Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that Port Adelaide have been the benchmark and standard of consistency throughout the competition so far in 2020 should tell everybody exactly what they need to know... the legitimacy of this season in comparison to all seasons before is correct to be questioned... the only thing that most people will remember about this season in 10 years is that it was the "Coronavirus" year, I doubt anybody will really take this year's premier that seriously going into 2021.

So you're saying that a season with the fairest spread of home and away games that we'll ever see and a fixture that means everyone plays each other once is not legitimate? Yeah alright mate you do you.

Profile from last night:
26yr 3mth
108 Games
8 < 50
4 50-99
5 100 - 150
5 150+

They'd want to be playing finals and ideally winning one with that demographic.
That's exactly what I was thinking when watching the game last night.

There's this fallacy that because a team is mediocre, they must also be 'young and up and coming', but that actually couldn't be further from the truth for Carlton.

Profile from last night:
26yr 3mth
108 Games
8 < 50
4 50-99
5 100 - 150
5 150+

I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.

Last edited:
I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.
I don't mind Gibbons but yes I agree. They certainly have the high draft picks but they need them to take those next steps soon.

This could be the year they jag one. It would be great for their fans who have suffered for so long.

Can’t see them being contenders in normal circumstances and teams like Brisbane, GWS and Gold Coast have better kids when the current heavyweights eventually come back to the pack.

Their spine (if it is ever fully fit) is why I think they will be competitive for the next 5-8 years. They need the smalls and mids to step up to be serious challengers.

Cripps, Curnow, Weitering, Walsh, Docherty and McKay are very good building blocks that the Carlton list management team has plenty of time to surround with good complimentary talent.

C.Curnow, Fisher, Marchbank, Newman and SOS all out injured. With O'Brien, Dow, De Koning, Stocker, Philp, Kemp all first rounders to come into the side in over time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C.Curnow, Fisher, Marchbank, Newman and SOS all out injured. With O'Brien, Dow, De Koning, Stocker, Philp, Kemp all first rounders to come into the side in over time.

First rounder doesn’t automatically equate to good though. I’ve got O’Brien and Dow very much in the bust category at this stage.

The biggest positives I had for Carlton last night was McKay looked back on track plus Setterfield and Kennedy showed good signs they’ll become long term AFL players.

First rounder doesn’t automatically equate to good though. I’ve got O’Brien and Dow very much in the bust category at this stage.

The biggest positives I had for Carlton last night was McKay looked back on track plus Setterfield and Kennedy showed good signs they’ll become long term AFL players.

Your have got two 20 years olds as a bust? Show me the 20 years olds at Essendon that are not a bust by your standards?

The fact that Port Adelaide have been the benchmark and standard of consistency throughout the competition so far in 2020 should tell everybody exactly what they need to know... the legitimacy of this season in comparison to all seasons before is correct to be questioned...
LMAO

Bigfooty.

Port haven't beaten anyone = pretenders

Port smack the favourites = illegitimate season

Focus on your club making excuses, we'll focus on winning.

Profile from last night:
26yr 3mth
108 Games
8 < 50
4 50-99
5 100 - 150
5 150+

14 players 25yo and under last night and Doc @ 26yo. Demographics aren't static and will alter dramatically in the next couple of years when those who skew the averages retire. What the Blues need is to get Papley at season's end and find someone who can take Jones' role in defence. Transitioning out the other 5 (Murphy, Newnes, Casboult, Simpson, Curnow) are manageable.

Your have got two 20 years olds as a bust? Show me the 20 years olds at Essendon that are not a bust by your standards?

3rd year players who’ve played 35 and 40 games each. Less than 10 of those combined would have been AFL standard.

I wouldn’t trade Brayden Ham who went pick 82 in 2018 draft for either of them.

giphy.gif

hahaha NO!

Before I opened the thread I knew it was a Carlton fan. Just had to be.

And no, no chance. West coast. Gws, Collingwood, Richmond. There's the top 4, one of those the premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back