Richmondayitis

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2016
Groundhog's Day
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Cotchin, one of our best players of this century along with Deledio, Rance, Richo, Gasper, Knights, Martin, Brown and Cambell has been our Captain for a number of years now and I myself wouldn't mind seeing a change. Deledio did alright without many from our leadership group against the depleted Hawks who are current premiers. No doubt Cotchin's game is impressive but I see him as a Sam Mitchell type which is no knock on Trent, both tied for the Brownlow few years back (sorry Jobe). Hawks made the decision to take the Captaincy off Mitchell and give it to Hodge. I wouldn't suggest taking it off Cotch without a suitable Captain in waiting but I think Jack, Brett and Rance are ready. Mitchell's career stats have only improved since he relinquished the Captaincy roll. I would like to see Deledio Captain and Cotchin Vice Captain also Riewoldt back in the Leadership group at least.

Maybe Deledio should have been awarded it back then but not now. He's struggling on field with injuries and form and has more to worry about. Jack isn't even thought of in our top 5 leaders by the playing group, and Rance is a clown off the field and has brain fades on the field. More than happy with Cotch having the role - he's a great leader and a great player.

Lids i think should have been captain and should be now... Loved the way he wasn''t afraid to question the staff after Vickery was kept off the field, just think his a better leader in general.

I don't think Riewoldt should be captain, I honestly think it would take too much away from his focus on the game. Leadership group maybe, but not captain.

Rance I think would make a great captain/leader even if he is the "class clown" of our club. Pretty sure Bob Murphey is a bit of a clown within the Bullldogs yet is still a good captain. Brain fades doesn't mean much, if you were referring to the Jack Watts incident than with that logic, Hodge shouldn't be a captain.

Riewoldt is out of Leadership group cause of what he said in the media 2 years ago! I mean it is just rediculous to punish him forever. I would very much like to see Riewoldt or Lids Captain. You're right about Rance but I just think Cotchin would be a lot bettwr player without the burden of Captaincy on his shoulders. Sure he still is best player for us most days but Imo that is not a Captains job to top all the kpi's and say com'n boys look at me. You need someone barking orders and you rarely see it from Cotch and I think as a club that's what we need. Cotchy can still get his 40 disposals a week. I am not in anyway saying we should trade him. Please note the difference

Who the captain is aint got diddly squat to do with our woes atm...but as eveyone knows I am now #eco knowing for sure and certain we will finish in the bottom 3 in readiness for the draft and the next 2 years where our real focus is atm .

Who the captain is aint got diddly squat to do with our woes atm...but as eveyone knows I am now #eco knowing for sure and certain we will finish in the bottom 3 in readiness for the draft and the next 2 years where our real focus is atm .

please, I think our performance against Hawthorn proves we aon't finish bottom three....

We might not make the finals, but we won't be bottom four. Our draw is pretty decent after the Sydney game, we will get a few wins on the board.

Even if we don't make the finals, it doesn't mean all is lost. Look at the Bulldogs 96 season, finished second last then made the prelim the year after.

please, I think our performance against Hawthorn proves we aon't finish bottom three....

We might not make the finals, but we won't be bottom four. Our draw is pretty decent after the Sydney game, we will get a few wins on the board.

Even if we don't make the finals, it doesn't mean all is lost. Look at the Bulldogs 96 season, finished second last then made the prelim the year after.

if we dont then the brains trust is brainless....although alot here are living in lala land and think the tiges arent tanking, I know they are...just like the scum are and Eddie has to make sure the cameras see his disgust, while Nafan has a chuckle with Dimma about s**t ;)

if we dont then the brains trust is brainless....although alot here are living in lala land and think the tiges arent tanking, I know they are...just like the scum are and Eddie has to make sure the cameras see his disgust, while Nafan has a chuckle with Dimma about s**t ;)
Dimma's been in tank mode since nab cup. thats why hes gotta go. But thats another issue. When you look at when Mitchell was captain it was not cause he did anything wrong on or off the field that they took it off him it was cause hodge was more vocally aggressive than Mitchell not better player big difference.
give lids a go cotch got the wind wrong 2 years ago then only 4 effective disposals in our 3rd consecutive elimination final loss. Lets not be emotional and heartbroken here. He'll still be a gun player and still on our list.
this "stability at all cost" is becoming "stagnation" that will cost us going forward.

