as you do your hands before taking them off. Personally, I soak them in disinfectant as well.

Yes it's probably overkill, but when you're high risk or have a family member living under the same roof as yourself who is, then I'm going overkill all the way. Obviously this doesn't apply to the majority of people in the community, but I implore anybody who is high risk, to err on the side of caution.

And if you're going out into the community, get a mask on.

Massive Unit if you read this you might some of this useful as well.

Stay safe, guys.

Excellent post Grogg. You too, stay safe. I sympathise strongly with your situation.

Excellent post Grogg. You too, stay safe. I sympathise strongly with your situation.
We'll be right Horrie.

Play it smart and we'll be right I reckon.

it's the North way ;) :thumbsu:

The great Republic of the United States is the richest and most advanced society to have ever existed.

What is bad about allied to them economically, militarily and influenced culturally?

Srs question.
I don’t mind being allied to them but like others I think philosophically we aren’t on the same page and you don’t need to spend that long over there to realize that. Culturally I would say ‘what is their culture’?

If you believe in and use chiropractors then that is fine.

I am not saying having your back out doesn't affect other parts of your body. There is no proof that it has anywhere near the impact as some chiropractors claim. I am saying that the entire body of scientific research on the subject has yet to find evidence that it actually works. I trust that the people who conduct scientific studies no what they are doing and account for things like how closely patients adhere to the program.

It seems my personal standards around expecting medical treatments to have conclusive proof of efficacy and safety is confronting to some people.
Out of interest what is your standard of conclusive proof for efficacy and safety in regards to medical treatment?

Hang on, I thought Singapore was one of the countries that had this disease as under control as any nation!

So, does anyone know where a "foreign worker" in Singapore is most likely from?

Singapore has set a daily Infections increase record today
It confirmed 287 new coronavirus infections on Thursday, taking the total in the city-state to 1,910, the health ministry said.

More than 200 of the new cases were linked to outbreaks in foreign worker dormitories. Singapore has quarantined thousands of workers in dormitories after they were linked to several cases of COVID-19.

Six people infected with the disease have died in Singapore and authorities are investigating the death of a seventh person who was also infected but had other complications.

iu

Probably more from India and Bangladesh than China but there would be a lot from China too.

Singapore only has a population of 5.6m and they have about 1.4m foreign workers, the majority (around 1m) of them being unskilled or semi-skilled and a third of that work in construction.

iu

Probably more from India and Bangladesh than China but there would be a lot from China too.

Singapore only has a population of 5.6m and they have about 1.4m foreign workers, the majority (around 1m) of them being unskilled or semi-skilled and a third of that work in construction.

Go down Orchid rd. on a Sunday. My god, MCG sized crowd of maids, literally. Their day off. Mostly Filipino & lndonesian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back