Cory Bernardi

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't bought the West Australian for more than a decade and it certainly won't start now with Andrew Bolt having full page editorials.

They should be ashamed of themselves. At least Gerard Henderson acknowledged that the left had some good points and didn't generally resort to infantile insults and being inflammatory to make his argument.

Henderson's biggest issue (and, indeed, a feature of all the thankfully diminishing band of DLP deplorables) has always been his tendency to re-write history at any and every opportunity.
Mind you, he's been doing it ever since I first came across him in the 1960s, so he's unlikely to stop now.

I'm for Gonski and I've always thought that teachers (and police) need to be much higher educated, paid, respected. I was a high performer at School and Uni, no one I hung out with considered teaching, it was law, engineering or commerce mainly. I would be happy to pay a teachers levy.
I'm not sold on a carbon tax, I work in an industry that profitedered from it (not me personally but I saw what went on and people made a lot of money that didn't deserve it) it wasn't executed at all well. Carbon trading, carbon credits. Why? It made unfeasible projects feasible. Maybe I remember Gillard as just that, some good ideas but poor execution, and thanks for jogging my memory.
Are there any long lasting benefits from Gillard, in the end she couldn't lead. She never won a majority parliament which I think says something about the publics perception of her ability to initiate real positive change.

Where Gonski sought to improve education outcomes I'm with you Jel, how could you not be, BUT ............. CONski:​
http://www.watoday.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/the-four-great-myths-of-gonski--why-christopher-pyne-was-right-20170223-guk0ue.html

1.First, many people believe the Gonski report said additional funding was the key to improving education.
Wrong. "The Gonski report did not see additional funding as the key to improving Australian education. It's most critical recommendations were about the redistribution of existing funding to individual schools on the basis of measured need," Boston said.

2. The second common misunderstanding was that the Gillard and second Rudd governments, having adopted Gonski's approach, then reached "Gonski agreements" with the states, promising additional "Gonski funding" over six years.

Nothing Gonski about it. Gonski recommended that the loading for non-government schools as a proportion of "average government school recurrent costs" – a biased formula that meant public funding for new places for children in disadvantaged government schools automatically increased the federal government grants to non-government schools, without any consideration of disadvantage – should cease.

3. The third misunderstanding – which Boston labels "the Fairfax view" (not this time, Ken) – is that most of the problems facing Australian education would be solved if we got the last two years of "Gonski funding".

It true that, so as to disguise the true cost of Labor's politically gutless, bastardised version of Gonski, it was to be phased in over six calendar years, with the bulk of the cost loaded into the last two years, 2018 and 2019.

This was $4.5 billion, which the Turnbull government has cut to $1.2 billion over the four years to 2021.

Even so, "providing the so-called 'last two years of Gonski funding' will not deal with the fundamental problem facing Australian education. Neither side of politics is talking about the strategic redistribution of available funding to the things that matter in the schools that need it, on the basis of measuring the need of each individual school," Boston said.

4. The fourth common misconception is that the two sides of politics are poles apart. At one level, yes. What they have in common, however, is that neither is genuinely interested in moving to needs-based funding.

"The government and opposition are fluffing around the margins of the issue, and neither appears to understand the magnitude of the reform that is needed, or – if they do – to have the capacity to tackle it," Boston said.

"Equity and school outcomes have both deteriorated sharply since we wrote the Gonski report.

There is not much attempt by the media to address the issues, so well done on this effort !!

Typical of the mess this country has been in since the 2008 election, the voters short changed by the political class, no different to the UK or USA - how can anyone vote for the imposters in Canberra these days ... :thumbsdown:

Bernardi
is so typical, the only thing he is on about is himself, having so recently dudded the majority who voted for him.

Henderson's biggest issue (and, indeed, a feature of all the thankfully diminishing band of DLP deplorables) has always been his tendency to re-write history at any and every opportunity.

Gets a pass for being able to wind up David Marr who has elevated plonkerism to new heights. Law degree vs Arts, maybe not a fair fight but amusing.

Gets a pass for being able to wind up David Marr who has elevated plonkerism to new heights. Law degree vs Arts, maybe not a fair fight but amusing.

Each of them have both Law and Arts degrees (like me), but neither of them practised Law, so I doubt that is the difference.

The differences are more likely that (a) Henderson is smarter, and (b) He has been involved in party politics since he was 15, and has studied, taught and worked in politics all his adult life; he has learned more about argument and (especially) debate and rhetoric than Marr ever knew.

