Could Ablett have already signed with GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

erpel9999

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
storm
Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that GC and GWS are not allowed to speak to contracted players. Currently every AFL player is under contract, at least until the end of this year. Yet GC have said that they would like to announce the players that they have already signed. What is holding them back is an AFL rule regarding mid-season announcements.

Since the whole GC and GWS situation is a one off (or two off) maybe the AFL could relax the rule for the next couple of years and minimise the rediculous media frenzy that is going on at the moment.

Again correct me if i am wrong, but is not possible that Gary Ablett, has already signed with the GC but both the GC and Ablett are prevented from saying anything due to AFL policy?

If the GC has said that they have signed players and would like to announce them, does this not mean that there is x number of players lieing to the clubs about their intentions for next year, again due to AFL policy?

Honestly, I think that if they sign players early they should take over the final year of the players existing contract and they leave the club. It just seems crazy at the moment the way the system works.

Haven't Gold Coast already started using Gary Ablett in their advertising? I think I read that somewhere. By doing that they are pretty much admitting they have already signed him.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that GC and GWS are not allowed to speak to contracted players. Currently every AFL player is under contract, at least until the end of this year. Yet GC have said that they would like to announce the players that they have already signed. What is holding them back is an AFL rule regarding mid-season announcements.

Since the whole GC and GWS situation is a one off (or two off) maybe the AFL could relax the rule for the next couple of years and minimise the rediculous media frenzy that is going on at the moment.

Again correct me if i am wrong, but is not possible that Gary Ablett, has already signed with the GC but both the GC and Ablett are prevented from saying anything due to AFL policy?

If the GC has said that they have signed players and would like to announce them, does this not mean that there is x number of players lieing to the clubs about their intentions for next year, again due to AFL policy?

good lord how often does this have to be addressed?

YES. the GC had the ability to sign uncontracted players (as at Oct 10) in a small window at the start of this year. They are not allowed to announce these players. This is what all the drama is about with Ablett, Boak etc They are in talks then they have said no to talks for a 'wait til the end of year' line. Some say that Choco is not playing Nathan Krakouer for this reason.

If they haven't signed them in that time, they have to wait until the usual process when the season ends

There was a brief window where GC were allowed to talk to players under contract. It's very possible that Ablett, not to mention a host of other players are already signed with GC. The way Travis Auld was speaking at a K.Hunt press conference gave me the impression they already have players signed up, or at least know they will sign up with them at the end of this season.

good lord how often does this have to be addressed?

YES. the GC had the ability to sign uncontracted players (as at Oct 10) in a small window at the start of this year. They are not allowed to announce these players. This is what all the drama is about with Ablett, Boak etc They are in talks then they have said no to talks for a 'wait til the end of year' line. Some say that Choco is not playing Nathan Krakouer for this reason.

If they haven't signed them in that time, they have to wait until the usual process when the season ends

First, apologies for not reading every post in the umpteen threads about this. There are that many that you can't even search easily.

My point is, Could Ablett, Boak etc have completed their talks and signed already, yet cannot say due to AFL policy?
Since that AFL is quite happy to make rule exemptions when it suits them, why can't this policy be relaxed so the public, and the clubs know what is going on?

NRL - you can sign with another club and half way durning the year and you have no fear about not being selected to play for the current team. I reckon any player that has signed with GC would not want their team to know for fear that they would not get a game.

First, apologies for not reading every post in the umpteen threads about this. There are that many that you can't even search easily.

My point is, Could Ablett, Boak etc have completed their talks and signed already, yet cannot say due to AFL policy?
Since that AFL is quite happy to make rule exemptions when it suits them, why can't this policy be relaxed so the public, and the clubs know what is going on?

Yes. And look at the NRL for the reason. They announce shifts mid year, its disruptive and how much trust in a team mate do you have when you are playing Parramatta and the guy next to you as openly come out and announced he has signed a 5 year deal with Parramatta for the following year.

Its the lesser of two evils and these are unique circumstances that will happen thsi year and the year prior to GWS entering, no reason to take a hysterical stance as far as the AFL are concerned.

I don't often get into this argument, but I will just say that if Ablett has alread signed (and I don't for a minute believe he has) you are saying that all the public statements he and his management have made about agonising over the decision and taking the time to make such an important decision, are blatent lies. Not just avoiding the question type misleading, but black and white bald-faced lies.

That may well be the case, but you'd think that would be a pretty foolish way to approach the media in all this, PR-wise. I don't believe Ablett would come out and write the article he did (or have it ghost written :p) if he had already signed. There is just no point in doing so.

