Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
No doubt there's been some fixing down the years. It's almost inevitable.

But this idea most fans have that the free kick count should be near 50-50 at games' end is ridiculous. We don't expect all the other stats that reflect performance to be split evenly.

What was going on with those dills today? Were they told to keep the game close today?

10 vs 22 at half time and a bit of a square up in the last saw us lose the free kick count 23 v 36.

When was the last game with 59 free kicks paid, Did the umpires think it was an exhibition game and they were showing the Chinese how good they are??

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What was going on with those dills today? Were they told to keep the game close today?

10 vs 22 at half time and a bit of a square up in the last saw us lose the free kick count 23 v 36.

When was the last game with 59 free kicks paid, Did the umpires think it was an exhibition game and they were showing the Chinese how good they are??
When they paid that deliberate rushed behind against Bonner I raged and switched off the TV. If Bonner had of kept the ball in play I would bet my bottom dollar the commentators would have said something along the lines of "Dont these players even know the rules. You can rush a behind if your under pressure hurhurhur"

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
Corruption or Incompetence.... it wouldn't matter if they were looked like these:
fb75654241c114e3ea594d8353717ecf.jpg

Mangus Onfries

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im expecting us to get absolutely pantsed with a free kick count of 67 to 3 next match due to Kern mentioning the free kick count this week.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That SPP pic goes a long way towards explaining why he gets pinged for eye contact frees.

The Carlton game in 2015 was astonishing, I was thinking the footy media would be all over it and we heard diddely squat. As the game became close and the clock ran down the umpires blunted our attack and continually took possession off of us. I'm still angry about that one.
When they paid that deliberate rushed behind against Bonner I raged and switched off the TV ...
That was an absolutely correct decision. Happened right in front of me as they say. It was the exact scenario that rule was brought in for.

Way too much umpire influence today for a wet weather game
I think they umpired to the conditions very well.
Unfortunately they only did it for one team!

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m certainly not saying that all umpires are bad, but there are enough ex fit AFL players who would be able to slip straight into umpiring. Probably wouldn’t get overawed by a screaming 50,000 crowd either.

But can they bounce the ball as well as Ray?

I love the bounce, but too much emphasis is placed on how well an umpire can bounce the ball. This is why we end up with terrible umpires who can bounce well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Free kick differential is pointless.

You can screw a team over in the first half by paying free kicks in dangerous positions and situations and breaking the spirit of the other team. Then in the second half, you can even it out by paying some softies on the back pocket where there's no real damage and the team is already 30 points behind.

Umpires are known to even it up in junk time etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

The Carlton game in 2015 was astonishing, I was thinking the footy media would be all over it and we heard diddely squat. As the game became close and the clock ran down the umpires blunted our attack and continually took possession off of us. I'm still angry about that one.
That was an absolutely correct decision. Happened right in front of me as they say. It was the exact scenario that rule was brought in for.

I'm already worried about this year's Carlton game ...

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd
So take possession an get htb ?
May aswell let them goal

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Oh the irony, our 2 biggest *******s come from someone my cousin married

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What you'll never be able to statistically allow for is the behavior modification that results.

Port get a bunch of frees against early so go back into their shell yet still lose the free kick count.

Oppo gets away with blind murder so keep pushing the barrow yet still wins it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes frees per quarter and in forward or back fifty would be telliing.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Could have done it better. Tap the ball up in the air towards the behind post and then otherwise run it around the boundary line or fumble it over the goal line if he's still under pressure.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No it's not. It was brought in to stop defenders walking the ball over the goal line as a time wasting tactic after Hawthorn turned the 08 grand final into a farce doing it.

It's been a typical afl reactive over reaction that's been adjudicated sporadically and inconsistently ever since. I have no stats to back it up but I reckon it's been used against us more often than every other club combined since being brought in

No it's not. It was brought in to stop defenders walking the ball over the goal line as a time wasting tactic after Hawthorn turned the 08 grand final into a farce doing it.

It's been a typical afl reactive over reaction that's been adjudicated sporadically and inconsistently ever since. I have no stats to back it up but I reckon it's been used against us more often than every other club combined since being brought in

Possibly but we also got that stupid one against Michael Firrito in 2016 that I’ve never seen paid before or since.

Back