Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitive and (at times dominant) in almost every game.
Docherty, Weitering and Jones gelling great defense.
Struggle traditionally @ Marvel- not a problem this year.
Less Reliant on Cripps this season.
Kreuzer (hopefully) to return-would be a huge addition.
Potent forward line with three talls all hitting form and Betts on fire.
Such a crazy season anythings possible.
Looked so good tonight, only Brisbane and PA have looked so good in games.
Many more things could be said...

Thoughts?

One swallow doesn't make a summer !!

Let's see how we go next week against Port before you go breaking your fly in premature excitement.

Coaches have been saying for years "If you're just 5% off your intensity you can lose any game" and I haven't really believed it. The gap between the top and middle sides yet alone top and bottom has been too big to bridge.

But this year I do believe it. Games are usually pretty tight and tough early and then a team can get a run on and have the game won, or get a run on early, falter and then end up in trouble.

I really like Carlton's backline. I really like their ball movement. Their forwards will have days where they click. They've beaten a couple of decent sides in Geelong and the Dogs and really should've been 5 goals up on Essendon for most of that game. And of course should've beaten Melbourne and should never have fallen so far behind the Saints.

Round 7 is usually the cut off point where the ladder gets pretty close to how it will finish in terms of finalist and non finalists. There's 3 teams - GWS, West Coast and to a lesser extent the Bulldogs who I see as strong finals contenders on the outside looking in.

Carl, St Kilda, Richmond (due to injuries/unavailable players) and possibly Essendon if they had played 1 more game might be the teams that haven't convinced me they are strong finals teams, not compared to Port, Bris, Geel and Coll anyway. The Eagles back home are probably going to get it together and the Giants usually find a way to find form. The dogs - who knows. So the pressure is on but I don't hate the Blues chances.

Contenders don't go from one minute looking like the worst team in football to playing three other good quarters.

Come on seriously.......

The reigning premiers just won a game off 10 minutes of decent football and 3.5 qtrs of crap...

The reigning premiers just won a game off 10 minutes of decent football and 3.5 qtrs of crap...
Yeah the complete opposite. That's what makes great teams great. They can turn it on and win games because their best is so good. Complete opposite for Carlton at the moment.

Harry McKay in the form he showed tonight makes a very big difference.

Was a liability in his previous games this year, looked very hard to stop tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the complete opposite. That's what makes great teams great. They can turn it on and win games because their best is so good. Complete opposite for Carlton at the moment.

I don't think Richmond turned it off after 10 minutes....

I don't think Richmond turned it off after 10 minutes....
Not saying they turned it off deliberately but seen Richmond win plenty of games the last few years in a quick period of footy. Carlton meanwhile has cost themselves a number of games playing terrible footy for a period. We should have flogged Melbourne, instead one shocking quarter made the margin too great to overcome.

Imagine at the end of 2018, somebody told you that in less than 18 months, both the Blues and the Suns would be mid-tier teams potentially contending for finals, meanwhile Melbourne and Sydney (both 2018 finalists) would occupy 2 of the bottom 4 spots on the ladder.

Also imagine telling somebody that after completing a third of the 2020 season, we'd have all of the Big 4 Victorian clubs in the Top 8.

Carlton could literally do anything this season, and it probably wouldn't surprise me.

The fact that Port Adelaide have been the benchmark and standard of consistency throughout the competition so far in 2020 should tell everybody exactly what they need to know... the legitimacy of this season in comparison to all seasons before is correct to be questioned... the only thing that most people will remember about this season in 10 years is that it was the "Coronavirus" year, I doubt anybody will really take this year's premier that seriously going into 2021.

This footy season to me is like an episode of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", because the form is made up, and the points really don't matter. We might as well run a season simulation on AFL Evolution 2 and let that decide who wins the real cup this year :drunk:

Imagine at the end of 2018, somebody told you that in less than 18 months, both the Blues and the Suns would be mid-tier teams potentially contending for finals, meanwhile Melbourne and Sydney (both 2018 finalists) would occupy 2 of the bottom 4 spots on the ladder.

Also imagine telling somebody that after completing a third of the 2020 season, we'd have all of the Big 4 Victorian clubs in the Top 8.

Carlton could literally do anything this season, and it probably wouldn't surprise me.

The fact that Port Adelaide have been the benchmark and standard of consistency throughout the competition so far in 2020 should tell everybody exactly what they need to know... the legitimacy of this season in comparison to all seasons before is correct to be questioned... the only thing that most people will remember about this season in 10 years is that it was the "Coronavirus" year, I doubt anybody will really take this year's premier that seriously going into 2021.

This footy season to me is like an episode of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", because the form is made up, and the points really don't matter. We might as well run a season simulation on AFL Evolution 2 and let that decide who wins the real cup this year :drunk:
Not really. Teams jump up and fall all the time. 5 of last year's top 8 are still in the top 8 this year. West Coast and GWS will likely finish top 8.

I actually think this is the most even year. No 15 games at the MCG or 9 games at KP. No double ups against bottom sides. Everyone plays each other once. the winner will win the most memorable premiership.

You'd think after 20 years of going too soon Carlton fans would have learned by now.

also amazing is that yet again Carlton posters have turned a completely unrelated thread into an Adelaide bashing....obsessed much?

They're far off. Too many dud recruits, poor skills and one of the worst for talent in that middle/high age bracket.

Still don't think they're past the "green shoots" stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back