Competitions Correctly pick the Round 1 team - Two Roosistence posters now up for grabs - Competition closes tonight (9/3/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inspired by Choppy's gesture of generosity in the POTY thread, and with a view to adding some extra spice (and intellectual honesty) to the suggested Round 1 teams that people post, I make the following offer* to my learned BF colleagues......

Anyone correctly nails the 22 players that will start in the Round 1 side, I'll send you a prized (and very free) Roosistence poster.

If no-one gets all 22 right, next best wins (and so on).

To be clear, there can only be one winner here. I'm only parting with one of the suckers, so in the event that more than one person gets it right, it'll come down to whoever gets the greatest number of matches, position-wise, between their named side and the official Round 1 side.

Teams have to be posted between now and March 7th to be eligible. And obviously, only one side per person.

If you believe you've nailed it in some other thread and are interested in scoring the greatest poster ever made (and at zero cost!), then you'd best copy and paste the team you've previously posted across to this thread.

Ever wanted one of these majestic specimens but never got the chance? Here's your opportunity. Time to put your knowledge where your mouth is. Or something.

* Offer is open to NMFC members only.

5RG.gif

Last edited:

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Reserved for me. TOD you beauty!

B Hayden McKay McDonald
HB Ziebell Corr Atley
C Stephenson LDU Scott
HF Turner Walker Thomas
F Taylor Larkey Zurhaar
R Goldstein Cunnington Simpkin
I Tyson Powell Young Anderson
E Mahony, Bosenavulagi, Phillips

Presuming Dumont, Polec, Tarrant and Bonar aren't over their respective ailments and in Bonar's case not good enough at this stage given interrupted pre-season.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Cheers, guys. It can't possibly hope to compete with a classic like 'Guess how many jelly beans are in the giant glass jar', but I think it's still an endeavour that has some merit.

One of the aims here is to try to steer people towards thinking in a way that gives less weight to their own entrenched biases and hidden genders re player likes/dislikes, and focuses more on what posters honestly believe the coaches may consider and place value upon when selecting a NMFC Round 1 side. In simple terms, less 'this is the team I'd like to see', more 'this is the team I think will be picked'.

And by doing so, peeps have the chance to win something cool in the process. Not to mention the veritable tsunami of cache that will come with being the smartest person on this forum for five minutes.

Either way, there's a goodly few weeks of thinking time and track-watching that lie ahead - for obvious reasons, this is not really the sort of competition that you want to go too early on. If we get closer to the end of Feb and BF's patented goldfish-esque memory appears to be kicking in, I'll make sure that I bump this thread (in a manner not dissimilar to the guy in the OP gif) at the appropriate juncture.

Last edited:
Cheers, guys. It can't possibly hope to compete with a classic like 'Guess how many jelly beans are in the giant glass jar', but I think it's still an endeavour that has some merit.

One of the aims here is to try to steer people towards thinking in a way that gives less weight to their own entrenched biases and hidden genders re player likes/dislikes, and focuses more on what posters honestly believe the coaches may consider and place value upon when selecting a NMFC Round 1 side. In simple terms, less 'this is the team I'd like to see', more 'this is the team I think will be picked'.

And by doing so, peeps have the chance to win something cool in the process. Not to mention the veritable tsunami of cache that will come with being the smartest person on this forum for five minutes.

Either way, three weeks of thinking time and track-watching lie ahead - for obvious reasons, this is not really the sort of competition that you want to go too early on. If we get closer to the end of the month and BF's patented goldfish-esque memory appears to be kicking in, I'll make sure that I bump this thread (in a manner not dissimilar to the guy in the OP gif) at the appropriate juncture.
Great idea TOD, it was how I tried to do my team in the other thread but I will watch the pre season matches to see if there’s a stand out performance or injuries.

Great idea TOD, it was how I tried to do my team in the other thread but I will watch the pre season matches to see if there’s a stand out performance or injuries.
Yeah we need to see pre season games to have an idea how they will set up.

Great idea tho. When is the cut off date?

The Wednesday before they name the r1 team or thereabouts?

Yeah we need to see pre season games to have an idea how they will set up.

Great idea tho. When is the cut off date?

The Wednesday before they name the r1 team or thereabouts?

Nah, that was part of the plan, ferbs - that the cut-off date would be quite a bit shy of the week they name the side. Adds a little more interest if there's a bit of a gap. Don't want to make it too easy.

