Cory Bernardi

Remove this Banner Ad

Your weekly dose of common sense

Dear Kwikfix,

I owe you all an apology.

In a flurry of activity during the launch of Australian Conservatives, some of you did not receive your weekly dose of common sense. Rest assured it won't happen again!

If you are interested in my comments last week on the political changes and creation of the Australian Conservatives, you can read them here.

However, a missed email is the least of our problems.

Right now, every man, woman and child in the country has a $20,000 debt hanging over their head. It is their share of the $500 billion national debt that successive governments have incurred 'on your behalf'.

Alarmingly, there is very little to show for the excesses of the past ten years and the appetite to deal with this massive shadow hanging over our children's future is limited at best.

Whilst lip service is being paid to making 'savings', almost every week sees a new spending initiative proposed to fix the last failed government program.

It's a catch-22 of irresponsibility, with every Australian wearing the cost.

That's why we need to restore some accountability and transparency to our parliament. I call it 'Cleaning up Canberra'.

The government's proposal to remove access to the Gold Pass (which provides unlimited travel to some former politicians) is a good start, but it exempts our former Prime Ministers.

My goal is to stop all post-parliamentary benefits for former politicians, and if we are to extend some support to former Prime Ministers surely it must be subject to a qualifying period.

The last decade has seen a revolving door of leaders, none of whom have even completed a single term. Why should such behaviour be rewarded with any special benefits when the negative consequences are borne by us all?

My solution is to offer support for former PMs only after they have been in the job for four years. It seems a reasonable balance between recognising our political leaders whilst meeting community expectations.

It remains to be seen whether my proposal will be supported by the major parties.

There is a lot more we can do to help restore faith and confidence in our political representation, however this is a small step in the right direction.

The more Australians who get behind this campaign, the more effective it will be. You can register your support through the Australian Conservatives website.

We'd love to have you with us.

Until next week.

Cory_signature.gif

Cory Bernardi

You should all bow down before me as my debt is $0. Now start paying your credit cards.

On the idea of one term PMs having a lot of items reduced I don't mind it in principle

I notice MP entitlements don't concern him, interesting that!!

I'd be more impressed if he actually quit rather than just threatening to everytime he needs a bit of attention.

He reminds me of the posters on bf who always threaten to quit bf because of the tyrants or flowersniffers or snowflakes and so on, but are literally posting minutes after walking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange as he thought he was of the left

http://zanettisview.com/story/why-angry-anderson-became-an-ala-senate-candidate-/2987

He’s become more politically involved in recent years, transitioning from his Labor roots to a supporter of conservative, Christian values.
Late last year, a new political party was born, the Australian Liberty Alliance.

Anderson’s conservative and immigration views were becoming well known.

He was invited to MC the party’s Sydney and Melbourne launches, and naturally enough, he was sounded out as a possible Senate candidate.

While happy to help the party with public endorsement, the thought of another tilt at politics was the furthest thing from his Utopian dream of a property out bush.

But he hadn’t counted on Kirralie Smith.

He's been writing for them since the late 90s.
Since 2002, the daily circulation has declined from 549,000 to 318,000.
The slide is due to many factors, but it's hard to say he's done anything to stop it.
I would suggest that Murdoch retains him as a propagandist to the Australian version of Trump's braindead demographic.

Interesting that The West have just started publishing him and Miranda after striking a content-sharing deal with News Corp, only to experience their worst quarterly circulation drop in years.

Interesting that The West have just started publishing him and Miranda after striking a content-sharing deal with News Corp, only to experience their worst quarterly circulation drop in years.

I haven't bought the West Australian for more than a decade and it certainly won't start now with Andrew Bolt having full page editorials.

They should be ashamed of themselves. At least Gerard Henderson acknowledged that the left had some good points and didn't generally resort to infantile insults and being inflammatory to make his argument.

Your weekly dose of common sense

Nikki Haley is the new US Ambassador to the United Nations who recently attended her first Security Council meeting on Middle East issues. Her comments in the press following the meeting were scathing. Haley said:

"The Security Council is supposed to discuss how to maintain international peace and security. But at our meeting on the Middle East, the discussion was not about Hezbollah’s illegal build-up of rockets in Lebanon. It was not about the money and weapons Iran provides to terrorists. It was not about how we defeat ISIS. It was not about how we hold Bashar al-Assad accountable for the slaughter of hundreds and thousands of civilians. No, instead, the meeting focused on criticizing Israel, the one true democracy in the Middle East. I am new around here, but I understand that's how the Council has operated, month after month, for decades."

"I'm here to say the United States will not turn a blind eye to this anymore. I am here to underscore the ironclad support of the United States for Israel. I'm here to emphasize the United States is determined to stand up to the UN's anti-Israel bias."

Her observation matched my own experience at the UN last year. The very first meeting I went to was an Israel-bashing session which was 6o minutes of alternative truth. Led by the 'State of Palestine' (which only exists at the United Nations) the anti-Israel agenda was supported by the PC Western world.

We know that no nation is perfect. However, to blame the centuries-old Middle East problems on the only democratic nation in the region is astounding. But this is the way of the modern progressive agenda.

The left's duality of logic means it’s a travesty for the US President to temporarily suspend entry to the USA by citizens of known problem nations but it's OK for these same nations to refuse entry to any Israeli citizen. Such is their hatred of Jews and the Jewish state, some of these countries don’t even include Israel on their world maps.

I’m glad Australia is on Israel’s map, as we enjoy a visit right now from Prime Minister Netanyahu – the first serving Prime Minister of Israel to ever visit Australia. Of course, a number of 'prominent' Australians (read: elites) are mobilising to protest the visit.

Green totalitarians advocate boycotts of Jewish-owned businesses and some useful idiots in the media back them up. Many of these same people say paying an Islamic religious tax in the form of shonky Halal certification is OK and that those of us opposed to this scam are simply being 'racist'.

These same useful idiots have defended the crooked Australian Federation of Islamic Councils and the cultural sensitivities of schools allowing Muslim boys not to shake hands with women.

It’s clear there are none so blind as those who refuse to see the hypocrisy of their own positions.

Alarmingly, we see too many myopic politicians in the major parties today. Whether it is fear or ignorance, many choose to ignore reality and pursue the alternative truth that suits their agenda. The big problem is that their agenda isn’t one that benefits you!

The recent frank comments by Nikki Haley on behalf of the United States suggest that might be about to change. Let's hope we feel that change Down Under too.

Until next week.

Cory_signature.gif

Cory Bernardi

P.S – My new political movement Australian Conservatives is driving change in Australia. If you’d like to get involved we’d love to have you with us - go to www.conservatives.org.au.

There is a quivering, illiterate non-entity on here that keeps referring to a Murdoch publication as the Hebrew News. Quite pathetic is it not?

Dont think most will disagree with that

That's very interesting, since for the last decade or more The Australian has wasted ink, almost daily, bashing The West as part of their standard circulation procedure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back