Could Collingwood follow Richmond and the Bulldogs

Can Collingwood win the flag in 2018?

• Yay

Votes: 142 22.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 503 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Repeat of what I posted a week ago - In 2018 Coll have beaten Car, Ess, Bris, StKilda, Bull, Fre, Melb and Adel. You can now add Carlton again to the list and the Gold Coast next week to beat up on. Did Eddie McGuire plan the draw for 2018?
This argument is so redundant it’s not funny. The fixture is constructed at the end of one season and is largely based on ladder positions for that particular season. We’ve literally played five teams from last years top eight already. Are you suggesting that the fixture ought to be put together based on where teams are predicted to finish the following season?

If WCE lose to Adelaide at AO, and Pies win by a large margin against GCS, Pies could be sitting 2nd on the ladder at the end of next week.
View attachment 516302
They'd also need Sydney to lose to Richmond as well to finish 2nd by the end of this week.

Imagine if Richmond vs Collingwood in Round 19 is a 1st vs 2nd clash. That'd be huge...

Say what you like about who we have and haven't beaten, but only a blind muppet wouldn't concede we've improved substantially, the Richmond game was much closer than the scoreboard suggested and we were competitive against GWS, we're on the rise, we're a massive chance at top 4.
Definitely. Having a look at the draw for the remaining part of the year, I can see Collingwood go 16-6 or better.

Repeat of what I posted a week ago - In 2018 Coll have beaten Car, Ess, Bris, StKilda, Bull, Fre, Melb and Adel. You can now add Carlton again to the list and the Gold Coast next week to beat up on. Did Eddie McGuire plan the draw for 2018?
Collingwood finished in the bottom 6 last year, so it is no surprise that they are getting an easy draw.

Regardless of pies draw this thread is about can we do what Richmond and Bulldogs did?

I mean at this stage I didn’t think Richmond or bulldogs could so I don’t see why not but again it’ll come down to the run we get if we make finals. Pies best is pretty good. Just a matter of who shows up. I’d we finished top 4 your always a chance

Finals are still far from a lock for the pies.

There is no doubt Collingwoods draw which was very good to begin with has become even kinder as the year pans out. I disagee with the thoughts put up here that that has always been the way. Our interstate travel and our MCG games is the same as the other MCG tennants once you allow for Melb and Hawthorn taking games interstate so are not an issue.

The difference this year is in the double up teams. We have Ricmond, Essendon, Carlton, Freo and Brisbane. With all of Ess, Carl and Bris having worse years than expected and Freo remaining pretty meh our draw has become a big bonus.

I think of the 10 teams left fighting for a finals spot, sorry to Ess and Crows you are not in contention now, Coll , Melb and GWS could currently be classified as pretenders. All have good lists on paper, esp GWS and Melb, but have not performed against the other teams in contention to this point. Each of the 3 have only 1 win against a top 10 team as the ladder stands now. All the other 7, including NM, have 3-5 wins against this group.

Melb beat NM, GWS beat Pies and Pies beat Melb so even those wins are not against the top of the ladder sides. I dont say any of these cant make a run at it but at this stage of the season they are the ones who have least proved their bone fides to be considered contenders. Look at any year the top sides beat the teams around them. So for mine the Pies have a lot to prove before they can even be considered in the converstation for making a run at finals.

The AFL has determined that teams in the bottom six get better draws in terms of the double ups. This is Collingwoods first time in the bottom six and they get a better draw.

Nothing to see here. North have also had a brilliant draw. Richmond had a brilliant draw last year.

Pies have definitely improved and are looking like a worthy finallist. The next five weeks will determine if they are a worthy top four side.

There is no doubt Collingwoods draw which was very good to begin with has become even kinder as the year pans out.

Wouldnt bet on that just yet. It was a suitable draw for a 13th placed side (given the AFL weight draws, something I disagree with but thats another story). Some double up opponents have gone backwards but the season isnt over yet and we havent yet played the return games against four of them.

Essendon are suddenly playing to their abilities and will be a lot harder on the return leg. And Fremantle away in round 23 is still an away game. And they have Fyfe. Although you'd be hoping we'd be entering that game as a dead rubber, you wouldnt want to be relying upon having to win that one.

Brisbane away was won in the last minute of the game.

Carlton is Carlton so two wins expected, Richmond is Richmond so two losses expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or you could look at it from the perspective of for there to be 1-2 powerhouse sides, the rest of the comp must be weak.
Yes. One team could dominate and the competition could be weak, and in another year the competition could be strong while the competition is even.

Even competition does not necessarily equal a weak year.
Defined top 2 or 4 or 8 also does not necessarily equal strong competition.

It's like saying that every AFL team with a sizeable gap between their top and bottom end is a good side and every even-spreaded team is a bad side. Both of these type of teams have examples of good and bad sides.

Yesterdays performance made my eyes bleed, but it was probably just bye rust, at least i'm hoping that's it, because Carlton were 2 men down early and were ripe for the mother of all shallackings yet they were still alive late into the game, 4 points is 4 points though.

Just like Richmond received last season for finishing 13th previously
I mean sure just look at the previous season and completely forget what came before that. The 3 years of finals, 2 of them finishing 5th and a game/half a game out of 4th.
Now what were Collingwoods 3 years before 13th?

Bit of a difference between being up there, falling down for one year and bouncing back v slowly sliding down the ladder getting worse each year for about 5 seasons and then improving.

Yesterday aside, They play an exciting brand of football and always bring the fight, it's the Collingwood way. I can't say the same for about 13 other clubs atm. Personally, I'd love if they won the flag. They'd be a worthy winner.

And yes they could follow in the footsteps of said teams.

Back