Could Collingwood follow Richmond and the Bulldogs

Can Collingwood win the flag in 2018?

• Yay

Votes: 142 22.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 503 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yes, the pies certainly can follow up by not winning a flag for 37 or 62 years.

I hope they do as well as all the other Victorian sides
I am 100% Vic teams all the way
Go the Vics, absolute legends all of them
cheers everyone

You might want to hope for an interstate team in the GF, should the tigers make it...

5 appalling efforts and one fighting victory, and one unlucky day for 'interstaters' out of the last 7.

I have watched Buckley as a coach with some interest due to hearing stories of him as a junior
after Buckley's future was settled last year Collingwoods performances did settle and look ok, not brilliant but ok
their players seem to genuinely speak kindly of Buckley

their list has faded since the Malthouse days
and it is reflected in their ladder position, their drafting and trading doesn't appear to be targeting the talent that will get them rising up the ladder

as with any side in that position they we will gradually accumulating higher order draft talent so the answer has to be yes
but they will have to snare some real talent with their top picks for a few years in a row
Richmond had Dusty and Cotch (brownlow winners)

Footscray had The Bont (looks like he is a possible brownlow winner )

I would say Collingwood need their next Pendlebury and a few just beneath that talent level before a possible premiership window would open for them
and that requires really good talent spotting and a bunch of luck just on that score , good off field administration and a better than average coach

they may have paid overs for Trealor , plus he has a mouth on him and the two isn't what you build a solid culture on

The recruiting of Chris Mayne and Daniel Wells on long contracts suggest they thought they were in a premiership window.

Don’t see the midfield or backline talent or A graders that the Dogs or Tigers had.

So no, can’t see it.

The recruiting of Chris Mayne and Daniel Wells on long contracts suggest they thought they were in a premiership window.

Don’t see the midfield or backline talent or A graders that the Dogs or Tigers had.

So no, can’t see it.
I don't think we have a chance to even make finals but are you serious? Our Midfield is easily in the top 5. Pendles, Treloar, Adams alone carry our team. It is our backline and forward line which is allowing us to lose easy games. Put your hate aside for a moment and be realistic. Midfield is not the problem for Collingwood, it's the only thing keeping us from being 18th.

I don't think we have a chance to even make finals but are you serious? Our Midfield is easily in the top 5. Pendles, Treloar, Adams alone carry our team. It is our backline and forward line which is allowing us to lose easy games. Put your hate aside for a moment and be realistic. Midfield is not the problem for Collingwood, it's the only thing keeping us from being 18th.
Firstly there's no hate.

I dont think you have a top 5 midfield. I rate (assuming all fit players and in no particular order) Geelong, Richmond, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney, GWS and Freo as easily better midfields.

I see Collingwood in the bottom 4 this year with Carlton, North Melbourne and Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if someone told Richmond and the bulldogs supporters to jump off the westgate and they would survive and win a million dollars then yes Collingwood could follow them.

In terms of their actual teams its the other way around. The bulldogs are already following Collingwood by being useless again and Richmond will show their true colours this year. Easily the worst team to win a flag, closely followed by the bulldogs who won due to umpiring.

those 3 seem stong on paper BUT lets get serious time is catching up with pendles, Treloar is good but is not a match winner, Adams turns it over like no other. would struggle to be in the top 50 mids in the country. who rotates in when those B graders arent there? C and D graders who play as individuals.

those 3 seem stong on paper BUT lets get serious time is catching up with pendles, Treloar is good but is not a match winner, Adams turns it over like no other. would struggle to be in the top 50 mids in the country. who rotates in when those B graders arent there? C and D graders who play as individuals.
While I don think our midfield is as good as a number of others it is clearly the strength of the side. The "C and D graders" who come in after those 3 would be Sidebottom, Wells, De Goey

I would say 2 A graders in Pendles and Treloar. Wells is A grade when fit. Sidey and Adams clearly rate as B grade. De Goey will be B grade at least. Think you C and D grade relates to Hoskin-Elliott, Aish, Thomas, Maynard, Greenwood, Phillips, Brown and a few other youngsters we hope will develop. You probably should revise your ratings

So no, can’t see it.
Disagree. Mayne was based on Gubby Allens return for a short term and he just loved Mayne as a player and wanted him. Wells was a great pick up every day of the week though the 3 years too generous. He fills a need we have as we deliver the ball terribly by foot especially into the forward line. You could see how he improv,ed us when he played in 2017.

Picking them up in 2016 coincided with a big list turnover and many senior players departing. Swan, Witts, Cloke, Marley Williams, Brown, Frost, Marsh, Macaffer, Toovey plus some others meant we needed some senior replacements. Couldn't go to the draft for 10+ players on the senior list. Swan especially we expected to play on before his injury so Wells as a FA was a good replacement. Don't think anyone saw premierships whenthose decisions were made.

While I don think our midfield is as good as a number of others it is clearly the strength of the side. The "C and D graders" who come in after those 3 would be Sidebottom, Wells, De Goey

I would say 2 A graders in Pendles and Treloar. Wells is A grade when fit. Sidey and Adams clearly rate as B grade. De Goey will be B grade at least. Think you C and D grade relates to Hoskin-Elliott, Aish, Thomas, Maynard, Greenwood, Phillips, Brown and a few other youngsters we hope will develop. You probably should revise your ratings
nah im good thanks. cheers.

I think we can definitively say No after 3/4 of footy.
Until Eddie swallows his pride and admits to getting the Buckley appointment wrong, Collingwood are simply going to be a middle to lower end side. And that doesn't help them going forward with top end talent through the draft. With Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Wells, Varcoe and Reid at the wrong end of their careers, I see trouble ahead for the Pies. Have looked second rate most of this game against another side tipped to be around the same position of the ladder this year.

Getting a bit tired of Collingwood bending over and copping it from Hawthorn yet again. They don't deserve any better though, just rubbish.

Getting a bit tired of Collingwood bending over and copping it from Hawthorn yet again. They don't deserve any better though, just rubbish.
At the end of last season their problems appeared to me as a lay person;
* No real cohesion in the forward line and no A Grade key forwards . Mason Cox continually tried as key forward and every person in the world (bar 1) knows that it doesn't work. Good smaller forwards (Elliott and Fasolo) often not playing.
* Plenty of footsoldiers who try their guts out but have no great flair. Effort is not the issue but most of their backline have no great instict. Their only real flair is supplied by an ageing Daniel Wells who is a week to week proposition.
* Three of their supposed best midfielders (Adams, Treloar and Crisp) are at best average kicks. A dysfunctional forward line is not helped by poor kicks coming in.

And what did they do in the off season to fix this?

Back