Could De Goey be our Dustin Martin?

Remove this Banner Ad

I said above that I don't think that JDG will reach Dusty-like levels, but I'm not sure he'll be far off it. Already he's shown an ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck, and he'll only get fitter, stronger, and smarter over the next couple of seasons. I suppose I'm not over-confident about the quality of our list, but I'm confident that JDG will be a shining light.

Yep, but Dusty is a match winner and this season a consistent match winner which was a big reason they made the GF and won it. I think also having a guy perform at this level so often also brings the 2nd and 3rd tier players up another level to do those 1% things like chase that extra few meters, tackle hard and increase pressure, players would feed of this.

I'm not sure of a thread being about Is JDG similar to Dusty Martin? Should it be titled is JDG capable of being a poor mans Dusty Martin?

JDG was touted in his junior football as being similar to Josh Caddy and at this stage that's more comparable, in fact we should start a thread that says is Josh Caddy a poor mans Jordan DeGoey.
I think we might be on the same page here.

The way I read the OP is can JDG be our equivalent of Dusty, not equivalent to Dusty.
Stoods Is that what you meant?
Spot on mate.

I think he can be our best player in 3-4 years time. He can be the player that the media are talking about now saying "does dimma/scott start dusty/danger forward"

He may not be as good as dusty ever but i think he can be a very good player

2017Stats for Season2012
14Games20
9.9Kicks12.8
9.0Handballs9.5
18.9Disposals22.4
Marks3.2
1.0Goals1.2
0.6Behinds1.2
Tackles3.0
0.1Hitouts0.2
3.3Inside 50s4.2
Goal Assists0.4
0.7Frees For0.9
0.6Frees Against1.1
7.3Contested Possessions8.4
12.1Uncontested Possessions14.6
14.3Eff, Disposals15.6
75.7%
Disp. Eff. %69.6%
1.8Clangers3.1
Cont. Marks0.2
0.8Marks I500.8
2.4Clearances3.4
0.7Rebound 50s1.2
1.0One Percenters1.2
0.3Bounces1.5
TOG %80.4
0.8Cent. Clear.
1.6Stop. Clear.
6.3Score Involve.
269.8Metres Gained
2.8Turnovers
1.5Intercepts
1.0Tackles I50
79.5AFL Fantasy84.8
79.0Supercoach88.5
Given dusty played 6 more games than him, and probably was used more in the mids, that actually isnt bad at all imo

This Collingwood, of-course everyone expects JDG to surpass Dusty next season LOL.

There's a few comments I've seen alluding to this though, I'm interested to see JDG development but he'd have to change substantially from numbers he was producing at TAC. I know he had his injuries but he was inconsistent and only averaging around 14 disposal where at TAC Dusty was still punching out an average of 25+ IIRC with a booming kick both sides of his body and strength around the contest.

JDG has the aggressiveness in his game, just needs to find his game once he matures. He'll continue to increase his midfield minutes and we'll just see where he goes I guess.

Dunno if you remember 4-5 years ago when Richmond supporters were hoping that Dusty might one day turn out to be anything like one Dane Swan? Things change....let's revisit the discussion in another 5 years?

Dunno if you remember 4-5 years ago when Richmond supporters were hoping that Dusty might one day turn out to be anything like one Dane Swan? Things change....let's revisit the discussion in another 5 years?
Martin reminds of the late great Millane.

Martin's a rare breed. Not the same type as GAJ but has a similar combination of strength, explosive speed, skill and creativity.

A direct comparison with the best player in the comp is always tough, but I think JDG is definitely good enough to play the same role as Martin.

He is bigger and heavier than Martin but has great acceleration. He has only played 50 games compared to Martin's 178. What was Martin like after 50 games? I remember a lot of Richmond supporters worrying that he may never reach his true potential.

Jordy will be our best player with 2 more years in the system IF he's allowed to play midfield. This forward line stuff should only be for rest periods. Partnered up with Maynard, they could be the destructive duo.