He would probably justify it on HS circulation figures, I reckon. Like you suggest, he comes across as someone desperate to be important on the national stage, but it seems to me his quest is undermined by his idiotic followers. Random example: I was reading one of his hit pieces on the NBN last year and one of his thralls made the illuminating comment that "fibre will always be better than wifi because light travels faster than sound".

Unless that was a troll. Anyone here going to put their hand up?

On SGP511 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great troll if so. It would have eluded the majority of the Liberal front bench.

Stopped at alternative truth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cory goes by the edict that "everyone deserves a turn running the country" and now it's the idiots turn led by him.
All the idiots will agree.
Our hope is there are less idiots then us.
If not the ban on vaccinations which follows should see the balance restored asap.

Your weekly dose of common sense

Eight years ago I wrote in my weekly e-mail that the first home owners grant should go. I argued that it drove up the prices of housing to the advantage of existing owners and did nothing to make first homes more affordable. At the time, then backbenchers (now senior ministers) who call themselves economic conservatives were arguing that the grant should be doubled or even tripled. It was a foolish and populist quest that ignored the reality of economics and human nature.

I even recall getting a phone call from an annoyed frontbencher to tick me off for opening this can of worms. Amazingly, during that conversation it was accepted that dropping the first home owners grant would make housing more affordable than retaining it.

Therein lies the reality of modern politics. You argue publicly to retain a policy even though it has the opposite effect of what you intend because it makes you look like you are doing something. Sure, it might waste money but what price can you put on ‘decisive action’?

Consider that these people are now a senior part of the government and it's no wonder there seems to be little difference between the major parties.

But the lessons haven’t been learned at any tier of government. The Victorian government announced this week some new initiatives to help first home owners. They are as absurd and irresponsible as previous attempts.

The first step was to axe stamp duty for first home owners up to a threshold level. Now, reducing taxes is a good idea but the respite will be short lived as buyers will just bid up prices to match their increasing cash availability. In fact, it could make things worse as banks wouldn’t previously lend to pay stamp duty costs whereas now they will finance the additional house purchase price. What could go wrong? More debt and higher prices for those buying their first home.

But that’s not the dumbest thing the Victorian government has announced. They will also be co-investing in the purchase of homes (up to 25%) to make them more affordable. That’s right, if you can’t afford a home the government will partner with you. I am not sure what happens if your property falls in value or you can’t pay your mortgage. Will the government bail you out or meet your mortgage commitments? I guess the answers are all in the detail which is yet to be announced. However it means that all of us are underwriting the purchase of other people’s houses through our tax dollars. The Federal Treasurer finds the policy ‘interesting’. I find it idiotic.

Wouldn’t it be simpler and neater for the government merely to nationalise the banks and control housing affordability that way? And no, I don’t advocate that course of action but the principle is similar. I am sure some in politics would find that proposal ‘interesting’ too!

Now, few will argue that housing affordability isn’t a problem but cash handouts and government lending won’t solve it. There are two keys to making housing more affordable and they can both be fixed by government.

The first is supply. State governments currently land bank and impose impediments to the release of new land for housing. Increase supply and prices will stabilise or fall as demand is met. Sure that won’t mean a 25-year-old hipster will be able to afford a harbour-side house in Sydney but it will mean the regular family should have a realistic aspiration of becoming homeowners.

The second is taxation. It is estimated that around 40% of the construction cost of a new home is attributable to various taxes and charges. These need to be reduced. Lower personal taxation rates will also reduce the incentive for people to ‘negatively gear’ into housing in order to cut their high marginal tax obligations. In turn, this will reduce the taxpayer-funded ‘subsidy’ to residential property investors.

The crisis of housing affordability demonstrates once again that government programs, no matter how well meaning, often create far greater problems than they solve. Far better to let the market do its work and to ensure that individuals accept the consequences of their own decisions. Property prices are cyclical like every other asset class. There is a time to purchase, a time to hold and a time to sell. In an attempt to break this cycle, successive governments have made the problem much worse than it should be.

Until next week.

Cory_signature.gif

Cory Bernardi

Poor old DumBum Bernardi.

Just love para 3 above of his all-too-regular Official Butt-Wipe, especially

Therein lies the reality of modern politics. You argue publicly to retain a policy even though it has the opposite effect of what you intend because it makes you look like you are doing something.

He is so dumb and ego-blinded that he doesn't realise that this is a precise summary of his political philosophy, and all he ever says and does and all he has ever said and done.

He should adopt it as the official slogan of his new cult.

