Could Collingwood follow Richmond and the Bulldogs

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by RobbieGray17, Jan 7, 2018.

Put it out there
?

Can Collingwood win the flag in 2018?

1. Yay

108 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Nay

475 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. RobbieGray17

RobbieGray17 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Quite clearly they have underperformed, they lost a lot of competitive games last season and don't seem too far off the mark. They appear to be in a similar frame to Richmond in 2016 with a crap game plan, crap implementation and not getting the best out of the team. Their list is relatively robust and have a number of excellent players.

The question is: do you think they can surprise and win the flag?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Fadge

Fadge Premiership Player

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't win next year's flag.

3. blitzer

blitzer Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I can't see where they lose a game.

In seriousness - there is some similarities to those lists and certainly making finals is not out of the question. I can't see a flag in their current list though. I do think that if Elliot ever stayed fit for longer than 2 minutes it would completely transform that forward line into something pretty good which would be well supported by their excellent midfield.

4. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    Doubtful with Buckley in charge.

5. si tacuisses

si tacuisses Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Those glorious Exers
    Prior to Richmond doing it, I would have said "never". No chance.

But if Hardwick can suddenly turn out to be a decent coach, so can Buckley.

6. JayJ20

JayJ20 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I think they can, but they'd need more to go right than Richmond to win it. They certainly have the midfield. They'd need to restructure their forwardline like Richmond did. Ultimately, I think their defence will stop them from reaching Richmond's heights. Richmond have an elite defence. Collingwood don't have that level of quality. Richmond's top end is also stronger than Collingwood's.

7. LB#16

LB#16 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat
    Bulldogs fully rebuilt and played finals the year before their flag. Richmond played finals for years before dropping down and having a ‘reality check’ year in 2016, then they got it together and went all the way.

Collingwood have been flailing for years, I can’t see the similarity.

PP34, Cemos, A Swallow and 48 others like this.
  8. Deep

Deep Genius on Drugs

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Poll needs a “****, I hope not” option.

9. aussierulesrules

aussierulesrules Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    They won 8 of the 10 games that Daniel Wells played for them last season, but just 1 of the 12 that he didn't play :eek:, so clearly if he manages to stay out there this year they'll be a big show!

On a slightly more serious note, there is a bit of a similarity between them and Richmond of last year, in that Collingwood have also had a pretty big overhaul of their coaching department, and are also apparently going about things very differently this preseason, so there's always the chance that things could click, and I particularly liked to hear that they want to play more to their strengths this year, which is what I would think everyone should be looking to do.

If in previous seasons they've been trying to be something they're not, it's no surprise they haven't gone that well.

The likelihood of them winning the flag is extremely small tho, especially with so few who look like being able to kick a decent number of goals, and the main two by far both missing a big chunk of the preseason.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. Dez!

Dez! Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Well that has no logic to it at all.

Between 2016 and 2017 Richmond actually made moves to improve their list both of which significantly contributed to 2017, Prestia and Caddy.

Between 2017 and 2018 Collingwood have stood still and didn't make any significant change to their list, next year they are going to be relying solely on internal growth which limits their improvement compared to other teams being proactive and getting proven talent or taking a risk on something to go with the internal growth.

Dogs took a risk on Boyd which paid off at the right time.
    Richmond secured proven AFL level talent in Prestia/Caddy to go with their expectation of internal growth/improvement.

Collingwood just seem to be floating by and not doing anything to help out the likes of Darcy Moore who is supposed to be a key piece of their future, they haven't found any help for him nor do they even seem to be trying to find help. If they were waiting on someone like Tom Lynch to hit FA and hoping he'd be the guy to slot in next to Moore that's fine but in the short term at least find someone who can give Moore some protection.

*I'm aware you didn't insinuate you'd win the flag next year*

Cemos, Stan Judkins, Infamy and 14 others like this.
  11. si tacuisses

si tacuisses Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Those glorious Exers
    Yeah, there are other issues like an assessment of the list that are separate.

