Discussion Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read
Please use this thread to discuss anything relating to the virus and how it affects membership, attendance, the club, the AFL, and more broadly the community.

Here is the 24/7 hotline in case you have any concerns for your own well-being or the well-being of people you know;
1800 020 080

Please visit the resources page for more information here;

Again, please keep anything CV related in here. Lets try and contain it to one thread :moustache:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, for you mate, I think the opposite could be the case if the season is scrapped: null and void and start in the same place next season. It's a minefield of course and would cause huge arguments. We will just need to see what transpires.
I’d have to disagree, over 3/4’s of the season has been played. I’ve seen teams promoted but none relegated mentioned a few times.

I’d have to disagree, over 3/4’s of the season has been played. I’ve seen teams promoted but none relegated mentioned a few times.
You could be right; we are in unknown territory now. Hopefully it doesn't all end up in court cases etc and the season can re-commence.

There is currently 200 cases in a country of 25 million people. If they are serious about limiting large crowd contact its really pretty reasonable that exposure will be very limited. Particularly to a group of people with much more restricted dealings with the general public in the first place
I heard peter brukner on the radio yesterday and he said there would hundreds more than what the official figures are. Also they do have families. Those families have friends and on and on it goes. Someone will get it sooner than later. How can they play without one club

First question. Will the season start. My answer is yes. Will it go 23 rounds. My answer is no. I will give it till round 2 or 3. The government are doing the right thing by slowing the virus down so the hospital system doesn’t fall apart but that means it will last longer and cases will be spread. I think that will mean various players or support staff will get it for most if not all of the season so I’m writing this season off. Who would have thought

Maybe they could play games behind closed doors and every time a player contracts the virus he is ruled out of competition for the entire season.

Become like a battle to the very end testing the immune systems and depth of the modern AFL club and player.

Once the number of remaining healthy players falls below 22 your team is eliminated from the competition.

Sam Alabakis to lift the premiership cup.

Maybe they could play games behind closed doors and every time a player contracts the virus he is ruled out of competition for the entire season.

Become like a battle to the very end testing the immune systems and depth of the modern AFL club and player.

Once the number of remaining healthy players falls below 22 your team is eliminated from the competition.

Sam Alabakis to lift the premiership cup.
Or we only get to play one round and whoever is on top after that round wins the flag. Round one is bigger than ever. Saints by 100

Italy was not normal 3 weeks ago.

Italy has had CV 19 since December. They noticed a spike in deaths and pneumonia cases, but wrongly put it down to seasonal flu.

Their cases were only "normal" 3 weeks ago as they were basically not testing and taking precautions. Hence the thousands actually infected and already dead were not showing up. Just as the Trump led USA was "normal"3 weeks ago but is actually in deep, deep trouble. Their whole testing program was botched and Trump has been a fool. He poor decisions will probably ultimately kill thousands unless the yonks get real serious and real quick. But I estimate that they are probably already at the stage of needing to mitigate as the containment opportunity has quite possibly been passed already.

Italy is a case study of what not to do.

China and South Korea both took off, but both clamped down hard.

The three countries provide clear evidence of what works and does not work.

To see the affect of containing or not containing read

Thanks for the link. Great resource

AFL clubs about to justify their not for profit status

It's going to bite the junior clubs too. I'm already pissed off with how much we have spent and I doubt the season plays. My son went back to footy so we bought new shorts x2, 2x socks, skins, a new mouth guard, $220 boots that he will grow out of by next year, around $300 for the season to play etc. The sponsors who paid up this year will want it free next year to make up for it etc. I don't mind donating it now, but in 3 months if I'm running low I'm not sure I'll be as generous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Approach seems to be play games, if a player tests positive then they'll have to suspend those clubs games, try to get as many games in as possible and hope too many don't get suspended, then play catch-up games when you can.

Does anyone have any idea how long this situation is meant to last? How long will the social-distancing policies be enacted for?

Been doing some reading up on the virus. Interestingly the Wuhan Institute of Virology (only biosafety level 4 lab in China) is just 20 kilometers away from the market where they believe it originated...

I truly hope they get a vaccine sorted asap. The football must go on!

Player getting infected isn’t a real issue, it is the spreading to the wider community in a rapid fashion and overwhelming medical capabilities. It really is the old and sick at serious risk. Very few clubs can afford for the season not to go ahead, neither can the AFL. All games behind closed door with infected players ruled out for a few weeks like an injury.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or we only get to play one round and whoever is on top after that round wins the flag. Round one is bigger than ever. Saints by 100

That’s happened every leap year this century. This year would just be a bit quicker.

Player getting infected isn’t a real issue, it is the spreading to the wider community in a rapid fashion and overwhelming medical capabilities. It really is the old and sick at serious risk. Very few clubs can afford for the season not to go ahead, neither can the AFL. All games behind closed door with infected players ruled out for a few weeks like an injury.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You do realise effected players are mixing with non effected players and from what ive read they then need to be quarantined. Once a player gets it I don't see how that side can play for at least a period.

The severity of the issue will revolve around the willingness of people to self isolate which is why the lack of a significant public education program is disturbing to say the least.

Average incubation period is less than a week and unlike China we won't enforce mandatory isolation.

China took very drastic measures and infection rate is now almost zero.

It's going to bite the junior clubs too. I'm already pissed off with how much we have spent and I doubt the season plays. My son went back to footy so we bought new shorts x2, 2x socks, skins, a new mouth guard, $220 boots that he will grow out of by next year, around $300 for the season to play etc. The sponsors who paid up this year will want it free next year to make up for it etc. I don't mind donating it now, but in 3 months if I'm running low I'm not sure I'll be as generous.

Its a small hit. Just don't drink takeaway coffee for a while. Ive spent 600 on MCC and $600 on AFL memberships for most likely one game, the GF last season. Ive written that off but I cant complain on $1200 when my super has probably dropped 100k in 3 weeks.

Right now it seems that those who thought the people stocking up on tinned food and dunny roll were crazy, are doing the right thing.

They were doing far from the right thing.

They were doing an extremely selfish bone headed thing that hurts the most vulnerable people in our community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The severity of the issue will revolve around the willingness of people to self isolate which is why the lack of a significant public education program is disturbing to say the least.

Average incubation period is less than a week and unlike China we won't enforce mandatory isolation.

China took very drastic measures and infection rate is now almost zero.
My guess is the government aiming to work its way down to a lockdown situation over the school holidays.

Im hoping work shuts down after all we are in the import export business
Happy to sit at home for a month paid
Id have enough food for at least 6 months so should be ok
Surely it's just a matter of time until we go into social lockdown, like China, Italy, Denmark as well now.

You'd hope that Scomo would realise after his good mate Mr Potato Head contracted it that just going about business as usual is a fruitless effort.

Surely it's just a matter of time until we go into social lockdown, like China, Italy, Denmark as well now.

You'd hope that Scomo would realise after his good mate Mr Potato Head contracted it that just going about business as usual is a fruitless effort.
If it goes that far they only have so long they will be able to go on. People's patience is a finite resource.
That resource started to be used yesterday footy behind closed doors. Once it runs out the middle finger will be given to authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back