He would probably justify it on HS circulation figures, I reckon. Like you suggest, he comes across as someone desperate to be important on the national stage, but it seems to me his quest is undermined by his idiotic followers. Random example: I was reading one of his hit pieces on the NBN last year and one of his thralls made the illuminating comment that "fibre will always be better than wifi because light travels faster than sound".

Unless that was a troll. Anyone here going to put their hand up?

On SGP511 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Somebody got there wi-fi and hi-fi mixed up. Easy to do with JB selling wi-fi devices.

Any thoughts on if the WA election means anything for his Australian Conservative (he gets to pluralise it when he has more than one person in it) movement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts on if the WA election means anything for his Australian Conservative (he gets to pluralise it when he has more than one person in it) movement?
Not really. AusCon's appeal is mostly going to be at the Family First end of the Liberal party.
The fact that the NATs held firm in the face of One Nation being in their heartland, and it was pretty much only the Liberals (and fringe minors such as FF) that lost votes can be seen both ways with regard to Bernardi's movement. I think a federal election, especially SA seats, is different enough from a WA state election and that AusCon is different enough from ONP that little can be read into it. Especially this far out.

Supporters will see that a conservative minded alternative to the Liberals can succeed, the NATs in WA have shown that. (And this, for me, is the big lesson - the NATs can do far better outside a formal coalition. Except of course that might mean giving up ministerial perks.) Supporters may well continue to say the Libs lost ground by not being conservative enough - that looks like utter bollocks to me, and has done for ages, but I don't see this result as being read in the same way by those who adhere to that belief.

Detractors will look at how little impact ONP ended up having, despite probably getting more media free kicks than Bernardi will get federally, and that it is a lost cause.

Bernardi has profile, and a different demographic to ONP. His is probably more the same as FF, except with a veneer of economic rationality added to it and a rfeady-made spokesperson.
If he resigns before the next half-Senate election, and avoids going directly against Xenophon, I can see him gaining a Senate seat from the disaffected right of the Libs. Especially if the coalition is on the nose and suffers a broad swing against them, somewhere not-lbaor to park their votes may appeal to some usual Coalition voters.
That is, unless the coalition does follow Bernardi and Christensen's advice and go the full-Abetz. If they do that, IMO they might hold some votes that could swing to ONP in the bush and AusCon in some cities - but will bleed seats to the ALP in both houses, especially city HoR seats.

Trump served to drag the vegetables out of the cupboard to air their stupidity.
Hopefully they are now cut down and cast aside one by one.

WA was a great win for educated humans.

Credlin thought Howard battler types had rejected the Libs. Flirted with one nation saw they were a rabble and moved back to labor

Full circle

Last edited:
I'll never understand how you can have right wing Christians.
The religion is named after a guy who ministered to the poor and disenfranchised and saved his anger for the bankers and ruling class which is pretty much the exact opposite of how Bernadi and his ilk roll.
They want to claim some sort of moral high ground and carry on like Nazis.
Inexplicable.

Trump served to drag the vegetables out of the cupboard to air their stupidity.
Hopefully they are now cut down and cast aside one by one.

WA was a great win for educated humans.

Love your optimism BUT like all Governments they get stale & Barnett was very very stale, the economy is nose diving .... Labor are going to have to slow down the dive, find some growth & address the GST & IMHO its not an easy ask even with stronger iron ore prices.

Lets hope Mr Mac can put his cabinet together without outside interests dictating from day one, e.g http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-13/unions-call-for-seats-at-mark-mcgowans-cabinet-table/8349018

Jesus would despise the likes of Bernardo and Abbott.

Reminds ne of the south park easter special.

Bill Donohue orders the death of jesus, saying he is defying the catholic church. Pope Benedict refuses, saying that killing jesus isnt a very christian thing to do

Love your optimism BUT like all Governments they get stale & Barnett was very very stale, the economy is nose diving .... Labor are going to have to slow down the dive, find some growth & address the GST & IMHO its not an easy ask even with stronger iron ore prices.

Lets hope Mr Mac can put his cabinet together without outside interests dictating from day one, e.g http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-13/unions-call-for-seats-at-mark-mcgowans-cabinet-table/8349018
Or like this you mean...

WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI) chief executive Deidre Willmott said the CCI hoped the new government would take a fresh look at privatisation, despite a pledge by the party not to sell off the state's main electricity utility.

Damn those outside interests

Or like this you mean...

WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI) chief executive Deidre Willmott said the CCI hoped the new government would take a fresh look at privatisation, despite a pledge by the party not to sell off the state's main electricity utility.

Damn those outside interests

Yep, its the sort of thing that has any thinking person questioning how they can vote for those filling the political space .... the rusted on ideologues don't do much thinking, do they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back