Riewoldt is the type of player who would step up to it, regardless of previous things. Plus it would let me hear Bruce use the term "captains goal" a lot.
"And another goal to jack, that's his 10th, delicious, isn't he? A captains goal if ever I've seen one. In fact, today could be the record for most captains goals kicked, don't you think?"

Love Cotchin. For what he might lack in disposal quality, he makes up for with effort and determination. Pretty much always has someone hanging off him, which doesn't make it easy.

Deledio was the best option for captain at the time I reckon, he really stepped up his leadership between between 2009/2010 where he was fairly poor leadership wise and 2012 when he became very vocal and animated both on and off the field. Cotchin was the better player in 2012, but Deledio was the better leader at that point.

It is what it is though. Cotchin right now is a good captain and Deledio has been injury plagued since early 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll start by saying that “leadership” is intangible, and it’s impossible to judge from here. My Grandma would have said “this game’s not worth the candle”. But, the topic is more interesting than my work just now, so here’s my 5 cents worth.

I don’t think the captain has to be one of our best players. It doesn’t need to be one of Rance, Riewoldt, or Deledio, if it’s not Cotchin. And yet no other post is even considering anyone outside this group. If it’s not one of those guys, then who?

Dusty? Edwards? Vickery? BEllis? Impossible to imagine.

Houli? Hard to imagine…

Vlassy? Too young, and frankly, needs to work on being more involved in the game himself, not worrying about how his teammates are travelling.

Chaplin? Maric? Personally, I think Maric would have been perfect in past seasons, but both those guys look better in the VFL just now.

That leaves us with a choice between Deledio, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt. I can’t think of many, if any, good captains that played FF or FB. Not involved often enough by definition. Deledio or Cotchin? All the depth of Lake Eyre...

It begs the question does it matter right now? I don’t think so. It’s hard to think of a premiership team with a mediocre captain, so no doubt it’s an important element of a premiership, but that’s not our problem right now. Our problem right now is playing four competitive quarters. Nathan Jones is a great example of how an inspirational captain doesn’t make your team competitive for four quarters.

I’ll start by saying that “leadership” is intangible, and it’s impossible to judge from here. My Grandma would have said “this game’s not worth the candle”. But, the topic is more interesting than my work just now, so here’s my 5 cents worth.

I don’t think the captain has to be one of our best players. It doesn’t need to be one of Rance, Riewoldt, or Deledio, if it’s not Cotchin. And yet no other post is even considering anyone outside this group. If it’s not one of those guys, then who?

Houli? Hard to imagine…

Vlassy? Too young, and frankly, needs to work on being more involved in the game himself, not worrying about how his teammates are travelling.

Chaplin? Maric? Personally, I think Maric would have been perfect in past seasons, but both those guys look better in the VFL just now.

That leaves us with a choice between Deledio, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt. I can’t think of many, if any, good captains that played FF or FB. Not involved often enough by definition. Deledio or Cotchin? All the depth of Lake Eyre...

It begs the question does it matter right now? I don’t think so. It’s hard to think of a premiership team with a mediocre captain, so no doubt it’s an important element of a premiership, but that’s not our problem right now. Our problem right now is playing four competitive quarters. Nathan Jones is a great example of how an inspirational captain doesn’t make your team competitive for four quarters.
And thats where our abysmal recruiting of the bygone era has crippled us.

Should have so many more options from drafts 2002 through to 2007 where outside a couple we absolutely stunk it up

Houli? Hard to imagine…

Our lack of leadership is glaring. So why not throw the war chest at Luke Hodge with the offer of captaincy. I know it sounds implausible, but I'm sure that's what Carlton thought before Barassi came across.
Two years leadership from Hodge could turn the club around. At least ask him the question.

Our lack of leadership is glaring. So why not throw the war chest at Luke Hodge with the offer of captaincy. I know it sounds implausible, but I'm sure that's what Carlton thought before Barassi came across.
Two years leadership from Hodge could turn the club around. At least ask him the question.

A war chest for an old, broken down player who is known for poor off field commitment (coming back overweight) and stupid life choices (drink driving)?

Hodge is ridding on richie vanderburg's wave .

"And another goal to jack, that's his 10th, delicious, isn't he? A captains goal if ever I've seen one. In fact, today could be the record for most captains goals kicked, don't you think?"

"And Captain Jack caresses it home! Talk about a captains goal Dennis. That's the 6th time Jack has kicked 4 or more goals as captain on a Friday night when the roof is open and the opposition has no more than 3 players with 20 games or less. You just feel like if he can get the next one it might be game over Dennis."

"Thanks Bruce"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back