andrewb94

All Australian
Feb 9, 2005
Tullamarine
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
A big month of boxing starts tomorrow at the Tomas & Mack centre in Vegas where for the 3rd time in 13 months Diego Corrales(40-3,33KOs) and Jose Luis Castillo (54-7-1, 47KOs) fight it out for the WBC lightweight belt.

Corrales won the first fight in what was one of the great all time fights, the second fight was controversial when Castillo who was 3 pounds over weight knocked out Diego with an awesome left hook.

Castillo is having weight problems yet again, but hopefully its sorted before the fight.

There is plenty of bad blood between these two and this is one of the great boxing trilogies of all time.

Castillo starting as a huge favourite at about 1.35 with Corrales at 3.00.

There is a huge fight on the undercard with Vic Darchinyan (25-0, 20KOs) vs Luis Maldonado (33-0, 25KOs) for the IBF Flyweight championship.

Expect to see some big punching Tomorrow:thumbsu:

Havent u heard? JLC didnt make weight...again!

Came it at 140.

Chance this fights not gonna happen.

as expected, the fight is off.

Showtime still running with Vic and Maldonado the main.

Oh well, Cotto-Malignaggi next week!!! The Garden's gonna be rockin!

Yes the fights off, only in boxing:rolleyes:

When I posted this morning, Castillo was over but the fight would have gone ahead if he could make 138, he had to lose 2 pounds in 2 hours but could only manage 1/2 pound.
Corrales could have still taken the fight but after last time he wasnt taking a chance.
"He (Diego Corrales) is not going to put his life at risk," said Shaw. "You saw what happened last time. We are not money hungry!" Castillo's promoter Bob Arum says he is "mortified and completely embarrassed."

Its an unbelievable situation:(

Castillo wil probably fight the winner of the Cotto vs Malinaggi, that looks like a good card at the garden, shame we are stuck with Tarver vs Hopkins:thumbsdown:

Yea, dunno about Castillo from now on. It really makes you wonder for how long he hasnt been able to make 135...he has had non title fights weighing in up to nearly 150. Not hard to find dodgey scales, especially when your promoter is Arum. Up until this year I had rated him the most underrated of the major fighters - one of the best p4p there is, but there are many question marks now. He will cop some sort of sanction for this.

Yea, Tarver-Hopkins could go down as the most boring fight in history. Both of them put me to sleep - I think Tarver will be too physically imposing and will win a decision. Hops has to significantly increase his work rate from his last few outings if he has any sort of chance.

Cotto-Malgnaggi is the fight for next week, and it is available! ;) I will watch em both, but the this one live. It could be a blowout for IMO the overrated Cotto, or he will lose a decision. If Paulie is anywhere near the real thing (totally untested) his style will be hell for Cotto, who hates guys who dont stand in front of him.

Not a bad month coming up with Taylor-Wright the week after, then a great little fight in Joel Julio vs. Carlos Quintana the next weekend on HBO BAD.

Can't believe Castillo came in 5 pounds over. Even against a dud like Reyes he didn't come in as much as 5 pounds over. He just didn't want any part of this fight IMO. Arguments could be made that he outgrew the lightweight division, but he still could have made at least 137 if he really wanted to. Fu kked up what would have been a great trilogy.

Hopkins-Tarver will prbably see each man throw 150 punches and land about 50 each. Tarver will win by a couple of points and then talk about how he had to be cautious because if he made one mistake Hopkins would have taken him out. Hopkins will claim that he can fight at this pace until he is 60 years old and has no intention of retirng. Not even going to bother watching it.

Cotto-Malignaggi, again, pass. Both guys are protected B-listers.

Wright-Taylor should be ok. I'll be backing Winky, but Taylor will likely come away with a close decision win.

JohnF said:
Cotto-Malignaggi, again, pass. Both guys are protected B-listers.

Both have been managed conservatively, but that is boxing these days.

Two undefeated prospects (I still rate Cotto a prospect) putting it all on the line before a big title shot? Boxing needs more of these matchups, which is why I will always support them. I dont care about talent, I just wanna see good matchups.

Julio-Quintana is another.

