Correct me if I am wrong.....

Remove this Banner Ad

but wasnt that just the worst game ever that we have won?

i am not saying we played badly or anything i was impressed, not amazed by impressed by our preformance. so y did i say it was a bad game?

it was horribly frustrating. the worst umpiring preformance ive seen in years. and not just melbourne games, any at all. the rivers out on the full decision and the 50 metre penalty against bruce summed up their ******** umpring preformance.

also i totally agree with Sheedy who says some rules need to be brought in to stop flooding. i have seen flooding before but today the bulldogs just took it 2 far. they play the most boring brand of football imaginable. there needs to be a full putting either a maximum amount of defenders allowed to be in defensive 50 or a minimum forwards that have to be in attacking 50. i actually look a picture with my phone of the bulldogs forward line that was quite often empty.

overall a decent win with some good preformances by the likes of Bruce n Green. great to see guys like bruce, yze, robbo and davey kickin goals when neitz aint.

what we needed. someone to tag johnson. his usual opponent bruce was 2 busy bein BOG so thats excusable but junior who was on him i think. n whelan when he went forward.

oh well hopefully the wizard cup can trial some anti flooding rules or even better, rodney eade realises that you can still win without playing an ugly style of football

n also afl needs to look at some of those umpiring decisions (even though they arnt going to ofcourse)

ok thats enough ranting on for one night, i think ive gotten enough out

Well we certainly showed up the flood. Few strange umpiring decisions but personally I never think we will have full consistent umpiring week in week out. Happy to take the four points.

I personally thought the umpiring wasn't too bad. I think there were a few ordinary decisions that could have gone either way, but that happens in every game really.... and always will.

It wasn't a horrible game. A very strange game played in surges. But that said, it won't be packaged and sent overseas either....

Anyway, congrats Dees. Definatly too good and if we had of kicked a couple more in the last quarter when we were 12 points down we woulda been really lucky to get that close. You're one of the only premiership contenders I wouldnt mind seeing win it so I hope you go all the way.

We were lucky the Dogs continually, across the four quarters, missed easy opportunities and botched entries inside fifty. That performance did NOT overly fill me with confidence, though I will say it's nice to see the rest of the side running riot in the goalkicking whilst Neitz does squat.

if we were accountable on cooney and johnson it would have been good but with heff out we were one tagger short. and we needed bruce up forward in an attacking position kicking goals, we couldnt afford to let him play as a defensive tagger.

well i didn't mind the game - we were playing in 32 Deg heat and we came out BOOMING. Getting a 56 point lead in the 2nd Q meant that we were running a whole lot harder then the others.

In the 4th Q the heat really took its toll and we allowed them back in the game. However a true sign of maturity of a team is the ability to steady the ship. Trav, Bruce, Davey, Brock and Whitey were just instrumental in getting the team to claim the game as won.

I had no problem with the game or our ability to beat the flood. So many games nowadays are overly defensive and have less than 40 scoring shots. One game with 73 scoring shots at least breaks the trend - I'd hate to see 8 games played each week with exactly the same style, that would be boring.

Good teams beat the flood by playing fast, play-on football at all costs and turning the game into 18 one-on-one contests. There is no need to legislate against it, it is a legitimate tactic and one that is not infallible.

There were some worrying signs on Saturday:
- Jamar's late withdrawal and Nicho's performance when put into the ruck shows the trouble we'll be in if White gets injured.

- The skipper did not move freely and relied on Cam Bruce as a decoy full-forward, leaving a small forward line that would have been better exploited by teams with larger defenders. Just 2.4 were kicked by players over 190cm (6'3") out of a total of 20.17. Great effort by Bruce (190cm) to kick 5.2 in a game that required him to take a totally different role from last week, but you'd hope he isn't going to be playing out of the goalsquare very often.

- We were out-run after half-time by a side that was playing its second game in five days, both of which were played in hot weather.

- Our tall defenders were beaten overhead repeatedly by smaller opponents in the second half, particularly Brad Johnson. Rivers has to track back and relieve pressure on whoever plays at full-back far too often for our good. By filling the hole between Ferguson/Nicholson and CHB, he leaves himself open to some big hits. He's tremendously courageous, but I worry that like last year he is going to end up buggered come the business end of the season.

Alternatively, there were some very good signs:

- We didn't even need Bruce to play in midfield and he was still BOG for the second week in a row. Now in his 6th season, his versatility is really beginning to show. Is he developing from a very good player into one of competition's elite? This next fortnight will show, he doesn't have a great track record in 'big' games and tends to go missing. I have a feeling that trend is about to change, not only because of his current form but also his desperation at second and third effort contests which has really improved.

- Our small forwards were prepared to crumb packs and harass opponents. Davey's display was one of his best, just went to show that he has more than good goal sense and a turn of pace. His desperation to keep the ball in our attacking 50 and his tackling skills are first rate. Leon Davis and Stephen Milne take note.

- Yze isn't fully fit and he still dominated.

We haven't been challenged yet. We won and have plenty of potential improvement so this week stands as our first real challenge. We'll benefit from Geelong having a six day turnaround following a loss at Subiaco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back