I've always thought he reminded me of a young Ricciuto and nothing has changed my mind.

I also remember discussions about Dangerfield was too inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. I was saying it to fellow Collingwood supporters in the latter parts of this season.

He is bigger and heavier than Martin but has great acceleration. He has only played 50 games compared to Martin's 178. What was Martin like after 50 games? I remember a lot of Richmond supporters worrying that he may never reach his true potential.

In his 26th game he had 33 and 4 goals. In his 33rd he had 22 and five goals. Dusty was a beast early on.

IMO, JDG is capable of 15cp, 6cl and 1g per game footy on a consistent basis, but so much needs to go right for him to be the best JDG he can be so I'd probably focus on what he and the club need to do differently to take the next step in 2018.

1. Put in more away from the club. Damon raised a good point that two years ago Dusty was a shadow of the man he is now. It's only now that we're hearing how hard Dusty works away from the spotlight and if JDG puts in the work he'll begin to bring his best much more consistently.

2. Stay injury free. Man missing that first stretch of the season hurt him and the club.

3. The club need to put more faith in him and just let him loose in the midfield. Martin is the player he is because of what he can do within 75 of goal, however JDG and the club will benefit most by more midfield time at least in the short term until clubs are prepared to tag him.

I don't think the next step is beyond JDG to upper echelon in 2018 and I would look at the trajectory of Beamer. It was his fourth season in 2012 that it all started to click. Let's track him over the pre-season, but he's eminently capable of becoming a top tier player, IMO.

So far in this thread we've had comparisons with Dusty, Caddy, Millane, Ricciuto and Beams so at least De Goey is getting something right.... I'm going to chuck my two cents in because he reminds me of a younger James Hird than can just quietly control the forward line and if need be make his way into the centre bounces to keep things on track. Doesn't need a lot of the ball to impact a game and has already proven a match winner. Forget the comparisons to Martin, he is their version of Swanny.

When I read this topic I had to laugh, Collingwood have been overrating their players for so long it's not funny. What are we basing this on?, they 5 good games he's played in 3 years? Degoey would have to improve out of site this year to even be considered a good player. The other problem is Collingwood is not a good player developing team ATM because we have too many midfielders some of which we are trying to turn onto defenders and we seem to be obsessed with giving midfield time to hacks like Broomhead, Blair and Phillips. Then we recruit a 32 yo hack who is lucky to play 10 games a year instead of giving midfield time o players like Degoey and Wills, Oh Collingwood, when will you learn?

Agree dictaphone unfortunately we do over-rate our players.
In this instance, I think we are just looking for a shining light in the gloom.
Personally I'd rather we look for positives in players than constantly pointing out fault.
That's not say we can't acknowledge their short-comings though.

Agree dictaphone unfortunately we do over-rate our players.
In this instance, I think we are just looking for a shining light in the gloom.
Personally I'd rather we look for positives in players than constantly pointing out fault.
That's not say we can't acknowledge their short-comings though.
I'm not saying that I don't wish that Degoey doesn't become a star, but from what I've seen so far he has a lot of work to do. What I would like to see from the coaching staff next year is not simply to copy what Richmond have done but come up with our own style that all the other clubs will want to copy, we need to be proactive and not reactive as we seem to have been since 2011, and for what's it's worth I don't think Lever is the answer to our problems

Can't see it personally. Certainly a lot to ask of JDG of next year let alone any stage throughout his career.

Not all clubs will have a Dusty Martin, there's probably less than a handful of similar traits or capability in the comp IMO.

Statistically, not so much in it when you compare them at the same age. DeGoey and Danger playing similar HF/mid roles up to this stage, Dusty more midfield. Whether DeGoey goes on to have a career as good only time will tell.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=10&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=2310&fid1=O&fid2=O

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=3316&fid1=O&fid2=O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back