Anyway, re the above, I've just edited the OP. Cut-off date is now 7th of March.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Minnesota Timberwolves
Will edit sometime before cut off

Corr Tarrant McDonald
Ziebell McKay Atley
Polec Simpkin Scott
Stephenson Larkey Taylor
Zurhaar Walker Turner
Goldstein Cunnington LDU
Thomas Anderson Powell Hall

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will edit based on injuries, pre-season form and reports

FB: Corr Mckay Hayden
HB: McDonald Ziebell Young
C: Stephenson Cunnington Polec
R: Goldstein LDU Simpkin
HF: Thomas J. Walker Powell
FF: Turner Larkey Taylor
I: Anderson Atley Tyson J. Walker

Last edited:

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will edit based on injuries, pre-season form and other reports

FB: Corr McKay Hayden
HB: McDonald Tarrant Young
C: Scott Cunnington Polec
R: Goldstein LDU Simpkin
HF: Zurhaar Larkey Hall
FF: Ziebell Stephenson Taylor
I: Dumont Anderson J. Walker Atley

Inspired by Choppy's gesture of generosity in the POTY thread, and with a view to adding some extra spice (and intellectual honesty) to the suggested Round 1 teams that people post, I make the following offer* to my learned BF colleagues......

Anyone correctly nails the 22 players that will start in the Round 1 side, I'll send you a prized (and very free) Roosistence poster.

If no-one gets all 22 right, next best wins (and so on).

To be clear, there can only be one winner here. I'm only parting with one of the suckers, so in the event that more than one person gets it right, it'll come down to whoever gets the greatest number of matches, position-wise, between their named side and the official Round 1 side.

Teams have to be posted between now and the end of the Feb to be eligible. And obviously, only one side per person.

If you believe you've nailed it in some other thread and are interested in scoring the greatest poster ever made (and at zero cost!), then you'd best copy and paste the team you've previously posted across to this thread.

Ever wanted one of these majestic specimens but never got the chance? Here's your opportunity. Time to put your knowledge where your mouth is. Or something.

* Offer is open to NMFC members only.

5RG.gif

I cleaned the spare room and found the poster (as in the ones you stick on walls) I purchased at the gig. Stoked.

Would love a small T-shirt form it though! Might just have to get one made from Das Tshirt or alike.

That aside, I’ll put up a side by the end of feb.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Likewise mine (along with the t-shirts etc from the night).

If only I had thought to bulk buy and store my "Never Mind the Gold Coast, Here the Shinboners" T shirts.

1611082819059.png

I could have made reference to this multiple times over the years and twisted this by now in to how I was a pivotal player in saving the NMFC.

Imagine all the POTY awards I could have won? I could have even worked my way on to the NMFC board with this! Missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That would be a great T shirt, they should offer things like that in the Roo shop rather than the run of the mill stuff they pump out these days.

They printed them at the time, and they're now a collector. I'm not sure who organized it. Maybe Lidge? It was only my idea that I posted here, nothing else.

I was basically involved with media lobbying, providing elevated financial support, and planning with a few "hardcore" types in some disruptive practices. Let's just say that the premiership cups were never going to be allowed to leave North Melbourne soil, and the upcoming grand final would have been a memorable event for things other than football. Thankfully, these "guerilla actions" were never required.

However, I was only one of thousands of North fans who were involved in what came to be known as "The Roosistence", most who were acting independently or in small groups. Sonja Hood or "The Other Dean" were also just one of thousands of supporters who mobilized when the club was under threat, and it's a straight out lie to believe that they played some crucial pivotal role in the course of events.

If they ever built a statue to commemorate the supporters fight for the club in 2007, then it had better be a statue of Shane Lidgerwood. IMO, his radio commercial lobbying work was the real match that lit the fire.

They printed them at the time, and they're now a collector. I'm not sure who organized it. Maybe Lidge? It was only my idea that I posted here, nothing else.

I was basically involved with media lobbying, providing elevated financial support, and planning with a few "hardcore" types in some disruptive practices. Let's just say that the premiership cups were never going to be allowed to leave North Melbourne soil, and the upcoming grand final would have been a memorable event for things other than football. Thankfully, these "guerilla actions" were never required.

However, I was only one of thousands of North fans who were involved in what came to be known as "The Roosistence", most who were acting independently or in small groups. Sonja Hood or "The Other Dean" were also just one of thousands of supporters who mobilized when the club was under threat, and it's a straight out lie to believe that played some crucial pivotal role in the course of events.

If they ever built a statue to commemorate the supporters fight for the club in 2007, then it had better be a statue of Shane Lidgerwood. IMO, his radio commercial lobbying work was the real match that lit the fire.
The club should embrace the efforts and release things like it as a nod to our history.

I made it to DBH and will never forget it. Everyone involved in any way should hold their head high. I never knew Lidge (I wish I had met him) but recall all the lobbying and what was accomplished by the people was remarkable.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The club should embrace the efforts and release things like it as a nod to our history.

I made it to DBH and will never forget it. Everyone involved in any way should hold their head high. I never knew Lidge (I wish I had met him) but recall all the lobbying and what was accomplished by the people was remarkable.

The hard core faithful mobilized when it mattered and you should shake their hand if you ever meet the folks from that time, but I don't have any doubt that you and the other younger "Ardents" would be standing in the front line with the rest of us if it all happened again tomorrow. :thumbsu:

Things were going to get militant with some of us if it continued on the path in which it initially set out, but personally, I am of the belief that the relocation slide was arrested quite early in proceedings once the rank & file supporters started shaking things up. It never really got far down the path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back