My point was just that from outside, everyone assumed Hardwick was no good. Just like we assume Buckley is no good. But then Hardwick turned out not to be a problem. So, since a lot of the arguments against Collingwood succeeding are about Buckley's abilities as coach, and since it seems pretty clear that we're all bad judges of who's a good coach, I'm more open now to the possibility that we can do well.

It's notable, IMO, that while they made no real list changes they did make a bunch of coaching changes (although perhaps not enough). So they identified a problem and tried to fix it, or so I would guess, just like Richmond did.

Of cpourse, Richmond might be better at identifying problems and fixing them than we are... (probably this is the case).

Darkyprotector and demondavey like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Power Raid

Power Raid TheBrownDog

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Personally I think the pies have a way to go in their rebuild but they are building nicely. Perhaps 2019 is when they will become a real force.

hutstar and Darkyprotector like this.
  13. THECHIEFTON

THECHIEFTON Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Nah more likely to be Essendon. Tracking similar with making finals but not winning. Recruited some good players to add to a decent list.

14. Joey longshadow

Joey longshadow Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Baltimore ravens
    Actually just to point out hardwick was a big part of the problem as admitted by himself. He went away identified his faults and changed his direction ...new game plan, new philosophy,new assistant coaches, Balme, and three very good inclusions to the team in the off season... It's a rare fella who can admit to himself he got it wrong and then change essentially himself... Hardwick managed to do that... I hope for collingwoods sake Buckley has that in him

15. Bazza97

Bazza97 Club Legend

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I reckon Collingwood will at least improve but probably not enough to make the top 8. Can they win the flag? No I wouldn't think so. Can they improve enough to make the bottom half of the top 8? Yes, if a fair bit goes right they can potentially play finals next season but I think that's unlikely from where I see it atm.

16. Big Cox 88

Big Cox 88 Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    AC Milan, Chelsea
    I think Jack Watts is more likely to win a flag at Port than the wobbles winning one.

Chief Ten Beers, JR#8 and Tiger Snake like this.
  17. demondavey

demondavey Cancelled

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I don't know about a flag, but I definitely think they can make the 8 and cause some headaches. They have a very strong core list albeit for a lack of KPF depth.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they made the 8, yet plenty of people on BF are conceding they don't have a good list at all .

18. Shazza_

Shazza_ Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Nope

Their list is poor compared to ours at the end of 2016. We then added Nank, Prestia and Caddy.

They have a poor list and haven’t added anyone good + they have one of the worst clueless coaches in the league. No chance of winning the flag

19. Martyn_30_

Martyn_30_ Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I don’t see any similarities. Richmond were terrible did a full rebuild gradually improved had one bad year then bounced back. The bulldogs become too old bottomed out brought in youth then got a better coach.

The only reason Collingwood would be considered as some sort of bolter is because they’re Collingwood, if North had the same list build they wouldn’t be talked up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

20. le dominateur

le dominateur Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Manchester City
    Wow, the year is flying all along, 1st April already.

21. Frank Gallagher

Frank Gallagher A Seasoned Campaigner.

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    If Richmond could do it is it really worth doing?

liam123, Final Siren, mic59 and 21 others like this.
  22. Gavin Excell

Gavin Excell Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    That stat on Wells interesting

23. juss

juss Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    New York Jets, Detroit Pistons
    Looking at Collingwood’s list, they don’t have the top end talent of the Tigers. Martin and Rance are better than every player on their list and Riewoldt gives the Tigers a guns at both ends not mention Cotchin who was outstanding in the finals.

Maybe if Buckley had those 4 players, but he doesn’t have the same top shelf as the Tigers.

24. ep2006

ep2006 BigFooty Pessimist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Essendon will complete the poor downtrodden Vic team to win a flag hattrick if it happens again this year.

25. captain cotch 9

captain cotch 9 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76ers
    I don't see Buckley as the sort of person to take a big risk in regards to his game plan like Beverage or Hardwick did.

Tiger2709 likes this.