Quality fight between Taylor and Wright yesterday. I had Wright edging it 115-113 but had no problems with the draw. Just felt sorry for Winky after having so many close calls go against him (Simon, Vargas and now Taylor).

Didnt get a chance to go see that fight, sounds like it was a good one.
2 of the judges scorecards had Winky up by a point after 11 rounds, sounds like the 12th round cost him.
Winky didnt show up at the press conference either but he did say he didnt want a rematch and said he was screwed. "Christmas in June" was the quote of his manager.
HBO TV and ESPN scored a 114-114 draw.
Interesting to see where both go from here, this fight was hard to sell as it was (10,000 seats were empty).
The only really big fight either could make would be to face Calzaghe at 168, but that would be hard to make. I wouldnt be surprised to see a rematch only beacsue of a lack of options for either of them.

Next PPV to watch is Mosely vs Vargas II on July 16, and this is only happening because they have no other options either. Its a no win fight for Mosely, he dominated the first fight against Vargas its ridiculous having a rematch.

An interesting card of undefeated fighters this saturday with Calvin Brock vs Timur Ibragimov in a battle of undefeated heavyweights.
The undercard is a Welterweight title eliminator fight with Joel Julio (27-0,24KOs) vs Carlos Quintana (22-0,18Kos). Its a potential fight of the year, shame it hasnt got more coverage.

There will be big news soon about the future of Oscar De la Hoya, he either retires or has a mega fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr on Septmeber 16.

Another fight being made is Wladimir Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs on Nov 11 at Madison square garden.

andrewb94 said:
Didnt get a chance to go see that fight, sounds like it was a good one.
2 of the judges scorecards had Winky up by a point after 11 rounds, sounds like the 12th round cost him.
Winky didnt show up at the press conference either but he did say he didnt want a rematch and said he was screwed. "Christmas in June" was the quote of his manager.
HBO TV and ESPN scored a 114-114 draw.
Interesting to see where both go from here, this fight was hard to sell as it was (10,000 seats were empty).
The only really big fight either could make would be to face Calzaghe at 168, but that would be hard to make. I wouldnt be surprised to see a rematch only beacsue of a lack of options for either of them.

Next PPV to watch is Mosely vs Vargas II on July 16, and this is only happening because they have no other options either. Its a no win fight for Mosely, he dominated the first fight against Vargas its ridiculous having a rematch.

An interesting card of undefeated fighters this saturday with Calvin Brock vs Timur Ibragimov in a battle of undefeated heavyweights.
The undercard is a Welterweight title eliminator fight with Joel Julio (27-0,24KOs) vs Carlos Quintana (22-0,18Kos). Its a potential fight of the year, shame it hasnt got more coverage.

There will be big news soon about the future of Oscar De la Hoya, he either retires or has a mega fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr on Septmeber 16.

Another fight being made is Wladimir Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs on Nov 11 at Madison square garden.

Try and get a hold of the fight if you can andrew, quite decent by recent standards.

The 12th round could have gone either way really. Neither man did much, but I felt Wright pressed the action a little more and maybe landed a couple more shots. He ended the fight backing up in the last 30 seconds though, and that's where all the calls that he 'blew his chance' come from.

Winky was a bit of a sook about the whole thing but I don't hold it that much against him in light of the Simon and Vargas decisions going against him. Wright has had to do things the hard way, fighting all over the world in other guys' backyards with little fanfare or monetary compensation. He has earnt the right to get a close call go his way.

The fight didn't sell much, but I think that had soemthing to do with how they overpriced the tikets for the fight. But they aren't exactly household names anyway and they would struggle to fill arenas no matter how much tickets were.

I don't like Taylor's chances if he decides to move north to face Calzaghe. His one virtue is his size and strength, if he loses that advantage he gets outboxed I feel by Calzaghe. Wright of course is too small for Calzaghe, but he'd still put up a decent, if losing, effort. I'd like Wright to get a chance to kick DLH's a s s, he deserves a massive pay day, but I don't think DLH would want anything to do with him after yesterday's display. Like you say, he has his mind on a possible Mayweather fight anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back