I don't often get into this argument, but I will just say that if Ablett has alread signed (and I don't for a minute believe he has) you are saying that all the public statements he and his management have made about agonising over the decision and taking the time to make such an important decision, are blatent lies. Not just avoiding the question type misleading, but black and white bald-faced lies.

That may well be the case, but you'd think that would be a pretty foolish way to approach the media in all this, PR-wise. I don't believe Ablett would come out and write the article he did (or have it ghost written :p) if he had already signed. There is just no point in doing so.

Carr - '"i'm not leaving Port Adelaide", quoted and quoted. They do it. I don't necessarily believe he has either but you can't use anything as flimsy as lying to the media for him not to do so. Lying to reporters is a given, happens at the presser after every game.

He can't sign while contracted, but he might have already made up his mind that he wants to go, which is different. Another club can not go into formal contract negotiation with a contracted player. They can, however, have informal talks with the player's manager.

There's only one likely reason why Ablett has refused to announce his intention to stay at Geelong and allowed the saga to drag out for so long, while every other big-name player targeted by GC has quickly resigned with their existing club.

Surely Ablett must realize that the media speculation hurts Geelong and that if he was genuinely serious about putting his club first he would've made up his mind one way of the other long ago.

I've always named Ablett as a selfish player who cares more for individual awards than team success. Little wonder then that he looks set to take the money and run when clearly there is more success to be had at Geelong if only he was willing to sacrifice the extra dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok this is it, I've had enough. I've stayed silent too long. I've known since last year what Ablett has chosen.

How I know this? I'm not going to name names but I know somebody who used to live with Garry Jnr. They told him that Ablett is going to GC. Simple. He had already decided. This is what I was told.

The whole Liam Pickering spin to allow talk and speculation about Gary to be left to the end of the season, is the best way to defuse a situation which they speculate could cause massive unnecessary attention and therefore be detrimental to the player and club.

I thought about starting a thread about it but it meant betraying confidence. Now I have done that anyway, but I feel like this issue will not go away and it appears that everyone really wants to know and will continue to make it a an issue. Besides it appears many now believe he is going, I've been told he is already decided he will.

Ok this is it, I've had enough. I've stayed silent too long. I've known since last year what Ablett has chosen.

How I know this? I'm not going to name names but I know somebody who used to live with Garry Jnr. They told him that Ablett is going to GC. Simple. He had already decided. This is what I was told.

The whole Liam Pickering spin to allow talk and speculation about Gary to be left to the end of the season, is the best way to defuse a situation which they speculate could cause massive unnecessary attention and therefore be detrimental to the player and club.

I thought about starting a thread about it but it meant betraying confidence. Now I have done that anyway, but I feel like this issue will not go away and it appears that everyone really wants to know and will continue to make it a an issue. Besides it appears many now believe he is going, I've been told he is already decided he will.

It makes sense really, doesn't his old man live up on the Gold Coast now?

FWIW, we've apparently got a player that's already signed to go to the GC club too.

Okay,if you say so :eek:

Brad Hardie has also been saying since November he's already signed. He says it with such adamance and certainty that I choose to believe it.

He can't sign while contracted, but he might have already made up his mind that he wants to go, which is different. Another club can not go into formal contract negotiation with a contracted player. They can, however, have informal talks with the player's manager.

yes he can, pen to paper. As long as you are out of contract in Oct 10 you can sign, the AFL have massaged the rules for the GC (and GWS).

"Putting off talking until the end of the year" means he will bolt at the end of the year

Hasn't Pavlich put contract talks on hold until the end of the season, too? I'd put my house on him staying at Freo, especially moreso given they look set for a couple of finals this year.

I agree the signs don't look good from Geelong's perspective, but I will be shocked if Ablett has already signed with GC17. A handshake agreement, maybe.

Who else is rumoured to have signed? Lynch, Boak and Campbell Brown's names have come up, anybody else?

i think you're right, i think he's probably already signed.

which, i think, we are all better off knowing. from the club's perspective, it helps with succession planning - a guy like simon hogan might start sensing a chance to get a regular spot in the side rather than start thinking of leaving. it helps the club offer better contract deals to all the other players, and potentially allows us to start planning a move on using the salary cap space on the best available uncontracted player.

from a fan's perspective, again, it's best to know now so we can enjoy what could be the last year of our premiership window

and, if it's all announced then the media can stop speculating

if he's signed, he's done so totally in accordance with the rules so i'd hate to see him marginalised and left out of the team, but i still think it's in everyone's best interest that he announces what's happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back