Society/Culture Corporate virtue signalling. Don't fall for it.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

Their primary, and often only, concern is profit. There 'inclusive' statements are olive branches to a consumer market which no longer wants much to with regressive mutants.

Watching a giant corp labelled 'left' because of some tweet about gay marriage is falling to a brand of politics which wants identity politics to be litmus test. The tumblr left and Latham/Trump/Abbott right are in this category.

If people will vote for a candidate on something as meaninglessly insignificant as gender then they will definitely direct their spending towards products that can also have a simple, insignificant message.

Never underestimate how much people want to grandstand about how great they are, it's how I can get people to admit to horrible things and think they are making themselves look good. When you're offering a product that comes with a bonus of social virtue points, that cost nothing to produce, you're creating a point of difference - the only way it gets better is if these products come with an exclusive bumper sticker so you can tell everyone about it.

Humans love zero effort activism that makes them look good. There's a lot of money to make in that.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Their primary, and often only, concern is profit. There 'inclusive' statements are olive branches to a consumer market which no longer wants much to with regressive mutants.

Watching a giant corp labelled 'left' because of some tweet about gay marriage is falling to a brand of politics which wants identity politics to be litmus test. The tumblr left and Latham/Trump/Abbott right are in this category.

Gillette ad really got under your skin eh

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

You got a trifecta.

VicPark Bitter

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2016
Bottom of the Barrel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Adelaide

did you cut yourself with that disposable Gillette razor?

kudos to you SDS, you are one of the more elaborate trolls on Pigfooty

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Doesn't a boycott mean you've got to have been using it... and then stopped?

Which of you now boycotting, were using it before the ad?
I'm not boycotting anything. I don't care what companies have to say about anything in society. My post was in reference to recognising that ad campaigns like the Gillette one are all about the company and nothing to do with real problems in the world. It's PR, and IMHO everyone would be better off switching off the TV.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
did you cut yourself with that disposable Gillette razor?

kudos to you SDS, you are one of the more elaborate trolls on Pigfooty
Im not sure what your point was, perhaps you've misunderstood mine.

We should not look to businesses as our ethical compass. Chances are, they're about branding and massaging the market.

I'm not saying Gilette's message is wrong. Taken in isolation, it's a good representation of positive masculinity. But they didn't produce it for anything other than marketing reasons.

Do you disagree?

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
JBP: I'd rather have my corporations be greedy than virtuous. I think it's more trustworthy.
He has a point.

Also, he played the prankster older cousin on Family Ties.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Throw the AFL in as a face painted mutant *er

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread.

The virtue signalling Disneyfication of the AFL is a prime example.
Yeah you say that, but don't pretend you didn't enjoy "stop stealing office stationary" round or "ugly fruit is still ok" round as much as the rest of us.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yeah you say that, but don't pretend you didn't enjoy "stop stealing office stationary" round or "ugly fruit is still ok" round as much as the rest of us.

Wanna buy some cheap pens?

Last edited:
Back