Could Australian and New Zealand Domestic Cricket work together?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was on the press box at lunch on the radio that someone said some of the push back against expanded BBL is coming from the fta broadcaster who want to bed down their my kitchen reno rules style programs for the ratings season.

Maybe, maybe not. More likely not unless quality is enhanced. Hard to see expansion doing that unless 2 more franchises adds 25 to 30 players of equal or better quality in this format in line with average strength of 6 franchises now. Maybe NZ depth does not run so deep. I am not sure of the up to date population of NZ but I doubt it has a population much bigger than WA and WA only has one franchise.

That's the whole assumption of this thread. They're only going to add more teams if the competition makes more money. The best way to do this without diluting a shallow pool of talent is to go abroad.

More games on TV = more money for CA

So add another Australian side. One where they don't have to share revenue with another board.

Or have more rounds with the existing team.

Maybe, maybe not. More likely not unless quality is enhanced. Hard to see expansion doing that unless 2 more franchises adds 25 to 30 players of equal or better quality in this format in line with average strength of 6 franchises now. Maybe NZ depth does not run so deep. I am not sure of the up to date population of NZ but I doubt it has a population much bigger than WA and WA only has one franchise.

New Zealand has a smaller population than Queensland.

Auckland is about the size of Adelaide (so significantly smaller than Brisbane and Perth and like a third the size of Sydney and Melbourne.

Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra are larger than Christchurch and Wellington and we have like 15 cities larger than Dunedin.

Plus Australians love cricket more. With the exception of Auckland, NZ franchise locations are worthless.

So add another Australian side. One where they don't have to share revenue with another board.

Or have more rounds with the existing team.

Auckland is about the size of Adelaide (so significantly smaller than Brisbane and Perth and like a third the size of Sydney and Melbourne.

Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra are larger than Christchurch and Wellington and we have like 15 cities larger than Dunedin.

Plus Australians love cricket more. With the exception of Auckland, NZ franchise locations are worthless.

Because there’s not enough talent in Australia for another side.

So we get less money because we don’t want NZ to have more?

Clueless

Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra are larger than Christchurch and Wellington

Cool. Was curious how big some of these places were.

Twenty20
As for Big Bash League and New Zealand’s Super Smash, I’d merge both as well but I’d also govern it to where, if you’re selected on a First Class team’s list, you should be ineligible to play in the league. This should be a format played only by cricketers who are no longer playing in the longer format of the game.

If you force players to pick between the BBL and Sheffield Shield, they will pick the BBL.

I'd be in on joint shield and One Sayers. Our BBl is fantastic as is. Expansion should be to Geelong and Canberra or Nth Queensland
What's the appeal of joint Shield?

Not having a go at you but this is utter garbage. There is talent around, states are too bloody lazy to go and look or give an opportunity to these cricketers.

States are too lazy to improve their teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you force players to pick between the BBL and Sheffield Shield, they will pick the BBL.

Mitch Marsh didn't (IPL), nor did David Warner.

Young kids trying to establish themselves that are unlikely to translate their skills to the longer form probably will, but the baggy green is still the biggest goal and prestige in Australian cricket by a long way.

Mitch Marsh didn't (IPL), nor did David Warner.

Young kids trying to establish themselves that are unlikely to translate their skills to the longer form probably will, but the baggy green is still the biggest goal and prestige in Australian cricket by a long way.

You're naming national players. Most domestic players don't and won't get near playing for Australia. The BBL will only become more financially successful and the money will flow to those who play in it.

Respectfully, some people are stuck in the now picture. In 2028 a BBL contract will dwarf a Shield contract.

Because they are getting paid more. Which actually indicates that the NZ domestic market is pretty worthless in terms of expansion.

Like what is the benefit for us? I don't see the EPL for instance adding an Australian team on the logic that all the best Australians play in England instead of Australia.

Soccer paralel would be advocating for an EPL-SPL merger.

You're naming national players. Most domestic players don't and won't get near playing for Australia. The BBL will only become more financially successful and the money will flow to those who play in it.

I'd pretty strongly beg to differ on that. In recent times there is a great proportion who have represented Australia across the formats, I'll do the stats sometime but would say that there are aren't as many domestic only players with zero realistic aspirations of Australian representation as you think.

We should tighten up the schedule all round, to allow for more games in the Shield, JLT Cup and BBL, and also create as few clashes as possible with the international matches.

Also (and thi will be controversial) limit our competitions to Australian citizens only, and go back to a state-based competition for all formats, with a squad of 23 (10 batsmen, 3 wicketkeepers, 10 bowlers/all-rounders, including 3 spinners) to be used between each format (no T20-only or development contracts). You avail yourself for all formats plus internationals (if selected), or you play grade cricket, go overseas, or retire. Also, CA would select an all-format contract list of 23, similar to the states, and those players are then exempt from list spot limits (eg. a state with 3 CA contracted players can have a total of 26 players on their list), and both their state and international contracts are paid for by CA. This would develop Australian cricketers for all formats.

No cross-country merger is needed IMO.

You ever notice some suggestions to 'improve' the BBL are barely concealed efforts to make it worse?

"Kill two teams!"

"No foreigners!"

I like a thread where someone is thinking outside the box. I also like the idea of merging the two FC competitions. 22 games however would likely prove impossible to fit into the calendar.

For what it's worth I would opt for an Australian Conference and a New Zealand Conference.
Each team plays all teams in their conference on a home and away basis - 10 games.
They also play each team in the other conference once - 5 games (Alternate home and away each season)
The top 2 teams in each conference qualify for the semi final with a final following. (1st in Aus conf playing 2nd in NZ conf and vice versa)
15 regular season game with finalists getting 17 games.

I also think that T20 cricket needs to be looked at as a completely different variation of the game similar to how Rugby 7's is viewed as completely different game to regular 15 a side rugby.

There is simply not enough time in the calendar to schedule all three formats without clashes. Players are just going to need to choose which format they wish to play.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back