News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anybody else think that it's strange that in round 2 he stunk it up and showed poor body language and all the rest of it blah blah blah but since hasn't put a foot wrong and has been in red hot form? Things like this don't just happen for no reason...

Do we think that that he has come to an agreement with Tony.. ... play your best and we will trade you at years end?

conspiracytheories.jpg

I don't think anyone does it as good as Crows supporters. The whole state of South Australia is obsessed with football.
Do you have to qualify as a human to be considered a supporter. Might cause issues with the croweaters

Gary is hardly consistent in matters such as this...he may well have an epiphany and just stay with the Suns and play it out.

Its anyone's guess what will happen. Right now I'm awash with ambivalence.

scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Talking Footy had Blitz, Nakia, Kolo and and Motlop as trade bait for Ablett. Kolo is maybe, at a stretch, if they think he is outside the best 22, or borderline and they think they can get a replacement from elsewhere. Nakia is no chance as you would think is Motlop unless they also throw in picks to get it done.

Personally I think he comes for SFA, retires or stays. FFS the AFL should almost step in if he wants to come home. They convinced him to leave ($$$) for their little pet project, now just let him come home!

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
No issues with either Blitz, Kolo or Motlop as trade bait (not just about Ablett). Although saying that we should be able to get him for close to nothing.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Cockatoo as trade bait for Ablett?

Talking Footy delving into the absurd ....

Half these talking heads really are football nuff nuffs .. Motlop is a FA. This is the show that has that has the journo who spun the movement of of KP games , so all stories will be capable of tending towards the pulp fiction end of of footy news.

However.. we should not that both Kolo and Cockatoo are OOC. Both would have a degree of appeal to GC. And if it were me and that was there demand , and the player wanted to go , it would take more than Ablett to make me feel satisfied with a reasonable trade. The issue would be we would get little in return for them if the did want to go. One can only hope they win a few more games , as the closer they are to finals , the better.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I reckon there will be an announcement on Cockatoo and Parfitt in the next week or so. They should have wrapped up those long term deals over the bye weekend. Quite rightly they are probably the highest priority signatures.

Kolo's status might have dipped on these boards, but club will understand he is coming back from glandular fever, will be offered a long term deal.

Gary is hardly consistent in matters such as this...he may well have an epiphany and just stay with the Suns and play it out.

Its anyone's guess what will happen. Right now I'm awash with ambivalence.
Does anyone know if he has visited an island lately?

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He would definitely kick lots and lots of goals, except for the one thing holding him back; you can't kick goals if you ain't got the ball.
Not quite. Cockatoo averages 7 kicks a game - for example that's just 2 less than Josh Kennedy, 1 less than Tom Hawkins and about the same as Ben Brown. Most of the top 20 goal kickers have 8 - 11 kicks a game. Being more damaging and efficient with ball in hand is the more pertinent area to improve while he's playing as a mobile forward.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Not quite. Cockatoo averages 7 kicks a game - for example that's just 2 less than Josh Kennedy, 1 less than Tom Hawkins and about the same as Ben Brown. Most of the top 20 goal kickers have 8 - 11 kicks a game. Being more damaging and efficient with ball in hand is the more pertinent area to improve while he's playing as a mobile forward.
Quite happy with cocky flattening opposition defenders as he did with laird last week. No releasing cocky. He stays.

While Cockatoo may, at present, be open to criticism for not getting enough of the ball, even blind Freddie can see the player he can become.

He's young, perhaps a little immature, (not physically of course) and still learning the ropes. He's going to be a very very good player for Geelong....and it won't take too much longer IMO.

While Cockatoo may, at present, be open to criticism for not getting enough of the ball, even blind Freddie can see the player he can become.

He's young, perhaps a little immature, (not physically of course) and still learning the ropes. He's going to be a very very good player for Geelong....and it won't take too much longer IMO.
IMO one day it is all going to click for him, and he will destroy teams

I don't see the club offering Blicavs up as trade bait (much to the disappointment of some on here) and not sure he would be putting his hand up to move interstate either.

His brother & sister play basketball for the Geelong Supercats and it's not uncommon to see him (his partner(?) and occasionally GFC teammates) and at times their parents at the games watching his siblings. They seem to be a close family, so if he was to leave Geelong I could see him going to a Melbourne based team but not sure about interstate; and that would also come down to his partner and what she does and if she wants to go - not always the easiest thing to move your life interstate.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Quite happy with cocky flattening opposition defenders as he did with laird last week. No releasing cocky. He stays.
I'm not for one second suggesting Cocky be used as trade bait. It's nothing short of insane talk. Merely suggesting that as a forward pocket he is getting enough of the ball - his next step is to be damaging on a higher % of his possessions. Which was in counter to Fred's view that his current problem is inability to win the pill.

Gooddroprob

Debutant
Sep 15, 2010
Coburg
AFL Club
Geelong
As others have said, I reckon Gary's made a deal with the Suns, in that he'll give it all his got this year and in return they'll let him go. It'd be great to see him win the Brownlow this year, maybe play finals, then head home in 2018. Suns couldn't ask for any more.

As others have said, I reckon Gary's made a deal with the Suns, in that he'll give it all his got this year and in return they'll let him go. It'd be great to see him win the Brownlow this year, maybe play finals, then head home in 2018. Suns couldn't ask for any more.
I'd love to see Selwood win the Brownlow and then watch on in 2018 as 3 Brownlow Medallists dominate in Geelong's midfield. ;)

Back