News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane like.
Black, Akermanis and Voss. Any other team throughout history contain 3 Brownlow Medallists in the one side?

As others have said, I reckon Gary's made a deal with the Suns, in that he'll give it all his got this year and in return they'll let him go. It'd be great to see him win the Brownlow this year, maybe play finals, then head home in 2018. Suns couldn't ask for any more.

My bet is they could... It seems there is no end to some wanting more.

On thinking about it , a little crease in the conspiracy theory is ... do we think that GC will let him go for a R4 pick just because he played ... as he should?
So Gary plays well , plays as hard as he can , go close to winning a Brownlow again (but he will not) .. and then come then end of the year and the trade period starts ..GC start playing a lot tougher ... its not as if there can be something written down. Play hard Gary and we will let you go for a R4 pick? It seems unlikely that they would say that..it would more likely be... play hard and we will trade you if its a reasonable trade

On thinking about it , a little crease in the conspiracy theory is ... do we think that GC will let him go for a R4 pick just because he played ... as he should?
So Gary plays well , plays as hard as he can , go close to winning a Brownlow again (but he will not) .. and then come then end of the year and the trade period starts ..GC start playing a lot tougher ... its not as if there can be something written down. Play hard Gary and we will let you go for a R4 pick? It seems unlikely that they would say that..it would more likely be... play hard and we will trade you if its a reasonable trade
A R4 pick would be reasonable, wouldn't it? Be worth it just to see Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett in the same team, even just for one season. On another note, is Cockatoo the most deceptively aggro player in the League at the moment? What is it with him? He's good.

It's a real worry to have to ask any player to 'play hard', especially if it's GA. If we thinking of bringing in any player who has been asked to essentially 'try your best' for your own benifit, I don't want that guy at my club. Especially if we are looking at losing as mentioned a couple of pages back a potential 10 Year player in Kolo to bring him in.

What about GHS as a straight swap? They need players and leadership (not picks), GHS needs opportunity (and is stuck behind a few now), GAJ needs to come home, and cats need two years of dangerwoodlett to go back to back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about GHS as a straight swap? They need players and leadership (not picks), GHS needs opportunity (and is stuck behind a few now), GAJ needs to come home, and cats need two years of dangerwoodlett to go back to back.

Couldn't imagine GHS being anything they're looking for. They need Queenslanders, Buzza haha?

Black, Akermanis and Voss. Any other team throughout history contain 3 Brownlow Medallists in the one side?
St.Kilda
Verdun Howell - 1959 Brownlow Medallist - 1958-1968 - Fullback which isn't common from Brownlow winners.
Ian Stewart - 1965, 1966, 1971 (Richmond) Brownlow Medallist - 1963-1970 Saints; 1971-75 Tigers
Ross Smith - 1967 Brownlow Medallist - 1961-72; 1975 St.Kilda.

Fitzroy
Haydn Bunton Sr. - 1931-32, 1935 Brownlow Medallist - 1931-37; 1942
Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn - 1933 Brownlow Medallist - 1930-40
Denis Ryan - 1936 Brownlow Medallist - 1935-39

Collingwood
Syd Coventry - 1927 Brownlow Medallist - 1922-34
Albert Collier - 1929 Brownlow Medallist - 1925-30 ; 1933-39
Harry Collier - 1930 Brownlow Medallist (retrospectively awarded) - 1926-40

So if we get GAJ back we'll be only the 5th instance where 3 brownlow medallist have played in the same team.

Last edited:
He can't even get dropped. How could he possibly get traded?!

Varcoe and Caddy weren't dropped and were subsequently traded. They were both clearly best 22 when the club moved them on. But yeah I can't see them trading Blitz, Scott loves him. I'd personally move him on for the right draft pick, but I'd certainly be happy to keep him too.

St.Kilda
Verdun Howell - 1959 Brownlow Medallist - 1958-1968 - Fullback which isn't common from Brownlow winners.
Ian Stewart - 1965, 1966, 1971 (Richmond) Brownlow Medallist - 1963-1970 Saints; 1971-75 Tigers
Ross Smith - 1967 Brownlow Medallist - 1961-72; 1975 St.Kilda.

Fitzroy
Haydn Bunton Sr. - 1931-32, 1935 Brownlow Medallist - 1931-37; 1942
Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn - 1933 Brownlow Medallist - 1930-40
Denis Ryan - 1936 Brownlow Medallist - 1935-39

Collingwood
Syd Coventry - 1927 Brownlow Medallist - 1922-34
Albert Collier - 1929 Brownlow Medallist - 1925-30 ; 1933-39
Harry Collier - 1930 Brownlow Medallist (retrospectively awarded) - 1926-40

So if we get GAJ back we'll be only the 5th instance where 3 brownlow medallist have played in the same team.

We've got Danger with a Brownlow....who's the second.....Am I missing something?

I don't see Gold Coast having an interest in GHS. They have Mitch Hallahan who's probably similar and he can't get a game. He's just not AFL standard. He doesn't have the core strength to be a good inside mid, and offset his deficiencies. Teams probably aren't going to trade for players like that, regardless of how highly rated they are internally.

I think all the garbage in the media at the moment that GAJ is worth a R1 or even a R2 is, well, pure garbage.

As a fixed rule: YOU DO NOT TRADE ROUND 1 PICKS OR QUALITY YOUTH FOR 34 YEAR OLDS.

I don't care if it's ablett senior, you just don't.

Now.. at the same time I get a little nervous being a Geelong supporter over trade time coz we are the only club who over-pays/provides a bit of charity, or as some on here call it "easy to deal with" which has some positives, but surely, we would not be dumb enough to trade ANY youngsters or anything better than a R3 pick for GAJ.

If GC stay strong and pressure us for a R1, or anything of any value, I'd hope we simply walk away. We cannot be pushed around anymore at the trade table and if it's anything more than a R3, it's no longer worth it from our perspective given our list profile.

I think all the garbage in the media at the moment that GAJ is worth a R1 or even a R2 is, well, pure garbage.

As a fixed rule: YOU DO NOT TRADE ROUND 1 PICKS OR QUALITY YOUTH FOR 34 YEAR OLDS.

I don't care if it's ablett senior, you just don't.

Now.. at the same time I get a little nervous being a Geelong supporter over trade time coz we are the only club who over-pays/provides a bit of charity, or as some on here call it "easy to deal with" which has some positives, but surely, we would not be dumb enough to trade ANY youngsters or anything better than a R3 pick for GAJ.

If GC stay strong and pressure us for a R1, or anything of any value, I'd hope we simply walk away. We cannot be pushed around anymore at the trade table and if it's anything more than a R3, it's no longer worth it from our perspective given our list profile.

Agreed. It's one of 2 options:

- GAJ comes to us for a 4th/5th Round Draft Pick and/or fringe player (e.g. GHS).

- Suns play hardball, we walk away, Ablett retires.

Back