123 Wayne Carey
118 Syd Coventry
114 Percy Bentley
111 Trent Cotchin
109 Nick Riewoldt
108 Michael Tuck
101 Jack Dyer, Matthew Pavlich
98 Ron Barassi

Hope you've included the Big V captaincy victory stat.

But the difference is that Cotchin can influence a game in ways that no one else can.

Not only can he influence a game by accumulating the ball, he can be an elite extractor when required, can turn it by using the ball brilliantly, Can kick clutch goals, can lift his team by putting his body in dangerous positions without flinching - but the thing that separates him is that he actually intimidates the opposition.

They fear him. He has them looking over their shoulder.

That's the piece of the puzzle that even the great captains of this era haven't had. Pendlebury, Selwood, Riewoldt etc. were brilliant in many aspects, but no one sh*t their dacks when they were around.

I can't recall a player in my lifetime that can produce any of the above on demand.
Luke Hodge says, "Um...."

Cochin has an advantage over many players because he can run almost flat out when he picks up the ball his centre of gravity is so low, hence he doesn't have to slow down. Of course you have to want to do it in all situations, which is a different thing.

his creativity / composure in tight has oddly never really been rated by anyone outside of Richmond supporters

on-field he isn't as "box-office" as Dusty but he is absolutely just as important to our recent success

Good example is the 2019 elimination final against Brisbane. Everyone remembers Dusty kicking 6, but nobody remembers Cotchin steadying the ship in the second quarter when the Lions threatened to blow the game away

his creativity / composure in tight has oddly never really been rated by anyone outside of Richmond supporters

on-field he isn't as "box-office" as Dusty but he is absolutely just as important to our recent success

Good example is the 2019 elimination final against Brisbane. Everyone remembers Dusty kicking 6, but nobody remembers Cotchin steadying the ship in the second quarter when the Lions threatened to blow the game away
Plus setting the tone in the second half of the prelim that year. When we need a lift, Cotch leads the way.

That's the piece of the puzzle that even the great captains of this era haven't had. Pendlebury, Selwood, Riewoldt etc. were brilliant in many aspects, but no one sh*t their dacks when they were around.

I can't recall a player in my lifetime that can produce any of the above on demand.
Harsh on these three blokes I reckon. I've seen Selwood almost singlehandedly drag his Cats over the line on quite a few occasions, maybe not so much in the last handful of years, but enough to say that he'll be forever revered as a legend at Geelong. One of the great compliments Cotchin got about 5 or 6 years ago was from an astute commentator who pronounced at the time that Cotchin "has now gone into Selwood mode".

Pendles and Reiwoldt are very different sorts of players who have just led by example over the years. I've nothing but total respect for both of them.

But yeah, as others have posted earlier, that's why Cotchin is our skipper. He was destined for the role the moment he set foot into Tigerland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh on these three blokes I reckon. I've seen Selwood almost singlehandedly drag his Cats over the line on quite a few occasions, maybe not so much in the last handful of years, but enough to say that he'll be forever revered as a legend at Geelong. One of the great compliments Cotchin got about 5 or 6 years ago was from an astute commentator who pronounced at the time that Cotchin "has now gone into Selwood mode".

Pendles and Reiwoldt are very different sorts of players who have just led by example over the years. I've nothing but total respect for both of them.

But yeah, as others have posted earlier, that's why Cotchin is our skipper. He was destined for the role the moment he set foot into Tigerland.

You missed the key point.

Trent Cotchin is one of only 8 men to Captain at least 3 Premierships in 124 years of VFL/AFL football, and it is a select group.

Syd Coventry, Dick Reynolds and Michael Tuck have skippered 4 flags.

John Nicholls, Alan Lafontaine , Michael Voss, Luke Hodge and Cotchin have skippered 3 flags.

Cotchin looks a live chance this year to add a fourth flag as skipper. I love this list of players, there can be no imposters on a list like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back